Looking into starting reloading

Hey,

I am looking into getting into reloading, mostly for 12 gauge, 45 acp and 5.56 / .223. I've looked into the various presses a little and unless someone has some good reasons, was thinking of going with the Lee Load All 2 for 12 gauge.

As for long gun / hand gun ammo I actually can't find a good answer to my question anywhere, seems to be one of those things everyone leaves off because they assume "everyone knows" it already.

If I got a progressive reloading press (Don't really like all the work involved with a single stage press), will that cover every handgun and rifle ammo so long as I buy the individual dies? Or does each press have some built in limitation? Although those are the ones I would probably use the most, I do have use for 30-30, 40 S&W and 38 Special as well and would like the option at some point down the road.

As for a starting press, would the Hornady Lock N Load be good enough or will I quickly wish I'd bought a more expensive one like the Dillon Precision?

I am not looking to make competiition rounds or even anything straight out of the book. This is more a hobby / for fun and just wanting to make my own ammo / reuse my range brass.

Sorry to say, but right now is not a good time to start reloading. While the ammo shortage is starting to lighten up, there is still a shortage of reloading components. Especially powder and primers. What little can be found is too expensive for any real savings. You may need to give it a bit more time before taking the plunge. 

OTOH, now would be a good time to shop for used equipment as some folks are getting out of reloading due to the lack of components. Others bought gear, but never got off the ground. 

Having said that, I've been reloading on an old RCBS Rockchucker single stage press for about 40 years now. It may be slow, but it still works like a charm. Just finished a big batch of 9mm today. 😉

• Like 3

I still have a Rockchucker and use it occasionally, but if you shoot in much volume you will want a progressive press like the Dillon 500 series, which is what I most often use.  It will cover almost all handguns and the most common medium length rifle cases (mine won't do .45-70, for instance).  I agree with Grayfox 54 that looking for used equipment is a good idea -- I've seen some remarkable deals.  

Good luck,

Whisper

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Sorry to say, but right now is not a good time to start reloading. While the ammo shortage is starting to lighten up, there is still a shortage of reloading components. Especially powder and primers. What little can be found is too expensive for any real savings. You may need to give it a bit more time before taking the plunge. 

OTOH, now would be a good time to shop for used equipment as some folks are getting out of reloading due to the lack of components. Others bought gear, but never got off the ground. 

Having said that, I've been reloading on an old RCBS Rockchucker single stage press for about 40 years now. It may be slow, but it still works like a charm. Just finished a big batch of 9mm today. 😉

Used equipment is a good idea, I'm not getting into it trying to save money right away, I mean I wouldn't turn down the savings when they come later on but that's not my desire to start so not going to stop me from getting started.

I don't know why but I can't get into the idea of the single stage press, maybe if I was in front of one I'd change my mind, but with what I've seen online it's not something I'd be interested in.

48 minutes ago, Steve M. said:

I don't know why but I can't get into the idea of the single stage press

I use my single stage press far more than my progressive. I like being in full control of every step, and I enjoy reloading for its own sake. If I want to load a lot of handgun ammo I'll go to the progressive, but for 100 rounds or so the single stage is fine. For rifle ammo I always use single stage.

On 9/1/2022 at 10:02 AM, Darrell said:

I use my single stage press far more than my progressive. I like being in full control of every step, and I enjoy reloading for its own sake. If I want to load a lot of handgun ammo I'll go to the progressive, but for 100 rounds or so the single stage is fine. For rifle ammo I always use single stage.

So I just watched about 4 hours of videos on the two types (with this long sucker being one of my favorites: 

) and after all that I decided to go with single stage which I never thought I'd do but it doesn't look near as bad as I thought and pretty fun. 

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, Steve M. said:

I decided to go with single stage which I never thought I'd do but it doesn't look near as bad as I thought and pretty fun. 

You chose wisely. Reloading is not hard at all but it does require some attention to detail, like ensuring the powder charge remains constant along with bullet seating depth and crimping.  Often the equipment needs to be tweaked during a session.

It’s best to learn on a single stage rather than a progressive starting out.

• Like 6

I agree on starting with the single stage. I started with a Lee single stage because I wasn't sure that I would stick with it. Still have that first press after 15 years, still love it.

Take your time, measure everything, to be sure. You will never regret it.

• 3 months later...