2022 Season College Football Thread!

31 minutes ago, toby1304 said:

That鈥檚 what all my Vol fan buddies were saying after the Georgia game.

Neyland would have made a fine neutral stadium for that game.

It actually got louder at Sanford (126 db) than Neyland when we beat Alabama (125 db). 聽That damn noise is unnerving, lol.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Georgia

Michigan

TCU

USC

I think this makes the most sense to me. USC looked dominant against Notre Dame. They look like the 3rd best team to me.

Alabama won the iron bowl against Auburn, but all that game did was highlight how (relatively) weak Alabama's defense seems this year. And I still believe offense sells tickets but defense wins games. 'Bama needed a more dominant performance to have a chance @ sneaking into the CFP . USC looked like the winner (comparing the two against each other.)

Edited by Frog4aday
CFP...not cfb
  • Like 1
On 11/27/2022 at 10:00 AM, KahrMan said:

You never know what the committee considers important when they are making their rankings.聽

Oh, it is know what they consider important...TV ratings and how well fan bases travel.聽 It helps to understand when you view this as a production first, and a meritocracy second.聽 The week to week ratings they release are just to gin up content, and interest.聽 Putting in 2x SEC teams is usually a high bar, and one they'll use spur ratings in the regular season.聽 This year has been fantastic for such.

Bama and Tennessee taking 2 losses made a TSU or USC bid likely.聽 If Bama had won out after the Tennessee loss and won the SEC Championship, both they and Georgia would be in.聽 With the SEC teams really eating their own this year, the Big XII and PAC-12 have a good chance to each get a team in.聽 Clemson's current abilities finally out-stinking their past glory facilitates this as well.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Frog4aday said:

And I still believe offense sells tickets but defense wins games.

Not so much this year, Georgia excepted. It seems that there's an awful lot of offensive firepower out there winning games for teams with poor defenses. USC's defense has been spotty, UT's, and my favorite WA Huskies have hardly any defense at all, but do have the ability to score most any time they get the ball.聽

Personally, I prefer a defensive contest. I'd rather see a 10-7 or 21-17 game than seeing 100 points on the scoreboard. But I realize that I'm a dinosaur in that respect.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:38 PM, No_0ne said:

I think his post was a bit tongue-in-cheek, as the Tennessee fans seemed to outnumber the Vandy crowd on their home field ...

My wife (UT undergraduate and vandy masters grad) and daughter (UT junior) went to the game kind of last minute.聽 In fact they missed the first UT TD.聽 Wife is more a Vandy than UT fan but they both wore Orange. Go Vols.

• Like 1

I think this year may put a damper on the drive to form these super power conferences. The trick to making the playoffs seems to be to go undefeated against an assortment of high school and Jr College teams so that everyone is healthy and rested come playoff time.聽

23 hours ago, peejman said:

I think this year may put a damper on the drive to form these super power conferences. The trick to making the playoffs seems to be to go undefeated against an assortment of high school and Jr College teams so that everyone is healthy and rested come playoff time.聽

It won't matter if the super power conferences only play each other and set up their own playoffs like the AFC and NFC, then meet in what will become a kind of College Super Bowl.聽 That's the ultimate threat from the SEC and Big10 breaking away from the current structure.聽 They're looking to froth up leverage and revenue in TV deals and what not, so that when they want to go independent, the NCAA and CFP aren't a planning factor in their operations.

The NCAA is already a paper tiger when it comes to college football.聽 The best analogy I heard a while back is the five power conferences are like the old mafia families of New York city.聽 They each run their own shows, feud from time to time, but have the NCAA act like The Commission of old to regulate things.聽 They run The Commission, not the other way around.聽 The SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey has way more wasta than Mark Emmert the NCAA President.

4 hours ago, btq96r said:

It won't matter if the super power conferences only play each other and set up their own playoffs like the AFC and NFC, then meet in what will become a kind of College Super Bowl.聽 That's the ultimate threat from the SEC and Big10 breaking away from the current structure.聽 They're looking to froth up leverage and revenue in TV deals and what not, so that when they want to go independent, the NCAA and CFP aren't a planning factor in their operations.

The NCAA is already a paper tiger when it comes to college football.聽 The best analogy I heard a while back is the five power conferences are like the old mafia families of New York city.聽 They each run their own shows, feud from time to time, but have the NCAA act like The Commission of old to regulate things.聽 They run The Commission, not the other way around.聽 The SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey has way more wasta than Mark Emmert the NCAA President.

The battle of 5 points like in Gangs of New York?聽聽

They're finally expanding to 12 teams.聽

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2022/12/01/college-football-playoff-expanding-12-teams-2024-season/10810063002/

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

How are you getting the video to imbed? It doesn't do it automatically for me anymore.聽

I post the link and wait for it to process. After a couple seconds it embeds. Of course I only view the board through iOS.聽

On 12/1/2022 at 5:10 PM, peejman said:

The battle of 5 points like in Gangs of New York?聽聽

They're finally expanding to 12 teams.聽

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2022/12/01/college-football-playoff-expanding-12-teams-2024-season/10810063002/

I'm more of a 1920s through the Gotti years gangsterphile.

Yeah I saw they bumped this expanded playoff up.聽 It'll mean more consequential games for less relevant teams.聽 The SEC and to a lesser extent Big10 will still dominate it to the tune of about half the field between the two. They'll still be well positioned to breakaway if they see it as the right move.聽

Expanding the field was done for more money, but also to try and keep them in the fold I think. 聽 Doesn't strike me as a coincidence the CFP had such a push to get the start date moved to the left so the games played under of the expansion of the top two conferences counted for it.