Motel 6 in Memphis Raided by Gunman, 1 killed

Moped

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I think many are waiting for you to explain it.

Im not the one using it lol.

In other news... everytime I start to think I'm shadow banned some innocuous comment gets lots of engagement.

Edited by Daniel

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

woke

adjective

\ ˈwōk  \
woker; wokest

Definition of woke

chiefly US slang
: aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)But we will only succeed if we reject the growing pressure to retreat into cynicism and hopelessness. … We have a moral obligation to "stay woke," take a stand and be active; challenging injustices and racism in our communities and fighting hatred and discrimination wherever it rises.— Barbara Lee… argued that … Brad Pitt is not only woke, but the wokest man in Hollywood … because he uses his status—and his production company Plan B—to create space for artists of color, with such films as 12 Years a Slave, Selma, and the upcoming film Moonlight.— Giselle Defares

Edited by Daniel
On 8/11/2022 at 9:13 AM, Chucktshoes said:

The New Englanders move to East TN and the Californians move to Nashville. Both groups leave Memphis and the surrounding areas alone for the most part.

As far as I can tell, many new residents to Memphis come from places like Chicago and Detroit. For many of them there wasn't much choice as they left those places in a hurry.  Its a known fact that among certain groups in various northern cities that visitation is available in Memphis when somebody needs to lay low for a while. Some groups swap members on a regular basis. 🙄

Oh well, except for a few years visiting with Uncle Sam, I've spent pretty much my entire 68 years in and around Shelby County. Sad to see what this place has become. But, I'm gettin'  too old to move away, my house is paid for and I guess I'll die here. I'll just keep my head down and try to make the best of it. 🙄

31 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Who gets to set the morality compass?

I do.  And you do.  And Daniel does.  Core morals, I believe, tend to be societal.  However moral values that extend past those cores or even some interpretation thereof is up to each individual.   

Generally with the younger or “woke” folks, we are talking more about values that fall on the fringes, items that effect smaller and smaller groups of people.  I’m happy there are people trying to care for something. 
But you cannot force your morality onto someone else.   You can’t force beliefs onto someone else.  Changing someone takes two way communication, empathy, reasoned debate and understanding.   And most of the time today, neither side of any discussion is willing to give the other a fair shake.   Arguments are made with emotion and shaming and that’s why instead of making progress, society is regressing and heading towards a downfall.

• Like 9
29 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The problem with these woke folks is that they're constantly out there looking for new problems to whine and cry about. They're like a bunch of kids running around with a stick in hand looking for a new bear to poke. 

Victimhood is apparently much more appealing than it used to be.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I do.  And you do.  And Daniel does.  Core morals, I believe, tend to be societal.  However moral values that extend past those cores or even some interpretation thereof is up to each individual.   

Generally with the younger or “woke” folks, we are talking more about values that fall on the fringes, items that effect smaller and smaller groups of people.  I’m happy there are people trying to care for something. 
But you cannot force your morality onto someone else.   You can’t force beliefs onto someone else.  Changing someone takes two way communication, empathy, reasoned debate and understanding.   And most of the time today, neither side of any discussion is willing to give the other a fair shake.   Arguments are made with emotion and shaming and that’s why instead of making progress, society is regressing and heading towards a downfall.

The problem with woke type people is they are often not debating morals or values.  They are debating truths.  "A man should be able to marry a man" is a completely different animal from "A man can have babies."

7 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The problem with these woke folks is that they're constantly out there looking for new problems to whine and cry about. They're like a bunch of kids running around with a stick in hand looking for a new bear to poke. 

I believe you genuinely feel this way, but it’s only your truth. Therefore this isn’t a personal attack on you.  It’s easy to dismiss something, someone or idea’s if you don’t completely and fully understand them or if your lifestyle has not and never will fall in line with the subject you don’t care for.

I think the term woke is overused. I say it just to make heads explode. For me woke falls into the category of the so-called golden rule we were taught as kids. It’s that simple, yet people resist. 

Very few communities are more childlike than the gun community. We’ll shyt on just about everything and everyone, but when it comes to our guns, it’s time for civil war. It’s amazing to watch. 

In general I pay attention to the people who have no empathy. They’re usually the assholes in any group. Even people I disagree with on certain issues, I can usually put myself in their place, understand their reasoning and still disagree based upon my experiences as long as the other person’s desires cause no intentional harm. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I believe you genuinely feel this way, but it’s only your truth. Therefore this isn’t a personal attack on you.  It’s easy to dismiss something, someone or idea’s if you don’t completely and fully understand them or if your lifestyle has not and never will fall in line with the subject you don’t care for.

I think the term woke is overused. I say it just to make heads explode. For me woke falls into the category of the so-called golden rule we were taught as kids. It’s that simple, yet people resist. 

Very few communities are more childlike than the gun community. We’ll shyt on just about everything and everyone, but when it comes to our guns, it’s time for civil war. It’s amazing to watch. 

In general I pay attention to the people who have no empathy. They’re usually the assholes in any group. Even people I disagree with on certain issues, I can usually put myself in their place, understand their reasoning and still disagree based upon my experiences as long as the other person’s desires cause no intentional harm. 

the sopranos hbo GIF

• Haha 3
On 8/12/2022 at 10:25 PM, Daniel said:

social justice

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/social justice

: a state or doctrine of egalitarianism

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/egalitarianism

1: a belief in human equality especially with respect to social, political, and economic affairs

2: a social philosophy advocating the removal of inequalities among people

• Haha 1