Hammer vs. Striker

JazzyVol

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I prefer the look, feel and shooting of hammer fired pistols.  But new hammer guns are rare and the world is moving to striker and polymer pistols for several reasons.  I enjoy shooting and buying new guns too much to stay with hammer only weapons.  My favorite configuration of a da/sa, de-cocking, metal frame pistol feels like it is slowly becoming extinct.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

As a LEO Firearms Instructor and someone who carries EDC every day, I prefer hammer fire guns since I carry appendix. It's an added safety mechanism for when I holster my firearm, my thumb covers the hammer and if anything binds or impinges on the gun during the process, the hammer would alert me. If I am not carrying appendix/IWB, I carry what fits my hand and is most comfortable to shoot, in this case still a hammer fire CZ.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, Moped said:

I have both in my rotation and I don't notice the difference.  I also have revolvers and semi-autos in my rotation.

Well, the rotation changed since I got my Max 9.  It's down to two pistols now, the Max 9 and the LCP Max, but with those two, I still have a hammer and a striker in the rotation.  Honestly with these two pistols, the trigger feels about the same.

This may cause trouble but I won't carry my strikers with one in the pipe.  I just add racking the slide to my training at the range.  I will however carry one in the pipe with my Berretta with the decocker I have never felt safer carrying one in the chamber.  You are all cussing me right now but just a few month ago in Smyrna a 5 year old took a gun out of his fathers backpack at Lee Victory park on Sam Ridley.  The first thing a young kid does when he picks up a gun is puts his thumb through the trigger guard and grips the handgun both of which release a beaver tail safety and the scissor trigger safety and also leaves the barrel pointed right at his head.  Unless he knows to trip the decocker on say my Berretta the trigger is useless.  Not to say all hammers are safer but that decocker on my 92FS has made me so comfortable carrying with one in the chamber I just love it.  And yes my kids are very educated in firearm safety but it is a story you hear on the news around here every few months so obviously some aren't training their kids as for me I will carry the safest gun I know of.  All of my best shooting guns are striker and I do carry just not one in the pipe.

Mills, the pistol should have been on the person, and not in a bag. Just like you don't leave them in your car when not there. Simple guys! Don't want your roscoe handled by someone else, or stolen, keep it on you.  So many guns are stolen out of cars, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gov will start charging people, in the future, for leaving them unattended and vulnerable to be stolen. 

I have both, but preferer hammer. 

• Like 2

I agree on that.  I don’t ever leave my pistol loaded and  in an unattended situation when there are other people around.  I’m not saying I don’t ever leave a loaded pistol unattended, just not in a situation where it may be picked up by someone else, especially a child. 

• Like 1

CAP or Child Access Protection makes it a crime to allow a child to get ahold of your firearm.

Those laws exist is most states because some parent did not do their job.  The type of firearm you own is inconsequential.

^as always, jmo

• 2 weeks later...

Hammer fired guns tend to have one advantage - they will usually light harder primers than striker fired guns. 

This is pretty much a non-issue if you only ever buy factory ammo, but if you reload, you're aware of the primer shortage.   I've known folks to use small rifle primers when they couldn't get hold of small pistol, and you really need a hammer fired gun to reliably ignite those.

I’m probably one of the few attempting to make a double action trigger pull out of striker fired action.   
so no issues lighting off hard primers when the striker spring weight is upped.  No double strike option either but the only hammer fired I needed that capability on was a Taurus because didn’t get a “good” one 

Edited by ohell

I like hammers best, preferably the ones with decockers. My longest EDC love affair was with a CZ P-01.

I do own 2 striker fired guns though and both are awesome. I got both for their size not because they were strikers though: XD-S 3.3 (45acp) and P365 (nearly perfect EDC gun, IMO).