9MM PCC; build vs. buy?

Debating whether to build a 9mm (AR-pistol style). Haven't done too much research in this space, but seen a few of you post things up that make me thing some of you will have some good insights into this.

Is there a material difference in the parts needed?

• Lower - I'm not keen on buying a dedicated 9mm lower, thinking a multi lower with a magwell conversion insert. Anyone have experience with these? Brands you recommend if so? Complaints/reservations if not?
    Glock Compatible vs. SMG Stick
  • Buffer - see 9mm buffers online for $25 (cheap enough IMO). Is it really as simple as swapping spring/buffer out between one for 223/556 vs. 9mm? Or would one work for both?
  • Upper - outside my wheel house, would be buying a completed one. Assuming many individuals run these with cans, but also assume many 9mm cans are direct thread rather than some type of QD system. Any particular cans that people found to work really well with a 8-10.5" upper?
  • Barrel - length/twist, any knowledge you can impart here. Certain combos to stay away from, or gravitate towards?

Remember another post asking about these (may be pretty old). Anyone found a local/store that sells lowers? A $50 lower from PSA sounds great until shipping and the FFL charges $60 for the transfer.

• If you bought a 3-pack of lowers, would you be charged the fee 3x? Is it per serialized item typically?

As always gentlemen, thanks in advance for the info.

The paperwork is the same for one of three, so an FFL should charge the same price either way, but ask first.

If you can find exactly what you want, I’d suggest you’d be as well off to buy one. If you are going to buy one and start swapping out parts and pieces to better suit your taste, just buy the parts and build your own. If you don’t have, or can’t borrow the necessary tools to build, you need to consider the cost of buying them as well as all the needed parts.

Most gun stores should stock lower receivers. Many will have Anderson or PSA brands. Either will be fine. You’d be less likely to find one stocking dedicated 9mm lowers, but you never know til you ask.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I've run a Stern's 9mm Glock adapter in an Anderson lower for some time. I've had many dedicated lowers and have sold them and stuck with the Stern's. I much prefer the Stern mag release to dedicated lowers. LRBHO works well.

I've also I used a Spikes adapter and Hahn adapters for Uzi and Colt mags. They work well but mags become an issue and they can be a pain to get right. Stay far away from the Promag and Sylvan adapters. They are cheap for a reason.

The Endomags are a great alternative to an adapter block. If I didn't have so many Glock mags, I would have gone that route.

https://getstern.com/products/magazine-adapters/

For the upper I've had a FM side charger and have loved it. https://fm-products.com/products/ Ballistically, at about 7.5-8" you've kinda maxed out the 9mm. Longer than that and you gain nothing.

1924116841_Stern-Anderson9mm16175892-2.thumb.jpg.64de239e864079d00c56186aafb4c4bc.jpg

Edited by Smith

On the buffer ... This is the sticky part of a dedicated 9mm AR. It's best to get the longer 9mm dedicated buffer. If not you need to add a few quarters or a spacer to the tube to prevent over travel. The over travel will cause the bolt to slam too hard and cause issues. This does a pretty good job coving it https://blowback9.wordpress.com/2021/08/09/what-9mm-buffer-do-i-need/

appreciate the feedback Smith. The Stern adapter caught my eye, definitely a "buy once cry once" adapter though. Agree the mag release is preferable, whole reason i want this is to create a cheaper alternative to 556 training. If its got an ak-style switch its not doing the trick. my 762 adventure didnt pan out on saving me ammo costs (maybe one day).

Endomag might be the better choice since i only have 2 glock pmags lying around that i actually dont have a use for anymore. believe this also solves the LRBHO issue and eliminates need for new mag holder solutions on my belt rig.

Thanks for hitting on the buffer weight (think i will plan to get a dedicated 9mm one), though my lower is a rifle lower, so may end up having to go with a rifle length upper just to avoid any SBR concerns.