Heartbreaking decision time/ ATV purchase

res308

As much as it pains me to do this, I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m going to have to do it. 
Wife and I have been talking lately about the fact that I really need an ATV. We can’t afford both right now so I’m going to have to trade in (or sell) my beloved Harley Heritage. I’ve never loved a machine like this, but I need a good ATV more than I need my true love at this time. There’s not only work I need to do with it, but dragging deer up out of my steep gulleys has somehow lost its charm. 

I’m not only looking for a real good dealership (I keep hearing Abernathy’s/I-69 Motorsports in Union City is the best), I’m looking for brand and model recommendations. I’ve actually never owned an ATV. 

I need a good 4x4 4 wheeler. I don’t want a side-by-side.

What I need foremost is long term reliability. I’d like for this to be a one-and-done thing.

What I need is a good stout 4 wheeler, a bare minimum of at least 500cc, REALLY GOOD pulling power, 4 wheel drive, good racks, and a winch. I don’t know if power steering is a must, but it’d sure be nice, and an auto transmission would be nice too. Good fuel mileage and ease of maintenance is a must too. 

The chinese brands are automatically out. I’ve been studying up on the Honda Foreman and Foreman Rubicon, the Yamaha Kodiak and Grizzly, the Suzuki King Quad, and the Polaris Sportsman 570 and 850. Done a smidge of study on the CanAm Outlander 570 too. Don’t know much about the Kawasaki yet but I’ll look at those. 

It’s going to be tough to let go of my true love, so it’s going to have to be just the right deal, and any recommendations from personal experience and/or good information sources would sure be welcome right about now. 

Edited by res308

I have a Honda Rincon 680.  It does everything that I need it to and does it well.  Zero complaints.  I've owned every brand out there and I don't want anything other than a Honda.  I currently own a Polaris RZR as well, and would absolutely not recommend anything Polaris.  Hondas require gas, a Polaris will need gas, as well as a repair at every outing.  I went from a Recon 250 to the Rincon, two things that are a must on any future purchases are independent rear suspension and 4wd.  The difference that the IRS makes is amazing, if you are riding in the hills or mountains it is simply a matter of safety. 

18 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I have a Honda Rincon 680.  It does everything that I need it to and does it well.  Zero complaints.  I've owned every brand out there and I don't want anything other than a Honda.  I currently own a Polaris RZR as well, and would absolutely not recommend anything Polaris.  Hondas require gas, a Polaris will need gas, as well as a repair at every outing.  I went from a Recon 250 to the Rincon, two things that are a must on any future purchases are independent rear suspension and 4wd.  The difference that the IRS makes is amazing, if you are riding in the hills or mountains it is simply a matter of safety. 

I'm with ya on the Polaris, had one, and Never again.

Honda's are hard to beat.

RP

Don't be afraid of older Hondas, I wouldn't bat an eye of concern for a 2004 Honda 4x4 Foreman if been kept in good condition, and these can be had in the $2000 range, maybe that will allow you to keep your beloved Harley.  My brother kept my dad's 2004 which was bought brand new in 2004.  It looks the same and runs the same as the day he bought it new 18 years ago.  

• Like 2

Yamaha is a good brand also.  I had a Bear Tracker (2wd) for 20 years changed the lubricants every year not one problem. Couple of the guys had Kodiaks, no issues either. One Polaris in the group, fixing it every other weekend. Most of the outfitters we used had Hondas or Yamahas. Keep the Hog look into a used machine.

I had to give up my Harley a several years ago due to issues with Vertigo. Been riding since 14, I’m now 65. I’ve had several Polaris’. Last two were 500 and 800. Now own a Honda 420 and it is awsome. It Carries my big arse and works like a rented mule. Way easier to maintain than the Polaris. I agree the Polaris always requires maintenance anytime you press it. The Honda requires gas and fluid changes once a year and ridden to keep the battery up. A friend of mine has a Can Am. Good but transmission and engine are one unit. Just like a Harley Sportster, If you have an engine or transmission problem, both have to be disassembled. What a pain. 

I have 2 Honda 4wheelers and a Yamaha X2 Wolverine 850 SxS .I’d put Honda 1st on the 4 wheelers. I’ve had probably 10 or 15 Honda 3 and 4 wheelers through the years. They are hard to beat! I love my Yamaha SxS too, I’ve put around 2000 miles on it in the 2.5 years I’ve had it.No problems , that’s mostly mountain riding miles.One of my 4 wheelers has about 9 k miles and I’ve put one bearing and a  solenoid for the transmission on it.

3 hours ago, runco said:

Don't be afraid of older Hondas, I wouldn't bat an eye of concern for a 2004 Honda 4x4 Foreman if been kept in good condition, and these can be had in the $2000 range, maybe that will allow you to keep your beloved Harley.  My brother kept my dad's 2004 which was bought brand new in 2004.  It looks the same and runs the same as the day he bought it new 18 years ago.  

Absolutely!  My recon is 25 years old (1997 model) and was abused before I got it. I would ride it anywhere without hesitation. It was a $500 yardsale find.  I have put a set of tires on it and a steering bushing.  It got used most everyday for the first 3 years that I had it.  Very durable machine. 

• Like 1

My daughter has a 300 fourtrax I bought new in 1995 , no telling how many miles it has on it. Still in great shape and runs like a new one. It will start in any temperature weather without having to choke it.

The 300’s are the best Honda ever made! BULLETPROOF!

Edited by jeff43
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, jeff43 said:

My daughter has a 300 fourtrax I bought new in 1995 , no telling how many miles it has on it. Still in great shape and runs like a new one. It will start in any temperature weather without having to choke it.

The 300’s are the best Honda ever made! BULLETPROOF!

Early 90s Honda 300 4x4 is the greatest internal combustion powered vehicle ever made.  

38 minutes ago, res308 said:

Thanks for all the input. Now, what's y'all's opinions on the best dealers out there?

I have nothing good to say about any dealers that I've dealt with, but haven't dealt with any in your area.  I would highly recommend shopping lightly used and looking for something owned by someone who was meticulous with maintenance, preferably dealer maintained, mainly because the service can be documented.  It will be be very obvious whether or not the machine has been well cared for.  I picked up my Rincon about a year ago.  It had 24 hours and 175 miles on it.  It's a 2012 model.  It was basically new.  

13 hours ago, res308 said:

Thanks for all the input. Now, what's y'all's opinions on the best dealers out there?

Abernathy’s is where I bought my boat and 4 wheeler. Great service and unbeatable prices. I don’t know what they have now, since Mr. Abernathy became a victim of “woke”.

I still suggest you look for a used one from an individual. They aren’t really in vogue right now and can be had at a reasonable price since the influx of side by sides came about.

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Since I probably should not even post in this topic but is the Can-Am ATV's a good product or piece of junk?

Why fer should you not post? This is your home too man 😎

I don’t know since I was having to study up on them myself but I hear the CanAm is good. Probably like anything else though, some people swear by them and some people swear at them.