Springfield Prodigy 1911DS double stack announced

Spots

2 hours ago, NickinTN said:

Got to hold the Prodigy 4.25" at the shop yesterday. Overall felt very nice in hand, slide action was nice, even smoother than expected. Turned down buying it at MSRP, I'll wait for the prices to settle down before making my final decision but it definitely has me interested. 

How was the trigger?  I've read a couple reviews saying the trigger was pretty lackluster. 

• Administrator

Anyone who tracks firearms social media outside of TGO has undoubtedly seen that the Prodigy pistols have been fraught with problems and that early adopters are finding themselves in one of two camps:  No problems or tons of problems.

Sadly, this is typical of new product launches in general but definitely a problem that Springfield Armory is no stranger to.  I am particularly glad that they don't make spacecraft, airplanes or automobiles.  🙄

Anyway, here's a good and pretty fairly balanced video review.

Hilton Yam did a very informative Q&A about the Prodigy on IG.He hasn’t shot it yet but did a deep dive into the differences between it and the Staccato. The gist of it was the Staccato is almost $900 more for a reason,better parts and fitting.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
12 minutes ago, et45 said:

Hilton Yam did a very informative Q&A about the Prodigy on IG.He hasn’t shot it yet but did a deep dive into the differences between it and the Staccato. The gist of it was the Staccato is almost $900 more for a reason,better parts and fitting.

Watching it now, actually.

3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

How was the trigger?  I've read a couple reviews saying the trigger was pretty lackluster. 

I thought it was good. Not great but certainly good. I was there when the new owner picked it up today and told him I wanted a full range report! 

copy and paste from another forum I posted in.

I picked up the 4.25” Saturday after not winning the giveaway and was able to get it out to the range today.
I was getting a little worried about how it was going to do after seeing a ton of complaints on FB with mostly FtF issues.
Before the range I cleaned it really well and hit it with a bunch of Lucas gun oil along with a lot of dry fire the day prior.

400rds total. Only rest it had was when I would load both magazines (20-17) then burn through them at about a .7 cadence. Had four issues total.
All issues just so happen to be when I was using the 17rd magazine.

Failure to fully go into battery around round 200

Then 3 consecutive FtF around 290
No more issues to 400.
This was just plinking ammo I had laying around 115gr blazer Alum/brass, I have some hotter ammo on order to continue breaking in.

Not impressed at all with the trigger and will be sending it off after I near 1k rounds.
Other than that I’m pretty happy with it, it’s not a Staccato but it is a more budget friendly way of getting into a 2011. 

I will be taking it out again tomorrow to put a few hundred more through it. 

57BA8AB8-7A3D-4E70-A9AB-3172C9C0D93D.jpeg

3FA5329A-639E-425D-9C58-E3EC80D94602.jpeg

• Like 1

I handled one today and liked it.  The owner said he only had about 100 rounds through it, but he's had no trouble so far.  It did seem to be a bit under sprung - this is unusual; factory guns usually have too much recoil spring.  The ambi safety is worthless - the right side is too slim to be of any use.  The trigger felt like it was 5-6 pounds, kinda heavy for a 2011.  The grip felt slimmer than other 2011s.  The gun is not very useful to me as a competitive shooter, but I thought it was interesting.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1

Really excited at the prospect of getting into a double stack 1911 platform at much less than a 2011 price point. Expect for 1000 USD less give or take there are gonna be some differences in quality vs. Staccato, et. al., no problem there.

Anyone have recommendation of an honest dealer(s) to order/get on a waitlist for one of these, located around Mid TN?

Edited by James B
grammar
On 9/10/2022 at 7:30 AM, JustEd said:

I can see using Blazer aluminum to save money shooting a lot. It is hardly what I would evaluate a firearm with.   

I shouldn’t have posted my feedback because it was Alum ammo? You didn’t read where I said this is what I had laying around when I took it to the range…

I am nearing 1k rounds through it with no issues since those 3 in the original post. Blazer Alum/brass Speer lawman 124gr and some steel case.

This gun will be used in less desirable conditions during RnG events in all weather conditions and water crossings. I need it to work with decent ammo and cheap ammo so evaluating under perfect conditions with only the best ammo is not useful for me. This gun will be beat on.

• Like 1

Well actually that was not rip on you. 

What I intended was that failures to feed "could" be in part due to the aluminum ammo.  So the gun "may" be better than it seemed in your post.

CCI aluminum is good ammo, but neither perfect nor the benchmark for reliability. 

I used it alot in 9mm and found it quite adequate for classes, etc.  I preferred my own brass reloads for ANY competition.  Not that the CCI was bad but it is a bit different from brass case ammo.  How?  Glad you asked.  For one, the crimp on the projectile does not seem as firm as on brass cases.  That makes sense as aluminum does not have the elasticity.  While 9mm worked ok in the guns I used.  38 spl. could be problem as their aluminum cases lacked any significant crimp.  Gave up on them for bug matches as they projectiles could work forward under recoil and jam the revolver.  I had this happen once on a 45 acp Kimber Carry II during qualification. 

So, my point was about the limitations of this ammo.

Hope that clears things up.  Glad you posted your experience.

Happy Days !

I appreciate the clarification. It seems a lot of people have had problems with these out of the box, luckily this one seems to run pretty good.

I just ordered some parts from cylinder&slide hoping to clean up this trigger. I will try to keep everyone updated on this over the next couple of months. If anyone wants and specific pictures or has questions about it feel free to reach out. 

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...

Shot the 4” today.  Smooth action, reliable function, very accurate and very good sights….this from a dot fan.  Trigger was good/ smooth and about 5#.  Really liked it.  This was a friends, I would consider purchase.  My Fury 1911 holster with rail worked well with this gun.  If they all worked like this one , it’s a winner. 

• Like 1