308 Bolt Action Options

FrankD

Alright think I have scoured all my options and am tentatively looking at a ruger american hunter in 308 to serve as my entry in bolt actions and longish (500-600) range shooting but wanted to see if there was anything else I wasn't considering.

Search Criteria

-308 Bolt Action (Don't think the price premium on 6.5CM would be worth it for my ranges)

-Threaded muzzle for suppressor usage

-Box magazines

-~$800ish

-Shortish overall length

Looked at the other options in the Ruger line as well as some savages but wondering if there was anything else out there?  I know the Bergara rifles are supposed to be great, but already above my budget and would have to get it threaded.

If the box mag isn't a deal breaker I can very, very highly recommend the older model Savage Hog Hunter. 

The newer version has a box mag, I believe, but the older model is far nicer handling & has a better feeling stock. 

Hands down the single most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned (I'm on my second) & both picked up for under $500

I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in ,308 (along with a couple of others in different calibers) that I really like. They aren't short-barreled, though, and a bit more expensive. It looks as if you've already checked out the Rugers, but if you were tempted by the RPR's it might be worth a second look.

I purchased a 308 Savage Axes gen 1 and it has been flawless. Purchased it and a 7MM 0 8 in the same configuration. Both had Weaver 3x9 scopes. Purchased both 4 years ago on a pre Covid black Friday special and got a great price on both.

I lent/gave the 308 to my grandson last year, so he could go deer hunting with it last fall. He shot a doe and loved the rifle. His dad said the scope was great at gathering light after sunset.

Savage came out with the Generation 2 Axis model and it is a much improved rifle as it has the famous savage trigger, and is guaranteed 1" accuracy at 100 yards. The price is higher. They improved them over the gen 1's.  I ended up getting both of my rifles for 185.00 new after a 150.00 rebate from Savage and another 125.00 reduction in price from Bass Pro.

I am a 308 fan. I gave it to my grandson because it would be easier to find ammo in 308 over the 7 MM 0 8 where he lives. Who knows he may get both, in a while, after I cross over the big pond. Been playing with the 7 MM and it has a wonderful trigger and is fairly light and accurate. I have come to like Savage and have always liked Ruger. Can't go wrong with either, IMO.  

• Like 1

I've had a couple of the Ruger rifles and don't like the bolts in them. Both guns I had was rough feeling and had problems with feeding and extracting ammo. One was a Go Wild Model in 6.5 Creedmoor. 

I've got a Savage Model 10 BSA which was a Dicks Exclusive Model with 20in Threaded Bull Barrel, Accu Trigger, Tactical Bolt and beaver tail stock. Picked it up for $200 off a buddy, best $200 I've spent. I've been using it as a hog gun so got a 3 moa red dot on top and with 150gr Winchester will about drive nails at 50 with a red dot. Every Savage I have owned has been great shooter's out the box.

Also if you can find them the Remington 783 Heavy Barrel is another great gun. I picked up one in 450 a few years ago and that thing will cloverleaf them at 100 with the Hornady Black 250gr. They made them in a few calibers and would be what you're looking for but hard to find nowadays. 

FrankD,

Do you reload, or will you be buying factory target ammo?  

I really like 308, and I certainly shoot it more than other rounds.  If you reload than you have a lot of flexibility. But if I didn't reload I'd be looking at other options too for 500-600 yards. Besides the 6.5 Creedmoor you mentioned, a good fast twist 223 bolt gun with good ammo is a great way to get started, and is a lot cheaper to feed too while you are learning wind.    Just a thought....   

Best regards,

Tim

Edited by stealthgoat
typo
  • Moderators

If you can stretch your budget a little bit, or pick one up used, I would strongly, strongly recommend taking a good hard look at the Bergara B-14 HMR.

I have one in 6.5CM. Other than price it ticks off all of your criteria and will also have one of the smoothest bolts that you will have the pleasure of working. It’s a phenomenal rifle and equal too many that are much more expensive.