Real ID

The wife and I got our Real-ID last year. A couple weeks ago, we flew out West. In the TSA line, all they needed was the Real-ID. They didn't need to see our boarding passes. Somehow they tied it all together. They popped the license into a reader, and it pulled up everything about our travel plans.

That level of personal info being tied to it in a gov database kinda scares me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

The wife and I got our Real-ID last year. A couple weeks ago, we flew out West. In the TSA line, all they needed was the Real-ID. They didn't need to see our boarding passes. Somehow they tied it all together. They popped the license into a reader, and it pulled up everything about our travel plans.

Its where its all headed unfortunately. Especially if you travel internationally. And the UK and Europe seem to be worse than the US about it. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Its where its all headed unfortunately. Especially if you travel internationally. And the UK and Europe seem to be worse than the US about it. 

Our airport security is more strict than Europe. Many of the airports I went through in Europe only had metal detectors and none of the full body scanners. They also don't make you remove yours shoes when going through the line. No one in customs asked us any questions aside from the standard ones. I was expecting it to be like the movies where they question you at length. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

Our airport security is more strict than Europe. Many of the airports I went through in Europe only had metal detectors and none of the full body scanners. They also don't make you remove yours shoes when going through the line. No one in customs asked us any questions aside from the standard ones. I was expecting it to be like the movies where they question you at length. 

I was referring to obtaining and storing your personal information when entering and while staying in their countries. Probably one of the reasons they can be so laid back about security.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Correct. The only difference is the wait in line is much, much longer. 

I got mine in 19', had to jump all kinds of hoops to get it even though I had gone through the same thing last time I renewed.  Back when it first began, can't recall the year, I was asked for proof of citizenship even though many before or after me were not asked.  The supervisor said I could not get my license unless I provided my birth certificate.  I returned with my birth certificate and the look on her face was priceless, it was a Mexican birth certificate.  I finally showed my certificate of naturalization, expired military passport, current passport, CCW Permit and utility bill with my name and address.  Had all those same articles in 19' except by then the other passport was expired too.

And I am with @Defenderon the whole expired thing too, I can see a passport not being good to enter, or leave the country, or a drivers license to drive, but you don't stop being you when a certain date is reached.  Won't be long before you are made to update your Birth Certificate too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Won't be long before you are made to update your Birth Certificate too.

That's exactly what I had to do. Mentioned it in my earlier post. But here's what baffles me. My original old white on black photocopy birth certificate had my full name, my parents full names, the hospital where I was born, time of birth and the doctor's name on it. Its now invalid for some reason. 🤔

My new updated "certified" birth certificate has my full name and date of birth only. But its completely legal ID. WTF??? 🤨

15 hours ago, Omega said:

And I am with @Defenderon the whole expired thing too, I can see a passport not being good to enter, or leave the country, or a drivers license to drive, but you don't stop being you when a certain date is reached. 

Like the famous reply from Abbie Hoffman as he was at the checkout in a store and tried to buy with a check (I think) and the clerk wouldn't take the check because his driver's license was expired: "Lady, the driver's license is expired but I'm not expired!"

I got my real ID way back when. My wife had a name change, to my last name, and she had to bring her marriage license to prove the change. She had her birth certificate(her last name was Hall on it) and they would not accept it or her or my word word of our marriage. If your wife took your last name she will need the marriage certificate along with her birth certificate to get the real ID. She had to go home and get it then make a trip back. 

I got mine ahead of getting TSA Global Entry. In and out under 10 minutes with an $8 duplicate fee. 

Main rationale was to take away as many reasons for any .gov personnel to impede or harass down the road.

I think of it like like a can of insect repellent for .gov staff. May not work on the big nasty  ones that are determined to have at you, but generally can make passage thru high pest areas more pleasant. 

• Like 2
On 7/19/2022 at 6:07 AM, analog_kidd said:

Secure Flight Passenger Data.  The airlines are required to share the personal info you enter for your reservation with, which lets them have all that on hand.  It's not as Orwellian as you think...especially since you're not giving up any new info, or anything really private aside from your travel plans (if you consider those personal).  It does show how interconnected private companies and .gov entities can become.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2022 at 11:46 AM, Chucktshoes said:

Since I have a CDL, real ID is mostly a byproduct of what I already had to provide. The fact that I have a hazmat endorsement and a TWIC card means TSA Pre-Check was also another thrown in byproduct. 

