Shelby County Clerk Closed This Week.

All branches of the Shelby County Clerk's office will be closed to the public this week as they attempt to catch up on the crippling back log in License plates and renewals. Yup, they're so far behind that they will have to turn away the general public for a while in hopes of catching up. 

My own license plate is due for renewal this month. Its also time for a whole new plate.  I filled out the forms and paid on-line 3 weeks ago. I got an e-mail yesterday saying my renewal has been completed and I can expect my new license plate with-in 21 days. 21 days?  😲 Fortunately, I was smart enough to print out the receipt in case I get pulled over. 🤔

Meanwhile County Clerk Wanda Halbert is vacationing in Jamaica this week. 🙄

Edited by Grayfox54
can't spell.
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

All branches of the Shelby County Clerk's office will be closed to the public this week as they attempt to catch up on the crippling back log in License plates and renewals. Yup, they're so far behind that they will have to turn away the general public for a while in hopes of catching up. 

My own license plate is due for renewal this month. Its also time for a whole new plate.  I filled out the forms and paid on-line 3 weeks ago. I got an e-mail yesterday saying my renewal has been completed and I can expect my new license plate with-in 21 days. 21 days?  😲 Fortunately, I was smart enough to price out the receipt in case I get pulled over. 🤔

Meanwhile County Clerk Wanda Halbert is vacationing in Jamaica this week. 🙄

Probably celebrating her recent re-election.  

Not to ruin morale or anything, but we have a friend who was in your situation, printed her receipt, got pulled over for expired tags, and still got ticketed.  Someday I will leave Shelby County.  

43 minutes ago, The Legion said:

There closing down and she takes off to Jamaica.

You actually seem surprised by this? Dude, its Shelby County. Political figures do as they please. 💩  Halbert wanted the title, the pay and the prestige, but apparently never thought about actually doing the job. 

Does anybody remember back in the early to mid-2000s when people with Handicap plates and placards had to mail paperwork to Nashville for renewal? The state took Shelby Co out of the handicap system for a while when it was discovered that all one needed to get a handicap plate or placard in Shelby Co was a $50 bill. 🤬 They managed to keep that little fiasco fairly quiet. But we knew about it because my wife was  legitimately handicapped at the time and we wondered why she was forced to renew by mail in Nashville. 🙄 

9 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

You actually seem surprised by this? Dude, its Shelby County. Political figures do as they please. 💩  Halbert wanted the title, the pay and the prestige, but apparently never thought about actually doing the job. 

Does anybody remember back in the early to mid-2000s when people with Handicap plates and placards had to mail paperwork to Nashville for renewal? The state took Shelby Co out of the handicap system for a while when it was discovered that all one needed to get a handicap plate or placard in Shelby Co was a $50 bill. 🤬 They managed to keep that little fiasco fairly quiet. But we knew about it because my wife was  legitimately handicapped at the time and we wondered why she was forced to renew by mail in Nashville. 🙄 

Having a handicap tag in Memphis is often a fashion statement.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2

Memphis is one of the reasons the carry permit system was changed. It was in the papers about 25 or 30 years ago revealing  the bribes taken to issue permits to people who did not qualify. If a huge flood flushed the city into the gulf it would be a good thing for Tennessee.

47 minutes ago, JT59 said:

Memphis is one of the reasons the carry permit system was changed. It was in the papers about 25 or 30 years ago revealing  the bribes taken to issue permits to people who did not qualify. If a huge flood flushed the city into the gulf it would be a good thing for Tennessee.

Bribes or favors for permits is not unique to Memphis.  It was rampant statewide before today’s permitting system and continues to this day in “may issue”states.

• Like 2

Before state wide permits, county only permits did exist. However, they were still pretty rare as they were issued by the local Sheriff and many were anti-gun politicians.  CCW was mostly a matter of who you knew. More often than not, a person who knew the right people would be commissioned as a "Special Deputy". This did in fact make them a LEO. Allowing them to carry anywhere and giving them full arrest powers as well. 

Former Shelby Co. Sheriff Gene Barksdale (1976-86) was well known for his multitude of "Special Deputies". He was a proponent of civilian CCW and rather free with commissions. Many of which worked private security for various companies around town. My FIL was head of Security for the Montessi Grocery store chain. He was also a personal friend of Barksdale and a fully commissioned "Special Deputy". 

I got my first Handgun Permit in 1992. It was only good in Shelby County. All it took was a letter to the Sheriff and I was enrolled in a Sheriff's Dept class that earned me a permit. For the life of me, I can't remember who was the Sheriff at that time. But it was really no problem as he favored civilian CCW. My google-foo has failed me. Anybody remember who was Sheriff at that time? 

30 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I got my first Handgun Permit in 1992. It was only good in Shelby County. All it took was a letter to the Sheriff and I was enrolled in a Sheriff's Dept class that earned me a permit. For the life of me, I can't remember who was the Sheriff at that time. But it was really no problem as he favored civilian CCW. My google-foo has failed me. Anybody remember who was Sheriff at that time? 

DuckDuckGo lead me to the answer;  A.C. Gilless.

• Like 1