Questions on Building a SBR on the AR platform

I am thinking about building a SBR and I have some questions

If you build and register an SBR on the AR platform, is it only the serialized lower that is what is registered. I am wondering how much you can modify a SBR once it is registered. Can you put a new barrel or change things in the upper without having to notify the ATF, or does it have to stay as-built?  

The answer will determine the build.  If I can reconfigure the upper, then I can build a less expensive SBR on a really nice lower and then upgraded the upper parts. 

if you can’t make any changes, then I will need to move more slowly and collect better  parts to start. 

You can change it all you want as long as you can put it back to its original configuration. If you decide you hate the original configuration, you can permanently change it and put in a change letter to the ATF. The lower cannot be changed out.

Edited by Alleycat72

well I guess what I was asking is if I started with a nice lower (Aero, Giessele, etc) but used a no-name Mil-spec upper, 10.5" barrel, and generic free floating hand guard.  Once the rifle is registered, could I swap in a better 10.5" barrel, or a billlet upper, etc. and not have to put in a change letter.  As long as the lower stays the same, and the caliber/barrel length remain the same as originally registgered, can I replace components with other components.

6 hours ago, Snaveba said:

well I guess what I was asking is if I started with a nice lower (Aero, Giessele, etc) but used a no-name Mil-spec upper, 10.5" barrel, and generic free floating hand guard.  Once the rifle is registered, could I swap in a better 10.5" barrel, or a billlet upper, etc. and not have to put in a change letter.  As long as the lower stays the same, and the caliber/barrel length remain the same as originally registgered, can I replace components with other components.

Yes

I have a slightly different way of looking at this and below are the actions I took.  Please excuse the length.

I have more than one lower registered as an SBR and have had them for a while now.  Each one was registered at a specific barrel length and overall length than the others and one with a different caliber (5.56 and 300 being those used).  Recently, I sent a letter to the ATF for each designation titled “Additional Upper Receiver and Caliber Configurations for a Registered SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE” that specified all the additional calibers, barrel lengths & overall lengths that lower may be configured as.  I requested a return letter for my request from the ATF approving or denying it.

I originally received approval on the lowers a while ago and just got around to doing this.  I have been meaning to do this for a while now but with the current geo/political state continuing to be what it is, I figured sooner was better than later.

Why I did this:  There is all kinds of information on the internet saying you do or you don’t but many legal professionals I referenced suggest you do this and then there is the statement below is on the form itself (see below) that could be used as a basis to mess with someone.  Now, I am not actually too worried about an agent showing up at my home, or the range but I am concerned that an overzealous law enforcement officer or District Attorney might ignore our rights &/or the actual law (WHAT?!, no way) and it was an easy CYA at the end of the day.  There is also the reason I registered them all in the first place instead of waiting for a more convenient time, they can always change the rules, the cost and other restrictions of these things and now I am at least one file with them and their optional configurations.

Also, you are already on file with them when you submit to make an SBR or purchase a suppressor, so it isn’t like you have anything to lose by having more paper to cover your bottom with.

I do suggest you file for the SBR.  It is not very difficult to do and $200 is nothing compared to what they could make it.  Not to mention that now you will have one.  They were also approved in a short amount of time when i efiled.

Just my take.  Do whatever works for you.  I’m not a lawyer or a government agent.  Heck, I don’t even play one on TV.

> From Form 1 (Application to Make and Register a Firearm under Important Information for Currently Registered Firearm

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

Edited by DHF

Some more food for thought. Since I live in Memphis, I am close to ranges in both Missippi and Arkansas where I can go to shoot longer ranges outdoors. I have a Daniel Defense PDW AR Pistol and was considering doing a form 1 and going SBR with a stock instead of a brace. I did have a friend tell me that I would have to have permission from the ATF to travel to any other state with a SBR, so for that reason I'm still rockin the brace....

10 hours ago, Cevans said:

Some more food for thought. Since I live in Memphis, I am close to ranges in both Missippi and Arkansas where I can go to shoot longer ranges outdoors. I have a Daniel Defense PDW AR Pistol and was considering doing a form 1 and going SBR with a stock instead of a brace. I did have a friend tell me that I would have to have permission from the ATF to travel to any other state with a SBR, so for that reason I'm still rockin the brace....

You can fill out the form for temporary move.  The form can be set up for 1 year at a time. Just send them in every year. Most people don't do it though. I haven't found one case where someone with a form 1 got into any trouble for not having it. You are supposed to fill it out if you move from one house to another across town for all NFA. Guess what.....most people don't do this either. I actually do in that case. 

Most new NFA people have the fear that every time they take out an ATF regulated gun, people are going to come out of the woodwork and demand you paperwork. In 25 years of NFA not once have I had it happen. Just keep a copy of your forms in every vehicle you own and you'll be good.