Extremely long range shot record broken

Ronald_55

After several hours of number crunching and aim adjusting later, their 69th shot hit the bullseye. Austin and Humphries say that while their hit is not scientifically consistently repeatable, this makes it extra coincidental that the previous 4-mile record set by Paul Phillips also landed on the 69th shot.

I've always thought doing long range shots like this was maybe zeroing a rifle, then maybe doing a few calculations and a shot or two to make the hit, but that many?  

15 minutes ago, Omega said:

I've always thought doing long range shots like this was maybe zeroing a rifle, then maybe doing a few calculations and a shot or two to make the hit, but that many?  

I think stuff like this is incredible. For a "normal" long distance shot I think the procedure you described is realastic. But when you factor in things like the below quote, your pretty much lobbing indirect fire into a target. 

"Scott made the wind and elevation call of 1,092 MOA up and 17 MOA left. "

"Winds that morning were sometimes variable with an average of 8mph, changing from full value at 7am to a tailwind just before noon, making calculations for the shot a real challenge; for every mile-per-hour of wind, they had to aim almost 26 feet further to the left of the target. "

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

If it takes 69 shots to hit the bulls eye there seems to be more than a little bit of random luck involved.

I have to agree. Little less impressed than I would be say, 5 rounds or less. I mean, give me a M2, a spotter and enough ammo and I know I could walk/lob it in.

Well the previous record that was broken was also achieved on the 69th attempt so it is in line with the accepted norm at those distances/records I guess. 

LRI Barrel, Cadex chassis, McMillian action, Timney trigger and a Vortex Razor. Rifle chambered in .416 Barrett. Just a simple low buck ELR build 🙂
How about that 350 MOA mount/rail though? That thing looks crazy. 

Damn, tough crowd! lol

Luck is maybe a strong word that understates the work to just get it in the zip code 4.4 miles down range. I’d say it’s more fair to say you need the breaks in your favor after you hit the trigger for your wind call parameters to still be valid over such a long flight time. Seeing the dispersion of the 69 shots would probably be meaningful. 

Looking at the scope base and barrel relative, here is a thought….

What was the altitude of the bullet at apogee? With an incoming angle of 48 degrees, just over 3 miles relative to shooter?? 

Hows that factor against ground level winds versus whatever is going on at altitude, birds, thermals? 

I would like to know more about the prism device to see around the end of the barrel. If you drew a line through the scope it intersects the end of the barrel. Without the prism device you could never see the target. I say good shoot at that distance, I too would like to know the altitude at the highest of the arc.

• 2 weeks later...