Real ID

I just saw a news report that beginning May 3, 2023, one will be required to present a “real ID” in order to board a commercial flight.

On the tn.gov website, one section verifies this. Another section says other approved IDs such as a valid passport will also work.

Anybody know for sure which is correct?

Edited by gregintenn

From my research on the TSA website the other day a passport will work or a military ID and a few others forms of ID. Since I have a passport, I am going to wait until time to renew my DL before getting the Real ID.

• Like 3

You can go to your local DMV and they will reissue a drivers license with a star printed in the upper right hand corner.  You will have to jump through some hoops to get the star I.e. a CERTIFIED copy of you birth certificate, place of residence, etc.  if you go to the DMV they will supply you with a check list.

• Like 2

I'm also seeing May 3, 2023 as the new date.     I think this might turn into the same thing they told me in elementary school about 50 years ago that the US was moving to the metric system.     Original date was Oct, 1, 2020 so I got mine at the end of 2019 since I don't like to tote my passport around anymore than I have to for travel.     At this rate mine will be up for renewal before the implementation.     🙂  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Per the TSA: all other forms of ID that will work, https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

• U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • An acceptable photo ID issued by a federally recognized, Tribal Nation/Indian Tribe
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
  • Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)
  • Like 2

I had some big time issues getting the real ID. My passport was expired so I needed my birth certificate. Only problem was my name is misspelled on it. I had to get a lawyer and go before a judge to get a legal name change to my name the way I have always spelled it!!! Never been a problem for 60 + years.

Wasn't cheap.

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

What the h$$l does a star on your driver's license acomplish. Seems like another way to raise money and for you to waste a whole day at the DMV. I don't get it, I've had a driver's license for an ID for 40yrs. and it worked fine when I wanted a beer when I turned 21, the cops always took it as my ID when I got pulled over(a bunch of times when I was young and dumb)  I just don't understand why a red star has anything to do with "Official ID" oh well I guess I'm missing something(glad I'm not Jewish, we all should know what a special ID did for them).

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
19 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I have a passport. If that’ll work, I see no reason for the money/headache at the DMV.

I figure it will become mandatory at some point and like Erik i was there for other business anyway...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

What the h$$l does a star on your driver's license acomplish. Seems like another way to raise money and for you to waste a whole day at the DMV. I don't get it, I've had a driver's license for an ID for 40yrs. and it worked fine when I wanted a beer when I turned 21, the cops always took it as my ID when I got pulled over(a bunch of times when I was young and dumb)  I just don't understand why a red star has anything to do with "Official ID" oh well I guess I'm missing something(glad I'm not Jewish, we all should know what a special ID did for them).

It's more of a background check to verify you're in the country legally and an actual resident of the state than the previous drivers license process. You might be shocked to know that there's lots of falsely issued IDs out there. 

Like the others, I had to renew mine anyway. Strongly suggest you get it done before your passport expires. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

It's more of a background check to verify you're in the country legally and an actual resident of the state than the previous drivers license process. You might be shocked to know that there's lots of falsely issued IDs out there. 

Like the others, I had to renew mine anyway. Strongly suggest you get it done before your passport expires. 

I’ve been through hundreds of background checks.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, aknifemaker said:

I had some big time issues getting the real ID. My passport was expired so I needed my birth certificate. Only problem was my name is misspelled on it. I had to get a lawyer and go before a judge to get a legal name change to my name the way I have always spelled it!!! Never been a problem for 60 + years.

Wasn't cheap.

This is something that annoys the hell out of me.  Lots of places wont accept an expired D/L as a form of ID.  To me, if its to identify you, it shouldn't matter whether or not its expired.  It still identifies you.  I guess I understand why you cant use it for a D/L as its only valid for a finite period, it is still you and your picture and information on the thing, lol.  Same for a passport.  I understand why you cant travel on an expired one, but using it for ID should be allowed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Beltfed said:

You can go to your local DMV and they will reissue a drivers license with a star printed in the upper right hand corner.  You will have to jump through some hoops to get the star I.e. a CERTIFIED copy of you birth certificate, place of residence, etc.  if you go to the DMV they will supply you with a check list.

My wife and I got our real I.d.   early during the pandemic at the Oakland DMV. We needed four or five different items to verify our identification. I’m glad we got it out of the way.  

We have passports, TSA pre check and military I.d., but we didn’t want to get caught up in the hoard waiting until the last minute to get our little yellow star. 

Edited by Links2k
  • Like 2

I hold a TWIX CARD which allows me access to shipping ports, millatry bases, and nuclear power plants. I had to get it to be able to work on and in these facilities and I under stood that, it's a heck of a background check to go through especially when working on nuclear power plants. After you fill out a phone book size hiring in package and listing everything you have ever done or did from the time you were 18yrs old to whatever age you are when you hire in. Then your neighbors and your relatives receive a vist from at least 2-4 individuals in a big black suv and they question them about you from 30min to 1.5hrs just to get some information before you can set foot past the main gate. Then there's the psychological questions that you spend about an hour or more talki g to the company shrink, and when you get done with that you pray your name isn't added th the big check board outside his office if you see that oh boy. Well since I've had to take a medical disability from my work do to my stage 4 cancer diagnosis I don't plan on flying anywhere.

Just 3 mos ago, I obtained my real ID through my local courthouse.  Took all of 10 minutes, and about a week later I received my new DL with the gold star.  Just read what you have to bring with you, pay attention to the detail (no photo copies), go when others normally would not go (don't go on Fridays, or the first of the month).  Avoid the rush.  The government has kicked this can down the road so many times in regards to the cut off date, I don't expect them to do it again.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, runco said:

Just 3 mos ago, I obtained my real ID through my local courthouse.  Took all of 10 minutes, and about a week later I received my new DL with the gold star.  Just read what you have to bring with you, pay attention to the detail (no photo copies), go when others normally would not go (don't go on Fridays, or the first of the month).  Avoid the rush. 

You can also make an appointment online at your DMV, then stroll past the mile long line like a boss. 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

You can also make an appointment online at your DMV, then stroll past the mile long line like a boss. 😀

Thanks for the tip. I was unaware that the DMV took appointments.

• Like 1

This stuff has been in the works for years. I held a Commercial Driver's License for 40 years due to my job. CDLs always have to be renewed in person and you must bring proper ID. Well my proper ID has always been my original birth certificate that was given to my parents when I was born. Its one of those old white on black early photocopies. Never had a problem with it until about 10 years ago. Went to renew my CDL and all of a sudden my birth certificate was no good. 😵 I had to go back home, get my DD-214 and go wait in line another 3 hours to renew my license. 🤬

Later I had to make a trip to the county Health Dept to get a certified copy of my birth certificate. This new one has barely anything on it but my name and date of birth, but it is certified. 🙄

I still don't have a Real ID. I haven't flown anywhere since 2002 and have no plans to in the future. I guess when my regular license expires in 2027, I'll fool with it then. 🙄

• Like 1