Small SUVs?

Grayfox54

So I'm thinking it may be time to trade for a newer used car that's much cheaper on gas that my old Mercury Grand Marquis land yacht. 🙄
Leaning heavily toward a small SUV as I want something that sits and more or less feels like the pick-up I'm used to. I'm getting old and can't get comfortable in low slug sedan seats any more. 
I'm currently leaning towards the Ford Escape. I've been a Ford man for many years. DIL has one and likes it. However, research has shown that certain years of these were troublesome. 
I'm open to suggestions. Want something that's comfortable, trouble free and gets good gas mileage.
NOTE: I DO NOT do Chevy, Nissan or any type of Chrysler (Jeep) vehicles. So just leave those out. 
generally looking for something from the mid-2010s or later. Whatcha got? 

For several years, the continuously variable transmissions were reported to be troublesome. I understand they are more reliable in the new models, but you’d need to research that further. 

As far as brands, I know a lady who has a Ford Escape and loves it. I’d expect hem to be mostly reliable, and pretty much anything Toyota or Honda makes. My mother drives a CRV. It’s the second one she’s owned. If she buys another, I expect it’ll also be a Honda CRV.

I’d certainly agree with you on avoiding Chrysler products. Everybody I know has had good luck with GM and Nissan vehicles. Honda is r Toyota are our preferred brands.

Edited by gregintenn

We bought our RAV4 new in 2012. It now has 140,000 miles and the only repair I've done was a $30 upper radiator hose. Other than that I've only done routine maintenance. It gets 28-29 MPG highway. The newer RAV4s get even better MPG. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

You saw my mother’s 2014 Ford Escape.  I bought that car new for her in 2013 and it’s got 135k on it.  We have replaced nothing other than oil, brakes and tires.  It’s been a solid and reliable vehicle.  Although it’s due for a few service items and some of those are from collisions that the car has suffered through.  

I do know of one issue with this generation of escape and it’s the shifter bushing.  There is a recall or TSB out for it right now but updated parts aren’t yet available.  

• Like 1

As an owner of a 2015 Escape. DON'T BUY THE NEW GEN ESCAPES THEY ARE TERRIBLE. Here's my reasons why: The car's computer system for diagnostics and the system for audio are combined. The system likes to bug out regularly, i.e. phone won't transfer audio signal, the controls to control the HUD on the dash will quit working altogether, or some buttons function in reverse. Ford does not offer an update for the system outside of a total replacement with an estimated cost of (just parts mind you) $450. On top of that the transmission is a nightmare an incapable of service or routine maintenance as it is a completely sealed system. There is not a dipstick valve, nor a valve to add more transmission fluid. Past 175k miles they're known, just as mine is currently, for having A/C problems. I've had all manner of mechanics inspect every part of my vehicle to figure out the cause, including Ford, no one can make heads or tails of it, but have said it's a common thing they've noticed in my model. To explain the issues with the A/C: it's great in temperatures below 93°. Past that, if you're idle for more than 5 minutes the compressor begins to stall and almost causes the engine to shut off. I've been dealing with this for going on 2 years now. Wife and I have had the vehicle since 2018, purchased "like new" with less 5k miles. Just to give you my experiences.

Outside what folks have already listed, I would say consider a Mazda CX series. Their interiors tend for same price point tend to be nicer and have more tech.

Will say considering what you're coming from, those things are worlds apart meant for different demographics. I'd bet sitting in and driving a CRV would immediately tell you quite a bit.  Was for me when I we were buying something for the wife. Talked her into a Passport and she was very happy about it, no looking back. There is a magnitude of different in a relatively small amount moving up a size but out of land yacht territory. Much larger cabin, better ride comfort, features, and no romper room interior.

