Assault weapons ban passed in House of Representatives

9 hours ago, Father Goose said:

BTW, I love the end: 

---
SEC. 7. SEVERABILITY.

If any provision of this Act, an amendment made by this Act, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, the remainder of this Act, the amendments made by this Act, and the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance shall not be affected thereby."
---

Well, this whole thing is unconstitutional...

So if they find Sec 7 unconstitutional the whole thing gets thrown out?

15 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

So if they find Sec 7 unconstitutional the whole thing gets thrown out?

As I read it, if any part of the bill is unconstitutional, only that part will be deemed a violation to be revoked. I just find it a little arrogant to tack that onto this bill. Outside of the probable political show, it sounds like they don't really care what is unconstitutional until it's proven not to be in court. As that can usually take awhile, they can get away with a potentially illegal law from the beginning. It's not surprising, but it's rather sad that this type of behavior seems to be the norm anymore. Where's the accountability?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Father Goose said:

Where's the accountability?

It is supposed to be with us the voters. However the leftist commies use lies and hearsay to get voters to vote like they want. They also use mail in ballot thing, harvesting, flat out stealing elections. There is no true accountability to our government anymore.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Father Goose said:

As I read it, if any part of the bill is unconstitutional, only that part will be deemed a violation to be revoked. I just find it a little arrogant to tack that onto this bill.

Severability clauses are quite common in bills ...

If this does somehow pass the Senate, I'm pretty sure there will be constitutional issues. Congressman Dan Bishop (R-NC) got Jerry Nadler to admit on record in a hearing that the bill's goal was to restrict guns "in common use". That comment goes directly against prior Supreme Court rulings. The Chairman of the committee was banging the gavel as Jerry was speaking to try to get him to shut up, because he knew the damage Jerry was causing to the bill. Lol   

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Omega said:

Seems there may be a way to deal with them if they come a knocking.

You gotta love a cop who does his job. Even when dealing with an idiot who thinks he is better than everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/3/2022 at 7:41 PM, Omega said:

Seems there may be a way to deal with them if they come a knocking.

There are quite a few Sheriffs and Police Chiefs in TN that say that they are against a lot of things the Feds and their law enforcement do. By saying that, most of them mean they will not assist federal law enforcement, but it a whole other level to actually hold them accountable. We need more local law enforcement like this guy.  

When the officers were trying to cuff him, that ATF agent sounded like a typical street thug- "I'm not getting on the ground", "I'm not resisting" (as he is resisting), "I have a medical condition", "I can't breathe", "My wife is pregnant".  What a jerk drama queen. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pardon my thread kidnapping, but watched our fearless leader yesterday state that AR's are not needed by citizens because they won't stop an F-22.

Apparently, ole smudge pants forgets his teachers saying:

Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.

Worked pretty well in Vietnam.  Doubt that any of the Ukranian fighters would turn in their AK's because of Joe's  bedazzling claim.

He's right about that. An AR is fairly useless against an F-22.

But that opens up the argument to say that what we need is civilian ownership of MANPADS and old German 88s with flak canisters. Maybe then he would stop insinuating threats of F-22 attacks against American civilians.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

He's right about that. An AR is fairly useless against an F-22.

But that opens up the argument to say that what we need is civilian ownership of MANPADS and old German 88s with flak canisters. Maybe then he would stop insinuating threats of F-22 attacks against American civilians.

There is a growing community doing a lot of really neat work in the area of 3-D printing of man portable rocket launchers and anti-aircraft devices.

it’s really awesome stuff.

• Like 2
On 8/21/2022 at 10:37 PM, RunaTuna said:

I doubt Manchin is willing to commit political suicide over this. 

A month or so ago I would tend to agree with you, now I’m not so sure.

He helped pass the latest green new deal spending package, and proved he can be bought.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:52 AM, m16ty said:

A month or so ago I would tend to agree with you, now I’m not so sure.

He helped pass the latest green new deal spending package, and proved he can be bought.

He only agreed to that because they threw in a bunch of concessions for West Virginian coal miners, which ticked off the progressives. I don't think there's any way they can do the same for guns.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:36 PM, RunaTuna said:

He only agreed to that because they threw in a bunch of concessions for West Virginian coal miners, which ticked off the progressives. I don't think there's any way they can do the same for guns.

If they really want to get something passed, they will grease his palm again.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:36 PM, RunaTuna said:

Really? You don't think they'd offer up new border funding or renewed oil drilling to get actual hard hitting gun legislation passed? They'd do it in a heart beat knowing they can kill the funding and revoke the permits before any real work is done. And the GOP would walk right into it like they always do. I used to think it was because the GOP was hapless when it came to political maneuvering, but it happens way too often to not be intentional.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2