Memphis woman abducted

Kinda hits home because I run in the early AM too, often in the dark.  There are much worse neighborhoods than Central@Zach Curlin, but anything can happen anywhere any time.  I bet she had headphones, was often oblivious to her surroundings, and thought "I've never had any trouble."  I hope she is alive.  

https://www.actionnews5.com/2022/09/02/woman-missing-reportedly-kidnapped/

• Sad 1

I’ve been following this all day.  Even though I haven’t lived in Memphis for 30 years she apparently lives only a couple of blocks from where I grew up.  Know the area well as that around UM where the abduction occurred.  Many have always considered both areas somewhat safe.  Not anymore.

29 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’ve been following this all day.  Even though I haven’t lived in Memphis for 30 years she apparently lives only a couple of blocks from where I grew up.  Know the area well as that around UM where the abduction occurred.  Many have always considered both areas somewhat safe.  Not anymore.

You and I spoke about this area before because it's where my wife and I stayed when we visited Memphis a few years ago. I saw this story on the news earlier and told her a woman was taken from the same road we walked down. I felt safe staying there. 

I've told my wife many times that if someone tries to force you into a vehicle, fight like your life depends on it. I hope this woman is found safe. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I've told my wife many times that if someone tries to force you into a vehicle, fight like your life depends on it. I hope this woman is found safe. 

My wife and I had this same conversation/reminder this morning and that was before we heard about this abduction.  Two days ago, another woman and her kid were kidnapped at Target on Hwy 64 and forced to withdraw money from a nearby bank.  They are lucky to be alive.  There is no such thing as a safe area.  

• Like 1

It boils down to situational awareness. It may not stop a crime, but it may keep you from being the victim. 

I was sitting in my truck yesterday while my wife grabbed a pick up order. Two young dudes where walking all over the parking lot. They eventually came and stood in front of my truck talking. At that time I held my P365 in my lap and made eye contact with them. They walked off, but they were still walking all over the parking lot when we left. Typical of my wife, see didn’t see the big deal.  

• Like 7
3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Two days ago, another woman and her kid were kidnapped at Target on Hwy 64 and forced to withdraw money from a nearby bank.  They are lucky to be alive.  There is no such thing as a safe area.  

Yep, that's right in my stompin' grounds. Wolf Creek shopping center at Stage (Hwy 64) and Germantown Rd.  Its right across the street from Wolfchase Mall. Its a heavily traveled, major intersection. I've been to that shopping center many times. Most people, including me, consider it a very safe area. I guess its not. But that's why I'm always armed any time I leave the house. Ya never know these days. 

Kind of an odd place there. The South side of Hwy 64 is Memphis. That's where this Target store is. The North side of 64 is Bartlett. Police response time on the Memphis side is 30 min to an hour. Response time on the Bartlett side is 5-10 minutes max. The BGs know this and usually stay on the south side. 

• Like 1

Praying for her safe return and for her family! 

You just can't be too cautious anymore!!! Always be aware of your surroundings and women and children shouldn't be alone if they can help it.  Such is the state of our country.  Things are just getting worse and worse. 😑  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

If what is being posted on social media is to be believed this situation is starting to sound like the plot of a movie on the Lifetime channel including a massive inheritance, drug addiction, and the nanny.

We know the part about being an heiress is true at least. Who knows about the rest. If she's that rich but decided to still work as a teacher that says a lot.  If she was taken for ransom that's better than the motive I originally imagined. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I don't do FB . What's all this about? I've heard nothing of it on the news. 

I do hope she's found alive and well. 

I know nothing about drug addiction or nannies in regard to this case, but she is the granddaughter of the man that founded Orgill Inc., a Memphis based hardware company and stands to inherit a very large amount of money.

Local media and social media are fueling rumors, speculation, conspiracy theories, etc.  One local news report even said the husband was spotted in front of his house yesterday!!  So were half the husbands in America.  So she was loaded or was going to be, so what.  I wouldn't be surprised if, when the facts are out, two thugs with records were riding around at zero dark thirty up to no good when they saw a woman in a sports bra alone and took advantage of an opportunity.  

Edited by deerslayer
2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Local media and social media are fueling rumors, speculation, conspiracy theories, etc.  One local news report even said the husband was spotted in front of his house yesterday!!  So were half the husbands in America.  So she was loaded or was going to be, so what.  I wouldn't be surprised if, when the facts are out, two thugs with records were riding around at zero dark thirty up to no good when they saw a woman in a sports bra alone and took advantage of an opportunity.  

Looks like you are correct unfortunately. They have a mountain of evidence against this guy. During the course of the abduction he left his Champion brand slides on the ground. They pulled DNA off those and got a match for him. I assume he was already in the database for previous crimes. The abduction was captured on video too. It's looking like they are searching for her body at this point sadly. 🙁

https://www.newsnationnow.com/missing/eliza-fletcher-missing-memphis-jogger/

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Looks like you are correct unfortunately. They have a mountain of evidence against this guy. During the course of the abduction he left his Champion brand slides on the ground. They pulled DNA off those and got a match for him. I assume he was already in the database for previous crimes. The abduction was captured on video too. It's looking like they are searching for her body at this point sadly. 🙁

https://www.newsnationnow.com/missing/eliza-fletcher-missing-memphis-jogger/

He was convicted of an aggravated kidnapping in 2001 and spent nearly 20 years in jail for it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Imaaaaaaaaagine that.  The a-hole could at least tell the police where the body is.  

No body makes the murder charge a hell of a lot harder. The body location will sure as hell work as a great bargaining chip to avoid death row. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

To reiterate what @Erik88said:

This case is another reminder to do everything you can to impress upon the women in your lives that if somebody attempts to force them into a vehicle or take them to another location they need to fight like their very lives depend upon it right then and there.

Because they do.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 5
37 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This case is another reminder to do everything you can to impress upon the women in your lives that if somebody attempts to force them into a vehicle or take them to another location they need to fight like their very lives depend upon it right then and there.

Because they do.

She was five miles or so from her house.  If she had already clocked five miles, she was probably in no shape to put up much of a fight.  Since I run some (although not at Fletcher's level), I've thought about this quite a bit and never run without a weapon.  Or two.  If I get jumped at mile 4 of 5, I will be less willing/able to knuckle with an attacker.  I don't look like Psycho Sid, but I probably present a more challenging target than Fletcher did and I still go armed.  My wife's friend said she would never carry a weapon while running and acted like the idea was ridiculous.  I just don't get the head-in-the-sand mentality.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Because they do.

I had this talk with my Wife years ago about this. I asked her to please fight back. She looked at me like I was an idiot and told me if they were going to kill her, they'd have to do it on the spot. I only asked that she have an empty mag when it was over. 

I need to have this talk with my Daughter. She once asked me if monsters existed. I told her they did, but they don't look like they do in the movies. She asked me what they looked like and my Wife told her "They look like your Father, your teacher, or your neighbors".

It's very important that you don't look like a victim.

• Like 7