My international flying days are behind me, unless I win the lottery maybe, but I do travel domestically a couple times a  year for work, usually somewhere in the southeastern U.S,  while I try to drive as I despise cramped airplanes, there srdvtines I have to fly.  For that reason I got the TSA Pre-Check.  Haven’t used it since I got but hoping it will make it easier.

• Like 1

There is a not a lot of point in getting a real ID driver license to fly if you already have a passport.  Service members do not need one either to fly since military ID qualifies as a real ID for them.   A lot of driver license offices can be a pain to deal with and I try to avoid them.

• Like 1

Wife and I got our real ID license when we returned to middle TN. We made appointments at the Lebanon DL site and it was a breeze. Do make sure you have all the documents they require. They have a list online. 

Since we needed new TN licenses anyway it didn't make sense not to get the real ID.

1 hour ago, 300winmag said:

There is a not a lot of point in getting a real ID driver license to fly if you already have a passport.  Service members do not need one either to fly since military ID qualifies as a real ID for them.   A lot of driver license offices can be a pain to deal with and I try to avoid them.

I don't like carrying my passport unless I have to. It's one more thing to keep up with and try not to lose and it doesn't sit neatly in my wallet like my DL does. that's the only reason I'll be doing the RealID.

Side note: Mrs. 'lizard and I have TSA Pre-Check and it's usually great. When it's time for renewal, we'll be switching to Global Entry. It's only  a few dollars more than Pre-Check and includes all of Pre-Check's benefits plus it fast tracks us through CBP's customs check points on international arrivals.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

I don't like carrying my passport unless I have to. It's one more thing to keep up with and try not to lose and it doesn't sit neatly in my wallet like my DL does. that's the only reason I'll be doing the RealID.

Side note: Mrs. 'lizard and I have TSA Pre-Check and it's usually great. When it's time for renewal, we'll be switching to Global Entry. It's only  a few dollars more than Pre-Check and includes all of Pre-Check's benefits plus it fast tracks us through CBP's customs check points on international arrivals.

2nd 👍 for global entry. We have had it since it was introduced and takes some of the headache out of flying overseas.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:26 PM, kvmx00 said:

Per the TSA: all other forms of ID that will work, https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

• U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • An acceptable photo ID issued by a federally recognized, Tribal Nation/Indian Tribe
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
  • Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC)

Sweet, my tribal card is valid. I was wondering how much of a pain it would be to get my CDL switched over, since everything associated with the license takes longer & is more expensive. 

Edited by Ironhandjohn
  • 11 months later...

The Real ID Act is part of the federal government's efforts to enhance the security of state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards. So, it's essential to have that Real ID if you plan on hopping on a plane for domestic travel. While the Real ID is a primary form of identification for flights, other approved IDs, like a valid passport, still work like a charm!  Also, if you wanna make the process even easier, check out these fake id reviews. They've got some really cool deals there that might come in handy. It's never bad to invest into your security and anonymity.  So, stay informed and travel easy, my friend!

Edited by Derecaston
On 7/22/2022 at 12:48 PM, monkeylizard said:

I'm with you in the fact that I wouldn't want to carry the passport around, and so would never use it domestically.

However, they do make a wallet, driver's license-sized card that you can use as a passport. Its not valid for International air travel, but is fine for domestic, and land / sea ports of entry.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

I would have gotten one when I renewed my passport a few years ago, but it costs EXTRA, and I'm cheap.

I also noticed on that link above that they are modernizing the passport, which I was not aware of. They started in 2021. Won't require a replacement until you have to renew.

I still have my TSA Pre Check and Global Entry ID from when I used to travel for a living. I got the Real ID update the last time I had to renew something at the DMV though. Saves me from carrying the passport card or the passport itself. I can't remember the last time I spent more than 10 minutes in a line at an airport. 

• Like 2