What to see near Norris Dam?

gregintenn

I know some of you live up that way, so I’m asking as I’ve never been there, and thinking of a trip. Tell me what I should check out while I’m there. If you ever find yourself in northern middle Tennessee, I’ll try and return the favor. Thanks in advance.

• Admin Team

If you can get out on the lake, you should.  It’s a gorgeous lake with scenery unlike much of the rest of the state.

The Clinch River right below there is a world class trout stream.  Even if you’re not a fly fisherman, a light spinning rig with some rooster tails is a lot of fun.

The old downtown strip in Clinton is worth an hour or two.  They’ve managed to take what by all accounts should be a depressed small town and revitalized it with a critical mass of antique stores and shops.  It’s not generally my thing - but I almost always leave with something when I get pulled down there after family gatherings. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

If you can get out on the lake, you should.  It’s a gorgeous lake with scenery unlike much of the rest of the state.

The Clinch River right below there is a world class trout stream.  Even if you’re not a fly fisherman, a light spinning rig with some rooster tails is a lot of fun.

The old downtown strip in Clinton is worth an hour or two.  They’ve managed to take what by all accounts should be a depressed small town and revitalized it with a critical mass of antique stores and shops.  It’s not generally my thing - but I almost always leave with something when I get pulled down there after family gatherings. 

We’ll take the boat fer sure. I was just curious about other things to see and do in that area. I don’t think I’ve been in that area before.

4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

A tour of The Manhattan Project National Historic Park is worth it if you’ve never done it:

https://amse.org/bus-tours/

Never have.

LOL! My wife booked is “historic CCC cabin” in the park. Her grandmother had a nicer smokehouse. Impossible to park the truck/boat here too. This shall be an adventure!😁

Weather’s great and the lake looks pretty. I may run back home and swap my truck and boat out for the motorcycle.

17 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Paging @Erik88. This should be in your line of expertise.

Well! I forgot how to tag someone.

I think they covered everything I would suggest. It's a beautiful area and the lake is huge. You'd need a few days to see the whole thing. I have a scar on my head I got at Norris Dam as a baby. 🙂 

If you end up on your boat, there should be a few restaurants on the water to eat at unless it's in the off season. 

• Like 1
On 9/12/2022 at 4:52 PM, Erik88 said:

I think they covered everything I would suggest. It's a beautiful area and the lake is huge. You'd need a few days to see the whole thing. I have a scar on my head I got at Norris Dam as a baby. 🙂 

If you end up on your boat, there should be a few restaurants on the water to eat at unless it's in the off season. 

Many thanks! I knew you’d be the guy if there was anything interesting to sniff out. I bet most of the marina restaurants are closed now, at least through the week.

Actually, this little cabin is starting to grow on me. The parking situation still sucks, but we’ll make it work.

Edited by gregintenn

Do a tour at Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary. Its about 15 minutes from my place and is worth doing a tour. Then drive across 116 ala the devils triangle. You can go in to the highway at the prison and follow it all the way through, across Petros and Pilot mountains into lake city then go up 441 to the dam. If your interested in that drive let me know and I can PM you good driving instructions since navigation doesnt work to great down in the valley

• Like 2
On 9/11/2022 at 2:25 PM, MacGyver said:

Antique stores in old small towns seems to be a trend now. I worked in Clinton back in 89 on a construction job.We fished the Clinch River a few times.

• Like 1
On 9/12/2022 at 9:02 AM, peejman said:

Not super close by, but the Brushy Mtn state pen is around there. The tour is fascinating. 

Just to talk with the ex resident who works there was more than worth the price of admission. That’s an eerily beautiful place for sure.

George Wyatt Jr.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Just to talk with the ex resident who works there was more than worth the price of admission. That’s an eerily beautiful place for sure.

George Wyatt Jr.

He used 16 sticks of dynamite and two gallons of gas to try to blow a safe!   😂🤪😂🤪

Kinda reminds me of Jimmy Ferris from Texas and his story but I don’t think anyone went to jail for that.  😆

• Like 1