Sentiment guns and letting them go.

Alleycat72

I've got a gun that has been by my side for years. No telling how many critters I've taken with this gun. At least 200 hogs.  I'm really thinking of upgrading. I've never been sentimental about a gun. Studebaker yes......, but never a gun. It'll just sit in the safe until I die 80 ot 90 years from now.  You guys ever get a little weird about letting stuff like that go?

• Like 3

I have two Satin Nickel S&W Model 38 Airweight Bodyguard revolvers that I bought new about 30 years ago. I don't carry either one and they just sit in the safe. Probably will never use either one and could have gotten $750 for one of them last year and did not sell. I will probably have them until I die. 

In 2012 I decided that I wanted a fixed stock AR-15 with an A-2 fixed carry handle. I wanted a short barrel like the carbine but do not like the short hand guards on the carbine. I called Rock River Arms and they said they could fix me an A-2  Fixed stock with a 16 bbl and mid length gas system so it would have the longer handguards with the 16 inch barrel and look more like a rifle than a carbine. I had them build me two. They are both still unfired.

Edited by Eray

I was in the very same boat 2 years ago....hospital "visit" for over 2 months made me realize that they are just things. I had to sell 1/2 of my collection, including my Israeli FAL. It hurt but bills were paid and I'm slowly recollecting. Most of what i sold had doubled in price value but letting them go stung. Wood and steel guys, wood and steel......

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

As long as the value of my guns is going up and the value of the dollar is going down, I can’t see a good reason to trade them for dollars.

My thoughts exactly. I had a PSA AR-15 and a PSA AK-47 listed on the forum here. Then I checked and the bank is paying me a whole .51 percent interest on my savings. I can not help but believe with inflation the guns will go up much more than .51 percent. So I closed the ads and am going to buy another safe rather than sell my extra guns. 

• Like 2

I have pondered this subject many times, and have decided I am not going to worry about.  Each of mine have a story, some stories are short, but some are long stories.  Some came by happenstance, some by long collecting journeys, some by stupidity, some by luck, and some by inheritance.  I have the first 410 my dad got me for Christmas some 50 years ago, its wiped out a many squirrel.  Even my oldest son bagged his first squirrel with that same 410.  I have some of my father's favorite rifles, his dad's double barrel from the early 1900s, my first hand gun, some centric collections, some odd ones, and some because I watched some stupid movie or western.  Maybe the kid in me still enjoys them, Im too old to buy matchbox or hotwheels anymore, but guns are something else, maybe its my connection to my dad.  I just cannot think of reason to get rid of any of them.  I do have nightmares after my passing that my wife will sell each of them for pennies on the dollars, and think good riddance to those things in that sat in the safe all those years.  She still thinks that I only need one, I told her I have enough for me and our sons!  Wow will she be shocked or wonder who she married.  

Edited by runco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

image.thumb.jpg.d506be18a8f31d3c8c741b0da21f139b.jpgI know the 80% stuff and poly 80 are a hot topic but… I recently completed a compact version of the p80 and wow I am in love. Maybe more than I have been with any gun before. Maybe it’s in the construction of it. Maybe it’s that I placed each component for a specific reason. I believe I finally have that one that will never leave home. It’s me and it’s mine. It’s even perfect. 
mostly I consider myself just a steward of specific guns. Can’t take them with me. But the new build will definitely go with me!

Edited by JohnSutton1980
18 hours ago, gregintenn said:

As long as the value of my guns is going up and the value of the dollar is going down, I can’t see a good reason to trade them for dollars.

Unless you take those dollars and gamble them in the stock market on a day like today. Guns are a good hedge in an overall portfolio but planning (hoping) for an eventual end to this idiocracy is prudent as well.

Have a few guns in my "collection", a 1930s single shot 22 my Dad had as a boy for example or a prized to me 1950s pre model 10 revolver etc, etc... Sentimental Guns that sit. Too many.

My offspring have no interest. I have to face the fact that they sit and sit and one day (maybe soon) I'll eliminate all but a few practical guns.

I could buy a few nice toys or take a nice trip or two with the proceeds before I get too feeble lol. Or.....trade them for other guns??

• Like 1

I have some that I don't ever see myself parting with.  The .22 rifle that my dad gave me for my 15th birthday and the Ruger standard that belonged to my grandfather are at the top of that list.  I also have several guns that belonged to my wife's father and grandfather, though they don't have any sentimental value to me, I'll let my son make the call on those one day.  Then I have the guns that I just always wanted, like a nice 1911. I could sell it today and buy another one tomorrow just like it, but as long as I don't need the money nothing is going anywhere.

• Like 2

I dont really have any sentimental guns.  My dad wasnt into them and my uncles got all my grandfathers stuff.  That being said, I recently got one that would fall into this category.

Ive had a troubled history with Kimber. Ive had 2.  First was a TLE Custom II that had all kinds of issues.  The second was a Tactical Entry II that I couldnt keep rust off no matter what I did. So I make fun of them quite a bit.

An Army buddy of mine passed away a few months back and the lawyer for the estate had called me and needed FFL info because Matt left me a gun and it needed to be transferred. It was a Kimber TLE/RL II.

It probably wont go anywhere. I doubt I shoot it much and I hate keeping guns around that I dont shoot. But this one being what it is, it will probably have a permenant spot in the safe. 

• Like 2

I rarely sell guns to begin with. When I do its because it just didn't work out for me.  I have a bunch that I just don't want to sell. But they hold no sentimental value to me. 

The only gun I'm truly sentimental about  is my fathers old Remington 11-48 12 gauge. He took many quail with that gun and I grew up shooting it. My oldest will decide what to do with it. 😉

• Like 1

The only sentimental gun I have is my grandfather’s 410 dbl barrel that will go to my daughter.That being said she’s not really into guns but she will go shooting with me once in a blue moon and she loves shooting an old model Ruger Super Bearcat that I picked up at a pawn shop.She wouldn’t have clue how to load a NM Ruger because she’s never shot one.For that very reason and because I want one too I’m going to get a Colt SAA for my 60’th Birthday in 2024.I will leave her those 3 guns.The rest will be sold or traded like every other gun I’ve owned.

I am 74 now and I have started giving my gun collection away to my grandkids. It was hard for me to give my father's guns away, but I chose one who I believe will cherish it as much as I do. I gave them to girls and boys alike. Did it so they will go to who I want to have them. Still keeping some for personal use.