Cap Jams on a Colt Walker?

Got my first Walker and had a great time shooting it. I have Slix Shot cones on it and the first cap jam locked up the cylinder bolt. I had to take it apart...good thing I am a quick learner. Several times after that I had caps stick behind the cylinder edge. I switched back to the factory cones and actually had better luck . But toward the end, I shot a bunch, I started having misfires. I finally finished the last cylinder and when I went to clean it, there were at least two or more caps stuck on the frame in the hammer channel....which is why on that last cylinder I had to hit some caps two or three times to get them to fire...I thought it was just getting dirty. I have not seen this on my 1860, 1858 or 1851 style guns, nor have I read of it either. I am just hoping some Walker addict has seen this before. 

Edited by glockster157
Mispelling
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never fired a Walker, but on other C&B revolvers I've used it helps to get in the habit of raising the gun to about 45 degrees and turning it on its side before cocking the hammer.  Doesn't work for every shot, but it should help.  Since you're familiar with other percussion revolvers, it may be something in the Walker design that makes it more prone to cap jams.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.