Tell me about Taurus 1911's.

bukowski548

Can't disregard an authority like that; he lives in Texas and his favorite movie is The Sound of Music, and listens to Barbara Streisand.

And did you actually READ his review?:

"Now, as an owner, I'm an expert on why you don't want this gun. In the first 84 rounds, there were 8 failures to feed - exactly the complaint that's been leveled at this model, which I discovered after the fact. You can find heated arguments all over the internet about whether or not there is any substance to the claim that PT1911's have feeding problems, but I have lived it. This happened in both factory magazines with two different Remington factory loads, one of which was the time-honored 230-grain hardball GI load that chambers like quicksilver in most 1911s, so no alibi there. ANY failure to feed is the kiss of death for a defense gun. Ten percent makes me sick! Yes, I could try different kinds of ammo and hopefully one or two will be flawless, but my confidence is now shaken."

- OS

Did you actually read it? If you read ALL 6 parts, you will see that he comes around by the end. I found it to be a good comprehensive discussion of the problems that many of these PT1911s have, what causes them, AND how if you happen to get one that has feeding problems, how to remedy it fairly inexpensively. There are 6 parts :rolleyes:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you actually read it? If you read ALL 6 parts, you will see that he comes around by the end. I found it to be a good comprehensive discussion of the problems that many of these PT1911s have, what causes them, AND how if you happen to get one that has feeding problems, how to remedy it fairly inexpensively. There are 6 parts :rolleyes:

To trust a weapon for self defense, I want a gun that is reliable right out of the box, without additional modification or expense.

Having done extensive research on it, I admit I was willing to give my Kahr a couple hundred rounds of break in before counting on it, but even it performed flawlessly from the gitgo.

And of course my XDs were 100% from the outset, didn't even clean them before the first 100 rounds.

I'm not a gun snob in general (I own a High Point and may buy a second one) but am quite particular about what I walk around with.

- OS

I will admit that the Sound of Music and Streisand are a little suspect :rolleyes: . I still consider the PT-1911 a pretty good deal if after a new mag and extractor you are still under $615 (which it looks like you can do) for a new 1911 with some nice features. The stock plastic grips probably need to go too, but I actually like the feel of the thinner grips even though I have big hands.

Guest Gun Geek

I've seen one break at the range as well. Check out the Para GI expert. Base line 1911 style pistol http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=73 of course if you do some shopping you can get one under their MSRP.

The next thing is that I know a guy on gun broker that sells Para 1911s new pretty cheap. I've bought several from him and he is right here in TN. It looks like he only has one up right now though. http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125556892

Not that I am a Para freak or anything but I own 6 of them right now. :rolleyes:

Guest c.a.s.

Unlike him, I haven't had a single failure yet. Even the mags have been feeding. Of course, I've used Hardball (WWB Bulk), but I have some Winclean semi-wadcutters I plan on trying when I get the chance.

If you want the grips to go, you'll have to find the right-sized allen wrench, it doesn't come with it.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?board=25.0

LOTS of owners, and a couple potential owners.

Guest Tn.Mitch
Well the wife has fallen in love with one, anyone know anything about them?

buk

Ive had mine for about 5 weeks now,and ive never had any problems with it,I trust mine well enough to use as EDC,but ive put over 500 rounds through it,without a hicupp... :popcorn:

Edited by Tn.Mitch
Guest Tn.Mitch
To trust a weapon for self defense, I want a gun that is reliable right out of the box, without additional modification or expense.

Having done extensive research on it, I admit I was willing to give my Kahr a couple hundred rounds of break in before counting on it, but even it performed flawlessly from the gitgo.

And of course my XDs were 100% from the outset, didn't even clean them before the first 100 rounds.

I'm not a gun snob in general (I own a High Point and may buy a second one) but am quite particular about what I walk around with.

- OS

You Da Man OhShoot....:popcorn:

Guest Mugster
Any truth to his statement about not cleaning the gun for the first few hundred rounds to facilitate break in? As he says, "it seems that a gun that's allowed to get dirty and still forced to function wears in better."

Probably, if you can get it to run. The grit from the powder mixes with the oil and becomes like a sandpaper. I have a 10/22 and a winchester pump shotgun that I used heavily as teenager. The wear patterns are pretty interesting. I managed to shoot the rifling out of the barrel of the 10/22, and just recently put on a new barrel and got it going again.

So, I always clean mine and try not to run more than 50 or 75 rounds through a self loader in one range session, to reduce long term wear. I have a hi-power that was given to me in 1988 which still looks and functions like new with minimal wear, so I think it works, but, I only have really one test sample. 2 of the original magazines from browning have stress fractures, which I thought was pretty interesting too.

The pt1911 i had was very forgiving. I estimate i ran 5500-6000 rounds through it in roughly 2+ years, including 1000 rounds of the wolf. I had the extractor tuned to aggressive mode and about 1 in 100 of the wolf cases ripped in half and got stuck in the ejection port. The only other problem I had with it was with 255gr SWC cast loads. But they are problematic for me so far Otherwise, it happily ate, extracted, and digested everything I put in it.

The recoil spring in mine was ready for a switch, probably.

Edited by Mugster
Guest jdd364

I have a pt 1911 and i have had not 1 problem with it..mine is all factory no new mags no work done to it just took it out of box put new grips on it thats it ...i would carry mine with no worrys

james

Guest truthsayer
Unlike him, I haven't had a single failure yet. Even the mags have been feeding. Of course, I've used Hardball (WWB Bulk), but I have some Winclean semi-wadcutters I plan on trying when I get the chance.

If you want the grips to go, you'll have to find the right-sized allen wrench, it doesn't come with it.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?board=25.0

LOTS of owners, and a couple potential owners.

The key for the locking hammer is the right size for the grip screws, btw.

Guest gcrookston

I shot mine 2,000 rounds without failure. It compared favorably with my other 1911s... But I'm thinning the herd and have always been unfortable with the 1911 design for carry...

DSC00069.jpg

I'm thinking about getting one myself......I have read that Taurus has put a LOT of extra work into these 1911's....although I shot a Springfield a few weeks back, first time I had ever shot a semi, that gun was SWEET!!!!!!! Seven shots at a beer can from 25 yards.....7 hits. Very very nice weapon.