AAR FUNDAMENTALS OF VEHICLE DEFENSE

I took this course with Randy Harris of Harris Combatives last Sunday.  Total of 8 students with a couple of them from out of state.  I will add that I have trained with Randy probably about 10 classes previously.  He never disappoints.  Randy is an excellent instructor and a trainer that is also an excellent shooter, (bio...http://harriscombative.com/)  I will also add that I have trained with some of the top names in the industry and Randy is respected in that group as well.  As the saying goes, 'you don't know what you don't know'.  Classes such as these not only expand one's toolbox, but also tests your equipment before it has to be used on your worst day.

This class is not for a beginner.  One should have the basics of gun handling and safety as a fundamental basic.  We started out with  a short classsroom session with a review of safety and why it is important to understand why one must not break two of the basic rules of safety simultaneously in such a contained space as an automobile to avoid injury to self or others.  Closed space gunfighting is certainly not the same as shooting targets on a square range.

We did all drills initially 'dry' using chairs individually as well as in pairs to simulate an auto.  We then proceeded to live fire.  The target -BG- was in a fixed position, but chairs were moved to simulate varying positions of shooting from drivers seat with the BG being to both sides of the car, front and back, as well as getting out of the car and moving to different  positions.  After the chair sessions we broke for lunch.  After lunch we moved to our own personal vehicles and ran all drills 'dry'.  Then just as we did on the range we moved to live fire from our own vehicles.  We each took turns shooting at a reactive BG target dressed with clothing.  GOOD hits caused the target to fall....wash, rinse and repeat 3-4 repetitions on each position. 

The 'final' run was done with a passenger in the car.  As a driver we addressed removing the seatbelt, safe draw-stroke, and shooting across the front of a seated passenger as well as out the rear passenger window.  Passengers of course get an unique experience at this time as well.  Also no vehicles were damaged in this course !

We had a full day, about 10 hrs to cover this course.  Randy definitely gives you your money's worth.  This course has a lot of movement, was unique in the depth of discussion and experience compared to other courses that scraped the surface of vehicle combatives.  I can highly recommend Randy for your training needs, from basic skills to advanced including shotguns and rifles, along with easy access and reasonable costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2