How to ship a firearm for service?

1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Firearms are a huge business in this country. I have faith that the various makers and FFLs have worked this out. Like I said, when it actually becomes a problem, let me know. 🙄

Here you go.  Link won’t embed for some reason, but here’s a screenshot

BA18225B-E49E-4BF6-B110-288203BB8D52.png

5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I shipped a gun back to Walther last year. They sent me a prepaid label. I took the gun in a box to my local FedEx and shipped it. They then shipped it back to my house without issue. 

Same with Sig

As far as the change, we’ll adapt. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, A.J. Holst said:

It appears scheduling a pick up solves the problem, seems at least as secure as drop off and certainly more convenient for me.

Right, but first you have to be an FFL, have a Scheduled Pickup account, and enter into an approved firearms agreement, whatever that involves.  Firearms just became the new HazMat.  

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) and firearm parts that do not constitute firearms as defined by federal law (together, “Firearm Products”) for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

Firearm Products may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services.

To receive service for packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

2021 rules:

UPS accepts Packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies; and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state, or local law from (i) an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual. 

Firearms (including handguns) are accepted for transportation only via Scheduled Pickup Service or at a UPS Customer Center. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Talked to a fellow at the range yesterday who was trying to ship a slide at UPS (not the UPS Store) and was told that he had to A) have a UPS account B) sign a firearms shipper agreement and C) schedule a pickup.  He was not sending it to a manufacturer for warranty work.  

Edited by deerslayer

I'm pretty sure the UPS guy is wrong.  You can no longer ship an entire gun (or a frame) without a firearms shipper agreement, but you can ship a slide.  Heck, for just a slide, you can send it USPS in one of their flat-rate boxes and save money.

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

I'm pretty sure the UPS guy is wrong.  

Not according to UPS’ new rules.  “Firearm Products” are restricted to FFLs, etc, but UPS now defines pretty much any gun part as a “Firearm Product.”  From their website;

“Firearm Part” is any part or component of a Firearm that does not by itself meet the definition of a “Firearm.”  By way of example only, Firearm Parts include, but are not limited to, barrels, stocks, grips, firing pins, sights, and magazines/clips.

“Firearm Products” means Firearms and Firearm Parts.  The term Firearm Product does not include scopes.

UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

To transport packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

It doesn’t look like Fedex restricts parts yet, but I wouldn’t be shocked if that also changes.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone on another gun board suggested shipmygun.com.  I don't have any personal experience with them so I can't vouch for their service, but it might be worth looking into.  Guns ship through a network of FFLs, $29 for a long gun, $39 for a handgun.

• 1 month later...