Springfield Prodigy 1911DS double stack announced

Spots

So Im a few days late, but I didnt see a post on here. Looks like SA is getting into the Double stack market. Price point for an optics ready is in the $1400-1600 range. If they can come in at that or below on street price they will have a real winner on their hands I think. Id buy one in that range. 

The Prodigy from Springfield Armory takes the proven 1911 platform and enhances it with double-stack capacity and a performance-driven feature set. Reconfigured around a double-stack magazine, the Prodigy’s polymer grip module mounts to its forged steel frame offering capacities of 17+1 and 20+1. Optics ready with an ambidextrous safety and picatinny rail the Prodigy combines the most beloved characteristics of the 1911 with modern capacity for unrivaled performance.

4.25" Forged Stainless Steel Match Grade Barrel

Fiber Optic Front Sight, Black Serrated Rear Sight

Forged Carbon Steel Frame Black Cerakote

Polymer Black Grip

1x 17 Round, 1x 20 Round Magazine

2 Piece Full Length Guide Rod

Optics Ready Slide

32.5 oz

Optic cut appears to be the Agency Optic System

Magazines are made by DuraMag and are "designed as a true improved version of the 2011 pattern mags. Tested and fully proofed in every gun that uses that pattern magazine"

Reports say they will also use Stacatto magazines so that should be a plus. 

Tn9tFm9.jpg

XhPhxfS.png

Screenshot_20220830-200136_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220830-200142_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220830-200150_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I've got a Staccato C2 DPO (optics ready) and carry it often.  If this 1911DS from Springfield doesn't suck, I can see myself buying one so as to have a less expensive option for carry purposes.

The problem with Springfield is that you can buy two of the same gun from them and one will be perfect and trouble-free, and the other might be a complete trainwreck.

I'm going to be interested in seeing how this one shakes out.

• Like 3
  • Administrator

More high-res pics.  In photos, this thing looks good and looks like a veritable clone of the Staccato C2.   It's been a long while since I was legitimately excited about a new gun, but this could light my fire if it's done well.

Don't F this up, Springfield.  🙂

XTTOvoa.jpeg

oOCsKFa.jpeg

h6FLRCP.jpeg

eVzqPbC.jpeg

GCVspjR.jpeg

R9ZApRN.jpeg

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Don't F this up, Springfield. 

I think they already did. 🙄

4.25" barrel? I'd think this set up would be better with a full 5" barrel. A fat, heavy Commander size just doesn't make sense. You'd have to add suspenders to keep your pants up. 

17 & 20 round mags? Good grief, the mag probably weighs as much as a standard 1911.  🙁

2 piece FLGR? Nope, that'll have to go. Damn things come unscrewed at the worst possible times.  👎

Plastic grip frame? Aw Hell NO! 🤬

I own a Para-Ordnance double stack 1911 and honestly don't care much for it. The wide grip and extra weight just throws the whole feel and balance of the gun off. It just don't feel like a 1911. 🥴

I'm a huge fan of Springfield Armory and own 4 of their 1911s. But I have no interest in this thing.  💩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Administrator

More information that excites me:

• Confirmed that Springfield licensed the Agency Optics System (AOS) from Agency Arms.  This is an OMG moment for me as (a.) it's a hell of a smart move that provides an outstanding optics mounting design, and (b.) it means that Agency is willing to license the AOS to other manufacturers now and that will be great for everyone.

• The magazines are not made by MecGar as was previously reported but are made by DuraMag instead.  If I had to choose between them, it's a no-brainer:  DuraMag.  They (DuraMag) also stated on social media that they worked hard to make these mags compatible with the Staccato series of pistols, so this means we will start seeing cheaper and arguably better mags for that platform as a result.
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Apparently not. But who is? 

Entire segments of gun-toting professionals, competitive shooters, and armed civilians who take the craft seriously.  It kind of blows my mind that there is anyone left who hasn't noticed the resurgence of the 2011 over the past few years.

• Like 4

From what I read, it's optic cut is for only one type of red dot, they will have to offer some other plates before I think about getting one. For now I'll stick to the four Staccato's that I already have, P DPO, C2 DPO, C DPO, and the 4.14 with full rail and standard sights.

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

From what I read, it's optic cut is for only one type of red dot, they will have to offer some other plates before I think about getting one.

I imagine they're pushing their Dragonfly optic, or whatever it's called, but I'm with you on wanting other options.  The AOS mounting system should make that a non-issue.

21 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

For now I'll stick to the four Staccato's that I already have, P DPO, C2 DPO, C DPO, and the 4.14 with full rail and standard sights.

I'm not ditching my C2 for one of these but I can see buying one or two of them for myself and the wife. 

I want something to carry that I'd be a little less bothered by if it got banged around in a class or I had to watch it disappear into an evidence vault if, God forbid, I had to use it to defend myself. 

And my wife is a sucker for the 1911/2011 and this would be a great way to give her one of her own.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
4 hours ago, Snaveba said:

In the attached screen shot from the SA website, can someone explain why the guy is shooting with a tourniquet on his right arm?  $hits and giggles?

That's Tu Lam of Ronin Tactics.  You mean you don't practice impaired shooting drills? 🤨

Tu Lam, of Ronin Tactics, is a Man of Honor, Discipline and Service (ballisticmag.com)

When you think about the recent history of the 1911 you have consistently seen manufacturers about 15-20 years behind competition guns. Most of the mods done by Bill Wilson for competition found its way to major manufacturers a decade or more later. This is yet another example of them catching up. When I first built open guns for USPSA it was blatantly obvious that the dot was by far the biggest factor in fast and accurate shooting. Back then the technology wasn't quite there to make it completely possible (although there were work arounds) but now were pretty much there. As far as this gun is concerned, I would want the slide flat topped and the sights not so high and tucked down into your grip with co-witness. Would take more weight out of the gun and further reduce muzzle rise. Love the double undercut trigger guard though!!!

• Like 1

Got to hold the Prodigy 4.25" at the shop yesterday. Overall felt very nice in hand, slide action was nice, even smoother than expected. Turned down buying it at MSRP, I'll wait for the prices to settle down before making my final decision but it definitely has me interested.