Reloading 5.56

Ok, if you followed my AR thread you know that to get the best accuracy I'm gonna have to start reloading 5.56 ammo. I can get dies.  I have plenty of OF brass. I have SR primers in stock and I see that there's a pretty good supply of bullets out there now. The big question is powders? What are the best powders for this caliber and are they readily available?

I'll likely go with 55-62 gr bullets for the 1/9 twist M&P. But I also want to try some heavier 75-77 gr bullets for the slower 1/7 Colt. Any pet loads to share or recommendations? 

Same-CFE223-

Works great for all loads from 55gr-69gr

My PSA upper likes the heavier loads and that is a .223 WYLDE chamber in 1/7-

My S&W 1/8 poly rifled prefers the lighter 55gr loads-

I have so far tried 5 different loads from .55gr thru .69gr and found that it's pretty much trial and error with accuracy-

• 1 month later...

Service rifle shooters love Varget but hard to meter, and hard to find.    H335 was an original powder for the 5.56mm cartridge,  meters great,  but you have to watch temperature sensitivity for competitive shooting.    But for plinking its great.  I load a lot of my Service rifle practice rounds for 200-300 yard stages and use H335.....  FWIW

• Like 3

For my M&P 15 Sport II, I loaded up 5 rds each for CFE 223 & H335, Sierra 62 gr. SP BT. Starline new brass, CCI primers.

22 grs +- each. @ 25yds.

The H335 won out by a hair. Only very slight difference between the two . Final charge was 22.4 grs.

I went with the H335, but wouldn't hesitate to use either. Actually , if I run out of H335 I'll use the CFE.

Of course this is just my rifle. YMMV.

Good luck pard.

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 1

Accurate 2520 has served well with 55 gr. bullets in a bolt action with 1/12 twist.  Look for loads with powders you have on hand before you search (in vain?) for a new powder.  The old IMR standbys will turn up as well as the newer ball powders.  I used AA2520 because I had plenty of it on hand. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

H335 has been my go to for plinking loads. Meters like water and been easy to find the last couple years when some others haven't. Works great with my 55 and 62gr plinkers. I need to try it with some better bullets than the cheap Hornadys and see what itll really do.

8 minutes ago, Bad_Bowtie said:

H335 has been my go to for plinking loads. Meters like water and been easy to find the last couple years when some others haven't. Works great with my 55 and 62gr plinkers. I need to try it with some better bullets than the cheap Hornadys and see what itll really do.

I run it with 62 Lehigh controlled chaos and 62 tsx bullets. My 18" is a tack driver with them. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

AA2520 because it was developed for it. I used it for 55, 62, and 77 gr. bullets when I lived in Central Florida and was shooting Hi-Power Matches in the late 1980's and into the '90's. It works well, it's a ball powder so it meters well, and it's not particularly temperature sensitive.

WYT-P

Skyhunter