Concealed carry for runners

jgradyc

Recently, a young woman runner in Memphis was kidnapped and murdered. There was a discussion about concealed carry on a running forum I'm on and someone posted a link to concealed carry holsters. I checked them out. Frankly, none of the holsters were practical for runners.  Belly bands have to be tight to prevent bouncing and thus interfere with breathing. Plus, they're hot, uncomfortable, and let sweat get on the handgun.

So... I decided to "invent" a better running holster. 

I started with a running phone belt with two small water bottles on either side. My rationale was that this belt was comfortable to run with water bottles so it should handle the weight of a micro 380 without bouncing. 

I put a soft pouch carry case (4.5x5.25") in one of the water bottle slots. This worked. The belt was secure, but the pouch flopped. 

Then, I put the belt on inside out so the belt would press the case into my hip instead of letting it flop around. That worked. Once I found the right spot for carry (2 o'clock for me personally) it was so comfortable that I was able to forget that it was there on a 50 minute run.

The case is neoprene so it keeps most of the sweat out. The belt + 1 8 oz water bottle + phone + Keltec P3AT weighs 33 ounces. Without the phone and water bottle, weight is only 17 ounces.

If anyone is interested, I'll upload some photos. It looks innocuous, like a belt with a pouch for energy gels or car keys.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run with a Glock 48 in one of these and it works well.  The gun does get a little sweaty, but it's a Glock and a paper towel makes it like new.  I never run more than five or so miles, so I don't care about water.  

https://www.undertechundercover.com/collections/belly-bands/products/the-original-belly-band-1

I would like to see some pics of your rig, though.  

Edited by deerslayer