HELP ME UNDERSTAND.....PLEASE

Ok, I get that times change and technology continues to improve. What the heck is up with the pistol red dots? It looks to be relevant for competition shooting. For personal defense? Some of the buddy's I talk to have them. I don't want to be the new guy or dumbazz to say wtf? I don't see the usefulness of them on a defense gun. I'm sure there is some and that's what I am asking for. Surely people don't use them to just ninja up there guns right?

• Like 1

If you need reading glasses, it can be very hard (if not impossible) to see the sights on a pistol without them.  While 'Point and shoot' will get you a long way, accuracy at any significant distance requires dot sights (or a scope).  I have dot sights on a couple of carry pistols (including my primary), a 10/22 pistol, and a PC Carbine.

• Like 3

I have used a red dot on my M4 while in the sandbox. Its more of a "reflex" style sight. Not needing much time to get your sight picture stable. With a pistol in a defense style situation, within 15-20 feet most people, as I would also, just point and shoot! Maybe I am over thinking it. In Iraq, generally you were within a  few hundred meters or even less but almost never within 100 meters. The red dot helps you find a target quicker. Perhaps I will find a range that rents guns in or around Knox and just go shoot for a bit with one on a pistol. Maybe I am thinking about it the wrong way.

25 minutes ago, JohnSutton1980 said:

I have used a red dot on my M4 while in the sandbox. Its more of a "reflex" style sight. Not needing much time to get your sight picture stable. With a pistol in a defense style situation, within 15-20 feet most people, as I would also, just point and shoot! Maybe I am over thinking it. In Iraq, generally you were within a  few hundred meters or even less but almost never within 100 meters. The red dot helps you find a target quicker. Perhaps I will find a range that rents guns in or around Knox and just go shoot for a bit with one on a pistol. Maybe I am thinking about it the wrong way.

This is what I did. Picked up one for my 22/45 and spent some time at the range. That sold me on them.  Much quicker and easier to pick up a single dot. You do have to learn how to “find” the dot, but once you have that down you’re good to go. 

Something else I found easier was leaving both eyes open for aiming. Have always had a hard time using irons that way, but a red dot made all the difference. 

• Like 2

Yeah I think that's what I will do. The first time I seen it, I was like....wtf! but I have been thinking on it all morning. I guess I will just have to find out. I maybe on here in a few with a new red dot on my M&P45c singing its praises! I thank you all for your help and opinions.

• Like 1

I have one on a Buckmark and frankly, when bringing the pistol up to eye level, I have a devil of a time trying to find the dot. Is there some trick to this I'm missing? 

I'll also mention that I'm a big fan of the KISS principle and ain't much for adding extra do-hickies to my carry guns. 🙄

• Like 1

Ive got one on a Hellcat RDP and I much prefer it to 3 dot style irons. I have an easier time keeping both eyes open. As far as finding the dot, turn the brightness up. Its not like irons where you need to focus on the front sight and blur the target. Look through the glass, dot over target and start squeezing. Thats what works for me anyways. 

images.jpeg-5.jpg

• Like 1

I really want to get into the red dot game but can't decide what platform to go with. I bought a Hellcat with plans to add one, but changed my mind. Trying to decide if it's smarter to send a Glock slide off to be milled or just buy a different Glock. 

Or something else entirely. 

I have a Ruger MAx 9 with a CT RDS, in layaway at Harvey's.  It's going to be my first on a pistol.

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I really want to get into the red dot game but can't decide what platform to go with. I bought a Hellcat with plans to add one, but changed my mind. Trying to decide if it's smarter to send a Glock slide off to be milled or just buy a different Glock. 

Could you get a Dagger slide already cut from PSA and use that?  They seem to be a cheaper option.

3 hours ago, Moped said:

I have a Ruger MAx 9 with a CT RDS, in layaway at Harvey's.  It's going to be my first on a pistol.

Could you get a Dagger slide already cut from PSA and use that?  They seem to be a cheaper option.

I'm not sure but I'll look into it. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Since you have a Glock, buy an Agency Arms Syndicate slide with the AOS optic mounting system so that you aren't married to a single optic or style of optic.

It's like the Glock MOS system, but... reliable.

• Like 1

I have several of the bigger reflect red dots on target pistols but decided to try a Leupold Deltapoint Micro on my Glock 19 and really like it. Very small, co-witness with the front site so works well even when not turned on. Not much larger than the rear site it replaces so no special slide. Works with my existing holsters. Wish they made it for my Sig. 

On 8/17/2022 at 11:20 AM, Grayfox54 said:

I have one on a Buckmark and frankly, when bringing the pistol up to eye level, I have a devil of a time trying to find the dot. Is there some trick to this I'm missing? 

I'll also mention that I'm a big fan of the KISS principle and ain't much for adding extra do-hickies to my carry guns. 🙄

I really like the Holosun models (507 & 509) with the large circles (250(?)  MOA). They make it easy to find the dot when the alignment is initially off.  But since you already have a red dot, that probably doesn't help.

The only thing that helped me was lots of practice.  Started with an RMR and initially "cheated" a little by looking at the front sight.  After a bunch of repetitions the red dot popped up on the draw.

11 hours ago, mike_f said:

I really like the Holosun models (507 & 509) with the large circles (250(?)  MOA). They make it easy to find the dot when the alignment is initially off.  But since you already have a red dot, that probably doesn't help.

The only thing that helped me was lots of practice.  Started with an RMR and initially "cheated" a little by looking at the front sight.  After a bunch of repetitions the red dot popped up on the draw.

the K models from Holosun typically have the circle dot, the 509 and the 508T (I think) being the exception as they only offer circle/dot I think.

Agree with repetition you can get the dot to be visible on the initial presentation without any fuss.  The front sight trick works as well.  I have found that focusing on the target and not thinking about the dot tends to get the dot in the right spot fairly easily.

I do not use a red dot on my carry gun.  I tried it and finding the dot took me longer to get the first shots off than the standard sights.  I will say that I am more accurate with the RedDot and can empty the magazine faster and accurately.  But those first 1-2 shots are slower for me while I play hide-n-seek with the little RedDot.

I decided that the RedDot was not for me at this time.  I will reevaluate in the future maybe.

PROS: (for me)

1) Faster for multiple shots

2) tighter groups when shooting faster

CONS: (for me)

1) expensive (for the good ones). I do not want to add $300-$500 to the cost of every pistol I own.

2) Slower for the first shot while searching for the RedDot.  This applies to aimed shots only as you can point-n-shoot with either system.

3) carry gun is now slightly less compact

4) concerns about the state of the optic at any given moment? do you have to turn it on?  or off? is the battery still good?

5) training consistency.  I do not want to train to expect to use one and then not have one on the gun that I have at the moment.  Unless you buy the same one for all your carry guns.

• Like 1

Others have said "turn the brightness up" and that will help with finding the dot faster for sure, but at the expense (for my eyes) of precision.  The larger and brighter the dot is the more it obscures your target and precision suffers.

2 minutes ago, willki said:

Others have said "turn the brightness up" and that will help with finding the dot faster for sure, but at the expense (for my eyes) of precision.  The larger and brighter the dot is the more it obscures your target and precision suffers.

Yeah that is they way I was thinking about the red dot on a pistol. I would have to think about when shooting. Sure at the range it would be helpful. Just not sure with a carry gun, one would do something other than point and shoot if I were ever I. That situation I’m sure that’s what I would do. Going to range this weekend and testing one of there pistols with the red dot to see for myself. Definitely don’t want to have to relearn how to shoot!