Help me choose a backpack (US made)

So I’ve been kicking around the idea of buying a nicer backpack and have always assumed that brands like Vertx, Maxpedition, etc. we’re made in the US. Apparently that’s not true so I’m hoping to get some recommendations. I don’t 100% HAVE to have a U.S. made bag but would like to if possible. Here’s the usage:

•Would be used for EDC when I go into the office. 15” laptop, keyboard, mouse, chargers etc. 

•Would also like to be able to load it with medical, flashlight, toiletries, just stuff you’d like to have when out and about or rucking. I don’t care to have ruck pouches for weights. Just want actual weight of items. 

• I could stomach somewhat of a tactical look but don’t want to be as discreet as possible.

•Waist strap option would be nice. 

•Durable

•I don’t have enough experience to know what size I’d want so I’d guess a middle of the road size  

If you’ve had good luck with a certain bag, I’d appreciate the heads up. Thanks!

It's become very difficult to find US made items like this. 

My Vertx bag checks most of your boxes though. It doesn't look tactical. I used it to fly to Spain and back and I also use it to haul my laptop when I go into the office. I don't think anyone notices it. I used the coupon code that Last Line of Defense has for this brand. I think it got me 20% off. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

It's become very difficult to find US made items like this. 

My Vertx bag checks most of your boxes though. It doesn't look tactical. I used it to fly to Spain and back and I also use it to haul my laptop when I go into the office. I don't think anyone notices it. I used the coupon code that Last Line of Defense has for this brand. I think it got me 20% off. 

Which Vertx did you get?

I was looking at the Gammut 2.0. 

I actually rolled the dice on a Vanquest Addax 25. I couldn’t really find the anything US made. All just designed in the US. It fits more into the EDC / Gray man kind of role and not so much the hiking / rucking role. After looking around this morning it seems like I should probably just get a separate bag for that role and not compromise on both fronts. 

5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

That's the one I ordered. 

Ha I actually found a good deal on Amazon for the green Gamut 2.0 and cancelled the other order. Seems like the Gamut has more features overall than the Vanquest. A little more tactical looking but my guess is that no one really looks at my stuff. I give people too much credit for being aware. 

3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I would have recommended a goruck. it would’ve met all your criteria, but you would’ve paid for it.

https://www.goruck.com/products/gr1

Yeah it was in the list but I’m just not ready to commit that much on my first bag. I want to make sure this sticks then I may pony up. The GR1 looks like a really nice bag. 

• Like 1

So thanks to another awesome member that saw my post, I now have a gently loved goruck GR0 with a few add-ons on the way.

While I was excited about the Vertx, I think I’m going to be much happier with this one. Overall build quality just seems to be next level compared to the Vertx I handled in person. I’ll likely never wear either of them out but that no BS GoRuck warranty is pretty awesome. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...