Preferred methods of carry.

scatman

What's everyone's preference on carry position, both open and concealed?

Mine for open is usually a simple OWB holster with some form of active retention, whether it be a thumb break or button press, but sometimes I'll wear my aliengear Shapeshift shoulder holster over my shirt, depending on what I'm doing/where I'm going.

Conceal carry is one of three depending on how little I'm trying to print. Absolutely zero print I'm going for my ankle rig, with my boots and pant leg to cover. If printing isnt as much of an issue I wear an IWB leather holster with no active retention, at the 5 o'clock,  or my shoulder holster under a button up.

It depends on firearm I am carrying, my clothing and how I feel that day.  I typically carry on my right hip, in either a IWB kydex holster or OWB. a Blackhawk, FOBUS or leather holster with retention. I know a lot of folks are not fans of FOBUS, but they have always worked well for me.  I think the Blackhawks are much better though. I also use a pocket holster for my LCP Max on occasion.  The only shoulder holster I have is for a 1911 and in the winter, I do use it on occasion.

Never was much into boot carry or appendix carry, but I don't have a good holster for appendix carry.

Pocket holster mostly for 7 shot Revolver Snubbie. Comp Tac Minitour IWB for discreet Conceal Carry MP 9 C 2.0. Galco belt slide for OWB carry. Right pocket or 4 O clock IWB 7 shot Revolver. Same for belt slide. I am a rightie. 

• Like 1

99% of the time I carry OWB at about 3:30. Doesn't matter what gun, what size or what holster.  I dress according to where I'm going and what I'm doing.   I prefer leather holsters. 

On very rare occasions I might pocket carry something small. 

• Like 3

TREX Arms appendix holster (AIWB) with a Shadow Systems MR920.   I have converted to appendix carry since listening to the Shooters Nation podcasts when Mark challenged everyone to stay with it for 3 weeks before giving up on it. Hated it the first week and a half but then it began working for me.   It is also a motivating factor to keep my weight down as well!!

Planning to try a Keeper’s Concealment AIWB holster or Tier One at some point. 

• Like 2

I do not and never have carried open. I do not want anyone to know that I have a gun on me. Ever. Period. Your feelings may vary.

I carry multiple ways. First and foremost I almost always have my Micro Eagle in my front left pocket.

If it is cold or I am riding my motorcycle, as I wear a leather vest, I will wear a shoulder holster with a Glock 19 under my left arm with two additional magazines under my right arm.

If it warm out and I am just wearing jeans and a shirt, I carry a Glock 19 in the waistband appendix carry with an extra magazine. It took some time to adjust to the fact that I have a gun pointed right at my junk, but honestly I am bummed that I didn't convert to this sooner. It is comfortable, easy to conceal and is rapidly accessible. I use a kydex Desantis Pegasus Pipe Hitter, I had to go look it up real quick so I could edit to add.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 3

CC only, the same IWB Desantis holster (different size) for both of my two CC guns:
P238 - summer carry
Beretta 84 - winter carry

Both at 9:00-10:30 (lefty) depending on walking, sitting, etc.

If I were to open carry it would be a thigh holster, likely the same one my father uses with his 92.

Edit: extra mag(s) in pocket.

Edited by 22mag
magazines

Most commonly AIWB, left or right. I also find it the most comfortable and least likely to imprint. Also, if it does imprint, I can see it. When I carry at the 4-6 o’clock position, I can’t see it. Also, not very comfortable at those positions when driving. 

I agree I was a little nervous about it pointing at my junk at first, but I got over it. It did make me more conscious of how I am re-holstering. 

• Like 1

To those of you saying, "I dont open carry because.......," I don't think you're considering about people going hunting/camping/hiking, where you're not so much in the public eye. Also, in today's current overall situation, I say it's safe to assume every person around you has a firearm, regardless if you can see it or not.

2 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I don’t prefer to open carry in public. I think it can make non-gun owners nervous and could make me a target, if someone was trying to commit a crime oand was smart enough to look around first. 

Those are the reasons I don’t open carry either.

• Like 1

OWB, with a smaller firearm like a snubbie or micro compact. 

Carrying at 3-4 o'clock the gun gets lost amongst all my bulging fat. 

Have given up on IWB as it poke me too much when driving.

Edited by JustEd
  • 3 months later...

As others have said I prefer to conceal carry so that most people would never know I am. I usually buy my shirts a little long and carry IWB with leather at 4-5:00, and a double mag holder at 7-8:00. I wear a ratchet belt and it is easy to adjust to whatever tension is needed holding the holster/ pistol snug. Very rarely I’ll wear a shoulder rig setup but prefer the other.

Concealed OWB in Garret Silent Thunder STX 2.0. Best holster I have ever used. Typically I carry a P365 xmacro or Glock 19. Carrying at 3:30-4 hip. At other times it's my Taurus 85UL in a pocket or kydex OWB.

Edited by Smith