I would say mid size SUV is your sweet spot. Rides like an adults car without the low end price point concessions. If price is your primary criterion, than none of that probably matters. Take what you can get that is in decent shape

4 minutes ago, scatman said:

As an owner of a 2015 Escape. DON'T BUY THE NEW GEN ESCAPES THEY ARE TERRIBLE. Here's my reasons why: The car's computer system for diagnostics and the system for audio are combined. The system likes to bug out regularly, i.e. phone won't transfer audio signal, the controls to control the HUD on the dash will quit working altogether, or some buttons function in reverse. Ford does not offer an update for the system outside of a total replacement with an estimated cost of (just parts mind you) $450. On top of that the transmission is a nightmare an incapable of service or routine maintenance as it is a completely sealed system. There is not a dipstick valve, nor a valve to add more transmission fluid. Past 175k miles they're known, just as mine is currently, for having A/C problems. I've had all manner of mechanics inspect every part of my vehicle to figure out the cause, including Ford, no one can make heads or tails of it, but have said it's a common thing they've noticed in my model. To explain the issues with the A/C: it's great in temperatures below 93°. Past that, if you're idle for more than 5 minutes the compressor begins to stall and almost causes the engine to shut off. I've been dealing with this for going on 2 years now. Wife and I have had the vehicle since 2018, purchased "like new" with less 5k miles. Just to give you my experiences.

That’s the refresh model?   

I’ll say this about the first half with audio controls.  You’ll run into that with almost all new featured models.  Everything is canbus this days so shared systems with modules.  
my Escape is an S (base model) so it has the most basic of everything.   The way cars are supposed to be.   New cars suck!!!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

That’s the refresh model?   

I’ll say this about the first half with audio controls.  You’ll run into that with almost all new featured models.  Everything is canbus this days so shared systems with modules.  
my Escape is an S (base model) so it has the most basic of everything.   The way cars are supposed to be.   New cars suck!!!

If by "refresh" you mean where they changed from the jeep liberty body style, yes. They did not do a decent job with these at all, we also have a Cmax, it's great, and then in-laws have a 2022 F150 King Ranch edition, again, great vehicle, as well as their Ford Explorer. My dad now currently owns my 2017 Dodge Durango, great model. None of those have had the audio system issues, and it's not just the audio that it causes problems, I can't change through my HUD menu on my dash when it starts glitching out. 

Just now, scatman said:

If by "refresh" you mean where they changed from the jeep liberty body style, yes. They did not do a decent job with these at all, we also have a Cmax, it's great, and then in-laws have a 2022 F150 King Ranch edition, again, great vehicle, as well as their Ford Explorer. My dad now currently owns my 2017 Dodge Durango, great model. None of those have had the audio system issues, and it's not just the audio that it causes problems, I can't change through my HUD menu on my dash when it starts glitching out. 

I wish they would have put the c-max hatch on the escapes.  

10 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I wish they would have put the c-max hatch on the escapes.  

You and I both, but they made space sacrifices in both models, with the Cmax you get comfortable seating for 4-5 with little trunk space. The escape they pushed the backseat forward 4 inches it feels like to give more trunk space. I say this because I, a 6'4" male, can't sit in the backseat behind my wife, 5'10", comfortably. My knees are pressed into the back of the seat forward of me. If I'm driving, and I sit closer than most my height to the wheel, a rear facing car seat is flush to the back of my seat.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Erich said:

Outside what folks have already listed, I would say consider a Mazda CX series. Their interiors tend for same price point tend to be nicer and have more tech

If you look at the Mazda CX-5, I suggest you look at 2017 and newer. The seats in the 2013-2016 are hard as rocks on an iron plate. I have a 2015 and any trip longer than an hour starts to hurt. 2017 saw a big refresh. It's the same underneath, but new body panels and new interior designs. The driving dynamics on most Mazda models hands down beat the like-for-like competition.

I had a new Honda CR-V a few weeks ago as a rental. It rides smoother and the seats are way more comfortable than my CX-5, but it was as boring to drive as just about any Honda out there. Honda has just about perfected the comfortable functional reliable transportation but man do they have no soul.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tacops said:

Can't speak from personal experience, but I have several friends that have had Kia Sorentos and are very pleased with them. 

Wife has an 18 Sorrento, V6 AWD. 

Nice vehicle, no issues, 24-25 city 28-29 highway.

Not sure if the 4cyl is robust enough for this size vehicle.

My son has a Optima with 115k, no issues.

Sportage perhaps?

I just clicked 100k of ownership (bought at 85k) on my 2012 MB GLK350... reliable but you gotta pay to play. 

This is nothing more than another which gun is best question.   The ones each respondent has had is the best or worst for whatever reason.  

Go drive all of them with no preconceived notion and decide for yourself what fits you best.   Drive them all before buying anything even if you fall in love with one. 

