Federal 22LR ammo 40gr

Federal has been a go to for reliability.  However this box of 22's are problematic.

This is ammo purchased new 5/22 and appears to be of recent manufacture though I did not check the lot number online (wasn't cheap either).

In the first 150 rounds had four bad rounds of ammo.

Taurus TX22 Comp -- 100 rounds

Failure to eject, could be the gun as it was the first round out of it.

Failure to extract due to a clear tape attached to the cartridge case.  Had to use forceps to get it out of chamber. Found another round like that with tape on it, but just threw it away.

One round found in box with no bullet or primer in it.

S&W Victory - 50 rounds

Out of 50 rounds, had one failure to fire which went off on second try.  Not unusual for 22 though so not including it in count.

IMG_1423.thumb.jpg.2592cd06ed188c3389fffa4510b32326.jpg

IMG_1425.thumb.jpg.6f0dd9a19dd8562d9d01fa9b38a44bc1.jpg

Never had box of ammo with tape on the rounds, or empty cases for that mater.

So if you are thinking of stocking up with the prices coming down, you may want to take note of my recent experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sleep profit said:

I. always have dud rounds when shooting 22s   4a box. Seems right. I have the Taurus tx 22   it likes cci. Or blazer. Or jams     Have a ruger mark 4 it eats everything so far.        never seen tape tho that is odd  

Yeah, neither have I.  That's why I posted it.

Can not imagine how that happened in production.

47 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Maybe the tape came from what was keeping the lid closed?  Looks like it was opened with a thumbnail.

Great idea, but what you see in the picture is the side of the box. It opens from the end with the blue painters tape on it which was added today. The end where it opens from had no tape. Just a simple pull out tab. 

Hummm, come to think of it it should have had tape on it

On further examination the great Golden Eagle may be on to something. 

upon close up inspection there seems to be the remains of the lower half of a circular piece of tape. Faint and hard to see

the top A00A6174-2FBA-4FEF-877B-59061E852360.thumb.jpeg.efefd18b3268bb38ae25d44f12a4ccba.jpeg5E44C275-7408-4A30-9519-C8A17F563094.thumb.jpeg.b9a24e8ff83198bd640153ded8069854.jpegof the box had no sign of tape on it

wonder if it got played with at the store

of course that does not explain the empty Unfired case

Edited by JustEd

I generally have reasonable luck with Federal but one variation, Federal American Eagle, gave me nothing but trouble and unfortunately I bought about 2000 rounds of it. It ran in most of my guns accept my Ruger SR22 pretty much every round would stick in the chamber and had to be pried out. Only thing I could think of was the brass was thinner and expanded to much.

So I guess what I'm getting at, I would try a couple of more guns and see if it is more reliable.

8 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I generally have reasonable luck with Federal but one variation, Federal American Eagle, gave me nothing but trouble and unfortunately I bought about 2000 rounds of it. It ran in most of my guns accept my Ruger SR22 pretty much every round would stick in the chamber and had to be pried out. Only thing I could think of was the brass was thinner and expanded to much.

So I guess what I'm getting at, I would try a couple of more guns and see if it is more reliable.

Wow, haven't seen the American Eagle for sale at the stores here.  That's one I might have trust as well.

Thanks for the heads up.