Questions on first pistol build

KevyKev

Hello all, first post here so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong forum. Recently I've decided to do my first build and wanted an AR pistol. I found a good deal on an upper from Diamondback and received it last week. This week I ordered a stripped lower and having it shipped to local FFL. I'll be completing this over the next few months as its easier to sneak parts in here and there without the boss lady becoming suspicious of all the packages lol. Anyway so what exactly do I need to know on having this registered? Is there a certain way the dealer needs to do the paperwork on it as far as classification?

Next question is on buffer and brace. Can I use a standard buffer or does it have to be a pistol specific buffer? I know I can't use a standard stock on it so any recommendations on a good brace would be appreciated. I've got some drop in triggers on the radar as well as charging handle, safety selector and all that. Just gotta decide on what I'm going with on those. Any help you guys can give me as make this venture would be awesome and I would be forever grateful. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

correct transfer it in as a firearm.  There is a thread somewhere in here about pistol to rifle or rifle to pistol.  The old saying used to be once a rifle always a rifle.

As for buffers you can use a standard carbine buffer tube unless you are looking at some of the specialized collapsible braces that use a proprietary buffer system.  Braces the SBA3 and SBA4 are probably the most commonly used, I've run a bunch of the SBA3s and have never felt the need to change.

Some other component suggestions

Triggers - Larue is your best bang for the buck.  under $100 gets you a fantastic trigger, you can spend 2x and get a Geissele but from what I have shot you aren't going to get 2x the performance.  Under that there are plenty of polished mil-spec triggers out there, I think the ALG ACT is a pretty common choice but the price is close enough to the Larue that I would just start there

Charging Handle - Radian Raptor series all day, pick if you want the polymer tabs or aluminum and go from there.  Aero Breach series is nice too just have more experience with the Radian.

Safety Selector - Radian Talon ambi setup is a solid option

Bolt Catch - the Geissele maritime bolt catch is a solid upgrade for ~$25  They make a matching mag release as well if you want to get real matchy on your build.