Need ideas for an AR build...what's your style?

mamcdonald

I don't particularly feel strongly one way or another about AR-style rifles. I've built, and shortly thereafter sold, a few over the years because they just don't do anything special for me. Brownell's currently has the KE Arms polymer lowers on sale, and since they are potentially being sued into oblivion by a hostile entity, my terrible friend Jim Beam convinced me the other night that I needed one before they're gone. Now I have a lower on the way with no idea of what to turn it in to. I have a 5.56 AK so the obvious choice would be a 5.56 AR, but that's what I always get bored of relatively quickly. My other issue is that other than maybe once or twice a year on a buddy's land, all of my shooting tends to be at an indoor range. I know a relatively short rifle can be accurate/effective out to a few hundred yards but if I'm mostly just putting holes in a paper target 25yds away max I don't see the need for a 22" Precision Sniper Weapons System. My current plan is a .300BLK SBR, but because I don't want the ATF to kill my dog I'm not going to order that upper until the Form 1 is approved so I have 1-5 months to be convinced to do something else. Given a blank canvas other than Fixed Stock Lower, what would you build?

Well, I have built 5.56, 300BO and 6.5 Grendel. I only have the 300BO and 6.5 still. I really like the 300BO. If I was going to go full Form1 SBR, I would go 300BO for the ability to shoot subsonic ammo. Sub-sonic 5.56 is basically 22LR. 

• Like 1

If you are going to pony up for a suppressor or you already have a suppressor that can handle 300BO that is my suggestion.  If you are only going to shoot supersonics I wouldn't bother with 300BO.  

If you are primarily shooting indoors at 25y I would honestly just stick with 5.56, not worth the ammo cost to punch a different size hole in the paper. 

It depends on the intended use. I tend to run 18" or 9.5" ARs. All suppressed. My home protection gun is a 9.25 inch 300 blackout SBR. I've killed enough deer and hogs to know what it's capable of. If I'm not shooting inside a structure, I run an 18" every time. The majority of my triggers are triggertech. 

I prefer a full size M16 Vietnam era 5.56.  That’s where they all evolved from.  As a defensive weapon inside a structure, I personally would not use a rifle caliper as I might not know who is on the other side of that wall.  It has happened more than once. 

38 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

I prefer a full size M16 Vietnam era 5.56.  That’s where they all evolved from.  As a defensive weapon inside a structure, I personally would not use a rifle caliper as I might not know who is on the other side of that wall.  It has happened more than once. 

a 20" rifle length upper would look awesome on that lower.