• Like 3

So far the Ford Escape, Toyota Rav4 and the Honda CRX are in the lead. However, I have found that certain years of the Escape had issues. Most notably the 2017 model. Wouldn't you know it, all the local dealers seem to have are the 2017 or newer that are out of my budget.  🙄

Went cruising through all the local dealerships today. Nothing of interest there. Gonna have to spread out into the depths of Memphis and see what I can find. Oh well, no hurry. Its not like I need something right now. I'll just keep my eyes open and sooner or later the right vehicle and deal will come along. 😉

My wife drives a Toyota Highlander. It’s been trouble free for years with regular maintenance. Every time we take it in for service at Wolfchase Toyota they offer to buy it. She’s a line dancing road warrior, so her vehicle has to be reliable. Good luck with your search. 

20 hours ago, scatman said:

One of the best cars I ever owned was a 2011 Ford Escape I bought used around 2013.  Only think I did to that car was oil changes until my wife got hit and hit/totaled by a hit & run driver in 2018.  I replaced it with a 2018 Kia Sportage EX thst I bought new that has served her well so far.  But I think it seems smaller than the Escape.  I drive a 2017 Kia Sorento SXL that I got from CarMax in about 2019.  Buying from them, I got an almost new fully loaded car for less than half the new price!  So far, knock on wood, it’s been wonderful.  Have had a couple batteries go bad, but that’s all other than oil and filter changes.  Mine has the 6 cy.  The newer ones  have a 4 cy, that I’ve heard bad things about.   I recently drove a rental 2022 Kia Sorento SX Prestige X-line, which I’m told is the newer cars trim level equal to my trim level in my year.  It had a 4 cy. My work paid gif me a rental for a work trip to Louisville and I just happened to get that.  The 4 cy seemed to be fine gif me.  The electronic bling on the car was more modern of course and I liked that, but one thing is did was turn off st red lights then start back up when I released the brake. Not sure what that’s called but I didn’t like it, plus it seems to me that it wouldn’t be good fir the car either, but I dunno.  All this to say I like my Kia’s, lol.  

On 9/17/2022 at 9:03 AM, deerslayer said:

"Boring" and "reliable" beats the socks off "soul" and "tech" every time.  I would look at used Hondas or Toyotas.  

That's a matter of opinion and depends on both your personality and your automotive needs. I'd never call a '63 Split-Window Corvette "boring" or "reliable", but I'd take one every day of the week and twice on Sundays and gladly deal with the maintenance, unless I had to haul 5 kids around. Then I'd get a Honda Odyssey . . . . but still put a turbo on it. 🙂

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

So far the Ford Escape, Toyota Rav4 and the Honda CRX are in the lead. However, I have found that certain years of the Escape had issues. Most notably the 2017 model. Wouldn't you know it, all the local dealers seem to have are the 2017 or newer that are out of my budget.  🙄

Went cruising through all the local dealerships today. Nothing of interest there. Gonna have to spread out into the depths of Memphis and see what I can find. Oh well, no hurry. Its not like I need something right now. I'll just keep my eyes open and sooner or later the right vehicle and deal will come along. 😉

Since you aren’t in a hurry, you can find a much better deal on a nice, low mileage vehicle. Watch local sales sites such as Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, and whatever other local selling sites your area offers. You’ll get a much better deal if you steer clear of  dealerships and buy from an individual. The more you look, the better a feel you’ll have for pricing, and you’ll know a good deal when you spot one. The thing is, though, you have to jump on it immediately when you find a deal. Many others are looking too!

Some of my best vehicle deals have actually been found right here on TGO.

Edited by gregintenn
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

That's a matter of opinion and depends on both your personality and your automotive needs. I'd never call a '63 Split-Window Corvette "boring" or "reliable", but I'd take one every day of the week and twice on Sundays and gladly deal with the maintenance, unless I had to haul 5 kids around. Then I'd get a Honda Odyssey . . . . but still put a turbo on it. 🙂

I think a 63 split window is a bad example.  That’s a collectors car that is a true investment.   But I totally get what you are saying.  It just depends on what the vehicle is for.   To the original post, I think deerslayer’s post holds water.  For an enthusiast, not so much.  

39 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

I think a 63 split window is a bad example.  That’s a collectors car that is a true investment.   But I totally get what you are saying.  It just depends on what the vehicle is for.   To the original post, I think deerslayer’s post holds water.  For an enthusiast, not so much.  

Exactly.  The OP seemed to be referring to a general use daily driver, not a collector.