CMP 1911s Round 3.

Grayfox54

7 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

CMP will start taking application packets for the next round of 1911 sales on Sept. 1 until Sept 30.聽

Here's a great chance to own a piece of history. Get your paperwork in ASAP!

I got mine in the first round.聽馃槂

So did I......

The paperwork is a bit of a hassle, but well worth the end result.聽 Go for it!

• 2 months later...

As said above, a 1945 Remington Rand frame with a Colt slide.

The barrel is a 1985 chrome-lined replacement.

The grips (or at least one of them) are replacement. They don't match. Same style and color, but one is shiny and the other is dull/matte.

I see no re-aresenal stamps. The lettering on both the frame and slide are crisp so I'm not sure if either was ever refinished or not. If either was, I'd say the slide more likely than the frame as the Colt patent roll mark isn't quite as crisp as the frame's lettering.

It has a few small nicks and some light scratches on the slide, and you can see the discoloration common on these old warhorses. I'm not sure if it's from the holsters or what, but that front 1/3rd of the slide is slightly darker than the rest and I see that on a lot of these. There's also a little holster wear along the high spots, esp. towards the muzzle. Bonus: No idiot scratch from the take down pin!

The mag has no marking on the toe and is stamped on the bottom plate with 19200聽聽 ASSY 5508694聽 MFR. 1M291 which I think makes it made in the 1970s-1990s by Checkmate, probably on a government contract since they did make mags for the .Gov and The CMP had this one on hand but obviously not original to this gun. 馃檪

It's very a solid gun with no rust or pitting. I was (like probably all other CMP buyers) hoping for 100% Colt, but I'm pretty happy with this one.

Like other CMP guns, it came in a nice heavy duty case Made in the USA.

AHHP7704.jpg
BLUV5330.jpg
IMG-4011.jpg
IMG-4012.jpg
IMG-4013.jpg

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That gun has聽definitely been through an arsenal rebuild. Sometimes they just don't get marked.聽馃檮

2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

that front 1/3rd of the slide is slightly darker than the rest and I see that on a lot of these.

I've been told that that discoloration is due to the heat treating of the slide. The new finish reacts differently to that part of the slide. Its very common on arsenal rebuilt guns.聽

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

That gun has聽definitely been through an arsenal rebuild. Sometimes they just don't get marked.聽馃檮

I've been told that that discoloration is due to the heat treating of the slide. The new finish reacts differently to that part of the slide. Its very common on arsenal rebuilt guns.聽

A lot of them had parts replaced and or mixed up at the unit level.Only guns sent to an arsenal were stamped.