S&W announced their new M&P in all metal form

tercel89

S&W announced their M&P pistol in all metal form. It looks just like the polymer M&P but the frame is made from aluminum. I am anxious to see the innards of the frame. All the video's only show the outside and not the insides. Supposedly they can use the existing magazines from the polymer M&P's. 

Edited by tercel89
4 hours ago, scatman said:

Yeah, they swapped to a flat faced trigger similar to the Apex on the Shield Plus, hoping to see the same trend with these newer models.

I certainly hope they improved the trigger!  Had a Gen 1 M&P in .45ACP and hated that pistol for the crappy trigger that came on it.  Also didn't like the grip. Felt like a oversized round broom handle in my hand. Traded it away for a .45ACP SA XDs.  I was instantly much happier.  I suppose I should give the GEN 2 M&P another try, though.  It sounds like they learned from their past mistakes.

9 hours ago, Moped said:

I certainly hope they improved the trigger!  Had a Gen 1 M&P in .45ACP and hated that pistol for the crappy trigger that came on it.  Also didn't like the grip. Felt like a oversized round broom handle in my hand. Traded it away for a .45ACP SA XDs.  I was instantly much happier.  I suppose I should give the GEN 2 M&P another try, though.  It sounds like they learned from their past mistakes.

The M2.0 isn't much of an improvement on trigger IMO. The Shield+, newest model of the shield, and only available in 9mm, has the newest trigger style of all M&Ps. The 2.0's still have the hinged trigger like the 1st gen.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, LeftySlade said:

Anyone had any first-hand experience with one yet? Seem rather scarce at the moment. 

I have yet to see one in the wild. Which is interesting compared to how fast they got the Shield+ out in stores in full supply.

I saw a couple of them at the Murfreesboro gun show this past weekend.  Grips are pretty rough textured, and given how much some people complained about the roughness of the 2.0 grips, I imagine this will get some criticism.  I happen to like the 2.0 grip surface myself.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Handled one today. The grip texture is very aggressive but not horrible. The grip angle is great. I like the feel of it. Feels built like a tank. 

Weight does not seem to be noticeable over polymer. 

Wish they had installed night sights from factory. They did include plates to match almost every red dot out though. 

Love the looks of it. The color with the cerakote is spot on for this pistol. 

Time will tell but this is a sharp looking gun. 

20221020-152401.jpg

• Like 4
20 hours ago, StrategicFS said:

They did include plates to match almost every red dot out though.

I've read numerous reports of screws being sheared and optics flying off due to issues with the supplied plastic mounting plates.  I for one wish a steel plate was supplied by S&W, but in fairness I don't believe any gun manufacturer supplies a steel plate.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

I've read numerous reports of screws being sheared and optics flying off due to issues with the supplied plastic mounting plates.  I for one wish a steel plate was supplied by S&W, but in fairness I don't believe any gun manufacturer supplies a steel plate.

OEM mounting plates universally suck. I don’t think anyone has gotten them right. Aftermarket plates are pretty much a necessity if you us a plate system. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
4 hours ago, billyblazes said:

I for one wish a steel plate was supplied by S&W, but in fairness I don't believe any gun manufacturer supplies a steel plate.

For what it's worth Walther does. However, the aftermarket plate is much better.

On 10/21/2022 at 5:09 PM, Chucktshoes said:

OEM mounting plates universally suck. I don’t think anyone has gotten them right. Aftermarket plates are pretty much a necessity if you us a plate system. 

I found the plates on the FN 509 to be rather well done. Never had an issue and tried multiple optics, but that's about the only thing they did right on that gun in my opinion. 

I have one of these Metal 2.0 guns and really like it.

To correct a few misinformed posts above, yes this gun does have the new and improved trigger much like the Shield Plus.  I have both and love the trigger on both models. 

Yes it does weigh a bit more and thee texturing is more aggressive than the Shield Plus.

All in all I really love the gun.  As someone stated above, I really do wish they had included their night sights that are on the Shield Plus.  I see why they didn't as it is a different fit to the slide.  But they certainly could have made a good night sight that would have worked well on this gun. 

I love the look of it and shoot it more accurately than the smaller Shield Plus which I already shoot pretty well anyway. 

In my case, the Shield Plus is my goto carry gun and the Metal 2.0 is more of a range/night stand gun. 

IMG_3045.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm glad S&W is experimenting with metal frames again, but personally I see this as a bit of a step backward.  I'm not sold on the reasons for replacing a light, non-corrosive, impact resistant polymer frame with a marginally lighter, far more expensive frame that is subject to cumulative stress fatigue and finish wear.   I'd rather see them come up with a steel frame, which would hold up to repeated stress better than aluminum and provide a real recoil reduction benefit.  

• Like 2
On 11/20/2022 at 12:14 AM, ken_mays said:

I'm glad S&W is experimenting with metal frames again, but personally I see this as a bit of a step backward.  I'm not sold on the reasons for replacing a light, non-corrosive, impact resistant polymer frame with a marginally lighter, far more expensive frame that is subject to cumulative stress fatigue and finish wear.   I'd rather see them come up with a steel frame, which would hold up to repeated stress better than aluminum and provide a real recoil reduction benefit.  

Good points. 

And I was wondering if the frame uses aluminum rails?  Or possibly the retained the steel inserts as on the polymer versions?

No one has shown a picture of the innards yet.