Does a folder like this exist?

• Authorized Vendor

I have a multitude of folders I've picked up over the years and they sit in a box in the closet. Nothing really expensive, many are quality...others not so much. The problem is they all feel like a boat anchor in my pocket. I just can't get used to them.

Is there a knife out the say with a 3-4 inch blade that's built well but is light a  feather (you know what I mean)?

• Authorized Vendor
1 hour ago, BJB said:

I have yet to find one that last , fits my needs and is light

i carry a ZT 0350 and it’s like having a brick clipped to my pocket 

I have one of those. Good knife but it's in the box.😀

• Admin Team

Are you looking for a locking blade or a more traditional folder?

The Kershaw Leek is pretty lightweight - and inexpensive.

My personal summer carry is a Spyderco Delica in Damascus with lightweight G10 scales.

I could probably come up with even lighter - give me some guidance on what you’re looking for? Pocket clip? Traditional slipjoint?

Your question sparked my thought on a “Lighter” carry knife. 
does anyone have any experience with the CIVICI brand knives. It appears to have some high ratings 

And it’s light 

I drooled over a Benchmade Bugout for a long time, until I held one. Super thin and very light, supposed to be a great carry knife, but just didn't feel good in my hand. I ended up going with a Benchmade Mini-Presidio. Comes S30V steel is plenty sharp enough and has great edge retention for me, but I know that's not the new, hot steel anymore. With the carbon scales it comes in at just over 4 ounces. Carries great for me either inside my waist band or clipped in a back pocket. I've used it for everything from food prep to prying and batoning wood, neither of which should it (or any folder) be used for. For me it was the best overall compromise of size, sharpness/retention, and weight.

Those are all nice, but you can't beat an Opinel No. 7, 8 or 9 for simplicity or weight. Those three get you in that 3 to 3.5" blade length.  They also lock and weight just under 2oz.  They are also available in either carbon or stainless steel and are easily sharpened to scary sharpness.  And all three can be had for under $20.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/collections/opinel-pocket-knives

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

I am going to second the benchmade bugout as a good lightweight option.  It disappears in my pocket and is one of my go to options in the summer.  If you want something a little larger I would look at the spyderco para lightweight as a good option.

• Admin Team
7 hours ago, et45 said:

Check out the MAM knives.Very similar to Opinel except most of them are liner lock and the handles are flat.Light and very sharp.

They’ve got some neat blades for under $15.

I like a good sheepsfoot folder. 

On 7/28/2022 at 3:36 PM, et45 said:

Check out the MAM knives.Very similar to Opinel except most of them are liner lock and the handles are flat.Light and very sharp.

Thinking about ordering one of these! Wish someone carried them somewhere around Knoxville or Chattanooga!

I would second the Kershaw Leek, great size and weight, also not so expensive. I carried a Hinderer for a while, but just had issues with losing it....sooo much money. Sold it and carry the Kershaw now, if I loose it, I have more in the box for backups.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Authorized Vendor
6 minutes ago, Tom B said:

I carry an SOG Bladelight Mini. Its 3 oz and I forget its there. The best part is that it has a 4-LED flashlight built in. I use the light as much as I use the blade.

That is quite a package in such a small knife.

3 hours ago, Tom B said:

I carry an SOG Bladelight Mini. Its 3 oz and I forget its there. The best part is that it has a 4-LED flashlight built in. I use the light as much as I use the blade.

No fair, that knife has been discontinued, boo-hoo.😰