Barrel Extension Mod for Remington 1100

Sidewinder

My Remington 1100 20 gauge is slinging the empty hulls too far away to be found in the leaves and grass when hunting. I read about a "knockdown pin" that is installed on the Trap barrels, that deflects the empties down at your feet, instead of out wide. I reload, especially now that ammo is so expensive and want to recover my hulls for reloading. Has anyone else done this mod? If so, would you be willing to share the details and some pics, if possible? I have passed up on the idea of "shell catchers" as I want to continue to have multiple shots available. I spoke with a gentleman named "Tron" in another state.  He does not do them anymore. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/26/2022 at 4:55 PM, Sidewinder said:

My Remington 1100 20 gauge is slinging the empty hulls too far away to be found in the leaves and grass when hunting. I read about a "knockdown pin" that is installed on the Trap barrels, that deflects the empties down at your feet, instead of out wide. I reload, especially now that ammo is so expensive and want to recover my hulls for reloading. Has anyone else done this mod? If so, would you be willing to share the details and some pics, if possible? I have passed up on the idea of "shell catchers" as I want to continue to have multiple shots available. I spoke with a gentleman named "Tron" in another state.  He does not do them anymore. Thanks.

Is there anyone that has a Remington 1100 with a trap/skeet barrel, that can take some high resolution pics of the inside of your barrel extension? I'm interested in the location and configuration of the "knock down pin", or bump that deflects the hulls toward your feet. Pics would be very much appreciated.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:28 PM, Sidewinder said:

Is there anyone that has a Remington 1100 with a trap/skeet barrel

Before I went to the trouble of trying this to save a few hulls have you tried replacing the main action spring?  If it's several years old or been shot heavily the spring is probably not what it used to be and will cause ejected shells to fly out farther then a new one.  I believe this would be a much easier fix the having a knock down pin installed.

But if you are still determined to give it a try the photos below are what a Rem. 1100 step rib trap barrel with a knock down pin looks like.  This barrel has 10's of thousand of rounds thru it as seen by the wear.

I did not carefully measure anything as you stated your intentions were to modify a 20 gauge.  I would think this will change the exact location of the the knock down pin.  The pin itself is about .125" diameter and extends down into the ejection port about .0625".

The pin is located on the flat that would be at the top of the ejection port.

s0JjwqM.jpg

In this photo imaging the top of the receiver is facing you and you are looking into the ejection port.

kkinGWf.jpg

Mp5_Rizzo, thank you for taking the time to take these pics for me. You are exactly right about the Recoil/Action spring. I pulled it and instead of 15", it measured just a tad over 14". I stretched it out to just a tad over 15" and reinstalled it. I doubt that remedy will last long, so I'll be ordering a "new" replacement spring.

Is the knock down pin on your barrel a factory installed pin? I understand that Remington used to sell these pins to the public. I'm thinking they probably included some kind of drawing with the dimensions for the exact location. I have a friend that's a retired machinist, but not a smith. But with the exact location for a 20 gauge, I believe he could install the pin. I'm guessing the actual pins were the same for 12, 20, and 16 gauge barrels.

Again, I want to thank you for your help and apologize for the delay in replying to your post. Thank you very much.

21 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I have no idea as I acquired it used on http://barrelexchange.com  I just looked and they currently have none listed.  I haven't visited this website in a good while and their inventory is minuscule compared to a few years ago.

Thank you again. I'm still trying to get pics of a "known" factory pin installation. I'll keep trying and researching. I called Remarms today. They couldn't help, but directed me to Joint Force Enterprises (904-800-6333) in Jax Florida. Too late in the day to call East coast.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on this "knock down pin" system for a Remington 1100 LT 20. Does anyone have one of these guns in the "trap" version? If so, would you be willing to take a good pic of the inside of your barrel extension and post it on here? Thanks for your help. Remarms seems so scared of legal action that they will not offer any information and said that they no longer sell parts. At 75 cents to a dollar a shell, it's important for me to be able to recover my hulls for reloading!