How to ship a firearm for service?

"UPS has changed its policies.  Like FedEx, UPS will now *ONLY* accept firearm shipments from FFLs.
An unlicensed person can no longer ship a handgun without the services of a FFL. 
An unlicensed person may still ship a long gun to a FFL in any state or to another unlicensed person in the *same state* via U.S. Postal Service (USPS/"mail"), but not via UPS or FedEx. An unlicensed person may not ship handguns via U.S. Postal Service."

So with FedEx not accepting firearms except from an FFL and now UPS adopting the same policy, and with handguns unable to go via USPS, will manufacturers somehow make right the costs the consumer will be  paying in the way of FFL charges to ship and then once again receive a defective firearm?

Seems like FFL's will capitalize on this new revenue stream. FFL charges could easily add up to another $100 just to send off and receive back the defective gun.  

Thoughts?

Since you are not using the FFL to transfer the firearm and do all the background stuff, maybe they will start offering the shipping services for a nominal fee. It will for sure be a revenue stream, but you are basically just using the name and address. 

Generally when sending a firearm in for service, you contact the maker, company or provider first. Making all arrangements prior to shipping. More often than not, they will e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label. Simply attach that to the package and drop off at the named carrier. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Generally when sending a firearm in for service, you contact the maker, company or provider first. Making all arrangements prior to shipping. More often than not, they will e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label. Simply attach that to the package and drop off at the named carrier. 

Not anymore. That’s my point. UPS, like FedEx, will no longer accept a firearm from a non-FFL. A manufacturer providing a shipping label to an individual is no longer a thing as none of the carriers will accept the firearm from the individual. 

• Like 1

The last time I shipped anything, UPS and Fedex required that the sender or the receiver be an FFL (one or the other).  Otherwise, returning something to Smith & Wesson, Ruger, etc for service would be all but impossible.  Where are you getting your information? 

• Like 3
  • Administrator
41 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

The last time I shipped anything, UPS and Fedex required that the sender or the receiver be an FFL (one or the other).  Otherwise, returning something to Smith & Wesson, Ruger, etc for service would be all but impossible.  Where are you getting your information? 

My thoughts as well.

I shipped a gun back to Walther last year. They sent me a prepaid label. I took the gun in a box to my local FedEx and shipped it. They then shipped it back to my house without issue. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

So it appears that there has been a major change in the field of firearms shipping.  Fedex still apparently allows Johnny Gunowner to ship a gun to a manufacturer for warranty service, etc.  i did so a month ago, same scenario as what Erik88 described.  

B7BEE1B5-FD78-4EC6-B027-D522C2392C6F.png

• Like 1

…but UPS apparently no longer allows you to even do that

A2F4E002-2E05-4208-B321-FE43F315D3F4.png

So F the guy who wants to legitimately send his gun to an FFL holder to get it ceracoated, milled for a dot, get a trigger job, etc.  Not to mention what this does to Gunbroker.  

Being a gunowner is not getting easier. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

UPS and FedEx both have more business right now than they can handle. This allows them to be more selective in who they service. I don't think they ever wanted to serve firearms owners but needed the revenue. Now they think they no longer need us. So now they are kicking us to the curb.

• Like 1

If the maker sends you a pre-paid label, they are the shipper and do meet all the requirements. The only thing that changes is the place of origin. I really don't see a problem here. Much ado about nothing. 

When and if somebody actually has a problem, let us know. Speculation at this point is worthless. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, Eray said:

UPS and FedEx both have more business right now than they can handle. This allows them to be more selective in who they service. I don't think they ever wanted to serve firearms owners but needed the revenue. Now they think they no longer need us. So now they are kicking us to the curb.

Maybe, but “more business than we can handle” is temporary.  Fdx and UPS require handguns to use their 1 day services, which are the most profitable.  If they were solely worried about profits, they would baby those lucrative customers.  And if UPS now no longer allows Smith & Wesson or CZ to send labels to their customers for return purposes, they will probably lose some business to Fdx. 

Edited by deerslayer
5 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

If the maker sends you a pre-paid label, they are the shipper and do meet all the requirements. The only thing that changes is the place of origin. I really don't see a problem here. Much ado about nothing. 

When and if somebody actually has a problem, let us know. Speculation at this point is worthless. 

What if you are not shipping to a maker?  And where does someone with a pre-printed UPS label take their gun?

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

The original question was about sending firearms in for service. Any gun I've sent in in the past has never been a problem. I did have to take the package to the local distribution center as the storefront places aren't supposed to take firearms. But that was no big deal.  Most every town has at least one distribution center. Often, I'm given the choice to have the package picked-up at my home, although I personally never have used that option. 

This sort of thing pops up pretty regularly every time UPS or Fed Ex makes any kind of policy change on firearms. AFAIK, its never proven to be a problem. Guns are shipped every day and continue to be. My point is why worry and get your panties all in a wad until it actually proves to be a problem?  So, has anybody had a problem? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

The original question was about sending firearms in for service. Any gun I've sent in in the past has never been a problem. I did have to take the package to the local distribution center as the storefront places aren't supposed to take firearms. But that was no big deal.  Most every town has at least one distribution center. Often, I'm given the choice to have the package picked-up at my home, although I personally never have used that option. 

This sort of thing pops up pretty regularly every time UPS or Fed Ex makes any kind of policy change on firearms. AFAIK, its never proven to be a problem. Guns are shipped every day and continue to be. My point is why worry and get your panties all in a wad until it actually proves to be a problem?  So, has anybody had a problem? 

My panties are not in a wad, but I can read and this is a big change.  What you were able to do in the past is irrelevant.  The scenario you describe above about taking your package to a local UPS distribution center is no longer an option.  Shipping a gun to Cajun Gun Works or Primary Machine to get the slide milled and the frame cerakoted is no longer an option, unless they agree to provide  you with a Fedex label, and that is usually only for warranty issues.  So again, if nothing has really changed, where does someone with a pre-printed UPS label take their gun?  How do I send something to CGW for some custom work?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

My point is why worry and get your panties all in a wad until it actually proves to be a problem?  So, has anybody had a problem? 

You know that’s not how the world works.  A perceived problem is just as bad as a potential real problem. 

(sarcasm)

But I do see this as a potential real problem. 

Edited by Snaveba
  • Like 1

If S&W gives you a label to ship back to them then in essence THEY  are shipping it and you are just dropping it off. I had both Taurus (I paid for the label) and Springfield (they paid for the label) send me a shipping label in the past.

My local FFL stopped shipping things for people recently after a very expensive gun went missing in shipping. He said it is not worth the $15 over shipping he charged. Dealing with an insurance claim with any major carrier is a test of patience on a good day. 

I dealt with both sellers in OR and WA where they must by state law ship via a FFL and the FFLs out there charge $100 and up PLUS shipping in many cases. That basically makes a huge section of guns unprofitable to ship. 

• Like 1