Okay neighbors, I could use some touristy advice...

My SIL/BIL are coming to see us in Crossville through the week, week after next. He's got a couple of issues that preclude him walking much distance. I'm thinking Chattanooga or Nashville for a day trip and looking for non-hiking or trekking stuff to do, show them, entertain them, etc. Was thinking Chattanooga train ride, inclined train ride, riverboat tour, something like that. Any other things to do through the week? Crossville has an Oktoberfest if they had showed up on the weekend, but no... That's okay, WE'RE going whether they are still here or not. Beer and Schnitzel (and German Bluegrass??? 🤔)

5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

There’s a ton of stuff to do/see in Chattanooga, but not walking well would make a lot of it tough. You could always head toward Townsend and drive that area. It’s beautiful down around Fontana Lake.

You are right, it's been a looong time since I've been there myself. At the time (early 80's) a log home outfit out of Sevierville I worked for built the largest log lodge in that area of Tennessee. Wonder if it's still there or if I could even remember where it was?

1 minute ago, Erich said:

If that’s true, then first order of business would need to get them out to a gun range to get them right.

as participants, not targets…in case that wasn’t  clear 😉

Here's the screwy part, they OWN guns!

8 minutes ago, Gunner2k said:

Not sure if that is good or bad......lol

Well, they're Wisconsin yankees, so... And hell, ALL the family left on MY side are 🔥 liberals, so this side is damn near conservative in comparison! I rag on them, but they're okay.

2 hours ago, peejman said:

If they're car people, check out the Towing museum and Coker museum in Chattanooga. 

I saw that online, is it worth a crap? I’ll offer it up to them, we’ll see. So far in Chattanooga, I’ve got that inclined rail way, a short daytime river cruise and maybe that museum. I was all in for Townsend, but wife vetoed, so that’s that for this time. Our day to do stuff is on a Monday, the main day that everything is closed everywhere (and I don’t blame them, touristy crap workers need a day or two off, too!)

And thanks for the ideas, y’all, I appreciate it!

Edited by OMCHamlin
  • Admin Team

And if you’re in Nashville, don’t skip the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Tennessee State Museum.  Both are accessible and worth the time.

If you go to the state museum - you should definitely get lunch at the Farmer’s Market afterward. Jamaicaway would be my choice.

Most of the things I can think of in Chattanooga involve a fair bit of walking: the aquarium, Ruby Falls, Rock City, some of the various parks in the area, Chattanooga Market... Not as much touristy that doesn't include walking. You could drive into the mountains or take a ride on the Incline maybe.

Nashville's General Jackson sounds like a great idea.

6 hours ago, OMCHamlin said:

I know, my number ONE choice, but they are closed Mon-Wed...

Well, that sucks.

Maybe a visit to Chickamauga Battlefield? The visitor center and museum is awesome. Hell of a firearms collection on display. And, at least a few years ago, you could take a driving tour around the park.

If they are transportation/car/motor people and Nashville ends up being the choice you can try the Lane Motor Museum. 
https://www.lanemotormuseum.org/
They have some really off the wall and quirky stuff there that is pretty interesting. Not just a bunch of muscle cars or high dollar super cars. They have planes, boats, micro cars, amphibious cars, motorcycles, and motorized oddities from all over the world. 

• Like 1

Oh, a little bit closer to you I think would be the Ocoee River. Should be a gorgeous drive this time of year with plenty of spots to hop out and take pictures, including if you drive up Sugarloaf Mountain.

18 hours ago, OMCHamlin said:

I saw that online, is it worth a crap? I’ll offer it up to them, we’ll see. So far in Chattanooga, I’ve got that inclined rail way, a short daytime river cruise and maybe that museum. I was all in for Townsend, but wife vetoed, so that’s that for this time. Our day to do stuff is on a Monday, the main day that everything is closed everywhere (and I don’t blame them, touristy crap workers need a day or two off, too!)

And thanks for the ideas, y’all, I appreciate it!

I think they're fantastic. I could spend hours in the Coker museum.  There's several 1 of 1's in there, and they run.  

i-5xNgtHk-X2.jpg

i-67dV5Xp-X2.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, peejman said:

I think they're fantastic. I could spend hours in the Coker museum.  There's several 1 of 1's in there, and they run.  

i-5xNgtHk-X2.jpg

i-67dV5Xp-X2.jpg

Darn! Open by appointment only on Mondays! To heck with visitors and guests, the wife and I will ride down there and check it out ourselves! We ended up doing the Inclined Railway and had a nice lunch down there nearby. They had already done the Duck ride somewheres else, so that was fine, too. Thanks for the help, ya'll!