Extremely Remote, Desolate Camping Spot? W/NO YUPPIES

Have any of you guys come across a bitchin camping spot while hiking around or glassing? Spot being defined as anywhere I can put a tent & have a fire. I’m looking for a week trip with just the dogs & do not want to see a human unless they’re passing through looking for game. I do not care if it’s “legal” so long as it’s not private property unless I can get permission which I’d gladly pay for (which would be ideal). I absolutely will not keep my shepherds on a leash & keep my fire in a 24” steel ring which is all I’m finding here. I’m a self employed general contractor, it’s been an insane summer & will not have the energy to pack kit in so a fire road or some sort of 4wd truck access is the only other criteria I’m looking to meet.  I grew up at the base of the Sierra-Nevada’s & have spent over 70 nights between 7 & 11,000 feet in February, solo, so I’m no novice camper. Ive camped where the Donner party got stuck & resorted to the last resort. I shouldn’t have to say this but it’s 22; as an Eagle Scout I practice “leave no trace” & pick up random trash daily. I will not be hunting unless I see squirrels or rabbits to feed to the dogs. My mom & my grandma are dying & I absolutely have to decompress & find some peace before dealing with family & funerals. Any tips or contacts appreciated. Tristartradesmen.com has a brief bio for context & some personal info. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is going to be a tough one in Tennessee. Lots of great trails, hikes, and developed campgrounds but there are just not that much expansive public land without restrictions. The ratio of private to public land is just not conducive to really remote dispersed/primitive camping and trails here. Out west you have a lot of BLM land that works better for that. 

WMA land is not a great idea right now with fall turkey and deer season starting up. Plus camping on WMA land is by permit with restrictions including no carry, even if licensed, unless on a hunt. 

Great Smokey Mountains National Park land is out since no pets/dogs are allowed, no fires other than in designated camps in existing fire rings, and no motorized vehicles in the backcountry allowed. Big South Fork is also probably out since they have leash requirements everywhere in the park including back country. Cumberland Gap has lots of backcountry options but they are established sites that require a reservation. I am pretty sure you can do day of or day before as traffic is not high but it is still probably not what you are looking for. 

I know that David Crockett State Park, Montgomery Bell State Park, Bledsoe Creek State Park, Cedars of Lebanon State Park, and Henry Horton State Park have primitive sites but most are a not that remote and some are hike in only so you would not be able to get a vehicle to anything other than the developed (and sometimes crowded) tent and RV campground sites. Pretty much any state park is going to have leash requirements. I know I have been out hiking at Henry Horton and seen off leash dogs so it is not always enforced but it is policy. 

I don't think I have backpacked, camped, or hiked anywhere in Tennessee that I did not see another person or group during my trip. Some places and times are busy, some are not but even off season or off peak I typically see others. I don't think I have had a truly isolated backpacking trip since Bankhead National Forrest in the early 90's down in Alabama. Went 6 days without seeing another soul other than my hiking partner.

Good luck in your search but you may have to put some miles under the tires to find anything truly remote. 

(side note: with current drought conditions there are going to be be some restrictions on open fires in many locations as well. No real rain in the forecast for most of October either so that is not likely to improve.)

Been a while since I was last there, but Ft. Pillow has, or at least had, One hike in camp site. No road, you gotta backpack it About 2.5-3 miles IIRC. Almost nobody uses it. I've never seen anyone camp there. 

Nice campsite. Near the river if you don't mind the sound of tow boats at night. It does have a fire pit and an outhouse. 😉

• Admin Team

It’s super dry.  Solid fire management is a must - and if anything is going to draw attention it’s going to be that.

Over the last couple of years, the places that I’ve seen the fewest people have been by canoe or kayak.  The Green River travels 17 miles through Mammoth Cane National Park is almost empty.  They’ll give you a permit to camp along the river. In all the times I’ve camped it, I’ve seen another group (3 boats) exactly once.

I’ve also done a lot of paddling on the Sipsey River that flows into Smith Lake.  Water is likely low in the headwaters this time of year - but I’ve never seen someone on the upper half of that river. Likewise, it’s national forest, so you camp along the river. 

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Google the Nemo area in East Tennessee near the Wartburg, TN area.  There is a small campground near the river there.  It's rough, rocky, and quiet there during the week. 

I'ma thinkin it's Rock Creek campground.  I used to do lots of train watching there at the tunnel.

leroy...

Edited by leroy