Gout and High Uric Acid

tercel89

Well I haven't reached 50 just yet and I have had 2 attacks of Gout. Every year at my job we have to get our blood drawn for our insurance incentives and they will come back and tell you whats high and whats low. For the last 7 or 8 years my results were always normal except for my uric acid. It was always high and the doctor would always ask me if I ever had Gout. I said no. Well earlier this year I started getting foot pain. After 3 days I could not walk on one foot. It was swollen to the point I could not put on my shoe. It also had fever in that foot. I could put my hand on it and feel the heat. I went to the doctor and she said right away it was Gout. She gave me steroids and told me about drinking more water and to stay away from beer and alcohol. Beer was the main thing for me. I have been a huge beer drinker especially on my days off work. I couldn't just have one , it would be a whole 12 pack at one sitting. I quit beer and alcohol cold turkey right then and there. That is how bad the pain was. That was in April. Here it is in August and I had another Gout attack. I haven't drank a bit of alcohol and I have cut down my sweets and cut down my red meat intake. There was a few times last week when working outside that I got so hot and probably didn't drink enough water. This may have dehydrated my body and raised my uric acid. I am trying to stay hydrated by drinking water even when I am not thirsty and I have also quit drinking sugary drinks like Cokes. The sugary drinks also causes Gout. By quiting the beer and sugary drinks , I have lost 25 pounds. But I swear I can't seem to think what has made me have this last attack. Can any of you guys share your experiences and information on Gout ? I have gotten to where I am scared to eat normal food for fear that I'll have another attack. Having to call in sick at work is embarresing but I can't walk when I have these attacks.  I hate to quit eating red meat and other meats. I am eating cherries and drinking pure cherry juice to lower my acid. I would sure appreciate any information and experiences you guys have in this matter. Thanks in advance. 

I started doing apple cider vinegar pills a couple of years ago. 2 a day and havn’t had an attack in almost a year, and the one I had before that was a mild one just caused me to limp for a couple of days. I do drink water regularly though. 

• Like 1

I'm sure you've been given a list of foods to avoid with moderate to high levels of Purine but thats where I'd aim if I was still having issues. There's quite a list of foods to avoid or at the very least limit in great portions or together. These foods increase uric acid levels and the purine in them slows the rate of your body evacuating the uric acid. 

Best of luck with it. Sounds like you've already overcame more than a lot of ppl I know when trying to manage it. 

• Like 1

BIL had a couple bad attacks of gout,Dr put him on the most common RX and he never had it again even with the beer and scotch. after a few years he asked him to take him off it and doc said have you had any gout attack? No so we leave you on it. After 10 years or so the new doc took him off it to try it and it never returned.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Darrell said:

Go back to your physician. The guys here seem to know a lot about firearms related stuff, but I wouldn't go to us for medical advice.

LOL. Just seeing if there were some members here with useful experiences. 

5 hours ago, gary_boom said:

Had one attack years ago.Dr put me on allopurinal. No problem for several years kept drinking beer. Started having pain but no inflammation.Went to Dr he took X-ray said I had severe arthritis in my big toe. For me allopurinal works great.

Does the Alpurinol medicine give you any side-effects ? I have read about how it gives some people rashes and other things.

3 hours ago, Will said:

BIL had a couple bad attacks of gout,Dr put him on the most common RX and he never had it again even with the beer and scotch. after a few years he asked him to take him off it and doc said have you had any gout attack? No so we leave you on it. After 10 years or so the new doc took him off it to try it and it never returned.

So he stayed on the medicine and still drank with no attacks ?  I am done with alcohol anyways , cause it was making me too fat and almost dependant on it , but if that medicine protected him that good , that it's pretty awesome. 

He was able to stay off the RX and still maintained his two hollow legs for many years until Diabetes slowed him down. We lost him last year to a sudden illness.  As he would tell everybody the Demon Rum cut his life somewhat short.

1 hour ago, jones45 said:

I take tart cherry capsules twice a day. Pinto beans is what I have to limit or a case of gout will be in the future. The tart cherry does very well keeping symptoms at bay

Man , that stuff is expensive and sour ! I am adding water to mine . I fill a glass half with water and half with cherry juice. 

10 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Man , that stuff is expensive and sour ! I am adding water to mine . I fill a glass half with water and half with cherry juice. 

No taste to the capsules. This is what I use   Amazon.com: Tart Cherry Capsules | 200 Pills | Max Potency | Non-GMO, Gluten Free | Tart Cherry Juice Extract | by Carlyle : Health & Household       Availabe in a lower dose also

• Like 3

Uric acid can also form kidney stones. I have had the pleasure of both kidney stones and gout. I try to watch what I eat. Don't drink much, but I love shellfish and liver. I will usually have a bout of gout soon after we return from vacation on the gulf coast.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Gnarlytoes said:

Uric acid can also form kidney stones. I have had the pleasure of both kidney stones and gout. I try to watch what I eat. Don't drink much, but I love shellfish and liver. I will usually have a bout of gout soon after we return from vacation on the gulf coast.

That is the main reason I go to the Gulf , TO EAT !!!!! I love seafood and yes , I like liver of all kinds too.  Dang I am sure hating this mess. It's been 6 days and I can walk but my feet are still sore. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not on this forum much, so don't take my word for it. You can google this stuff. Read info on reliable medical sites only, then cross-check.

Allopurinol acts on the enzyme that is implicated in gout. There are now alternative Rxs, but Allopurinol is generic and inexpensive. Corticosteroids, NSAIDS and Colchicine only provide anti-inflammatory action. Research purines, guanine phosphoribosyl transferase and xanthine oxidase for more in-depth info.

Having been told that you actually have gout, you should take assertive measures; do more than eat cherries. Another poster mentioned kidney stones, which is also a concern.

Just as background: I sold branded pharmaceuticals which provided a good bit of education on researching medicine. I have had gout for about 25 years, I suffered through incorrect diagnosis and several medical problems from incorrect treatment because Uric Acid levels were borderline. I have taken Allopurinol for 12 years with neither gout attacks nor side effects and I still eat spinach, organ meat and other high purine foods (but I'm sensible.)

Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm 68 and I have gout attacks for years. The food I had to give was tuna fish, turkey, and green peas. If I was to eat to much turkey I would get a gout attack. I have been taking a prescripton drug  Allopurinol for years. It helps. I still eat red meat and pork. The cause of gout is foods that are high in purines. 

• Like 1

WHEN i was younger, I would get a flare up or two /year and I would just take endomethicin to manage thru the flare up.   Once I turned 50, I used to have gout so bad I was on crutches once per month.  It was all due to elevated Uric Acid.  My DR put me on ULORIC which caused it to flare up at first but then it just flat quit (miracle drug for me)  and my Uric acid levels came back down.   I was on it for a long time until I came Nashville.  Later my new Doctor told me that Uloric had some potential heart damage complications with extended use and I went onto Allopurinal as a preventative since my uric levels were normal.   been two years and I havnt had a flare up yet.  Good luck cause gout sucks.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...