Strong opinion either way on the Savage Axis rifles?

Darrell

For some reason I don't have a rifle chambered in .243. (Well, I do have an RPR in 6mm Creedmore, which I like a LOT.)  I see that Rural King sells a Savage Axis combo, with a scope, for a touch under $400.  For that price it might be worth buying one just to see what I think of the cartridge. What are your experiences with the Savage Axis rifles. The RK version doesn't have the accutrigger, but I think that's okay. 

I got one for my Daughter's boyfriend. I ordered a trigger kit for and the trigger is 100x better. It's in 6.5 creedmoor. 

It feels cheap compared to what I shoot. It is also a solid 1/2 moa gun if you shoot 3 shot hunting groups. His was $359 with the scope. I think it's worth the money. 

• Like 3

From everything I've heard the accutrigger is worth it. Mine has it and it is pretty good.

Barring that, the Axis line just works and is reasonably accurate. I've been having some trouble sourcing an additional mag though.

The scope, at least on mine, is serviceable but has poor eye relief. Bushnell Banner branded although I don't think that goes for all the Axis line. It wouldn't be worth paying extra for in my opinion, and if your options were the scope kit or the accutrigger, I'd recommend the trigger.

Overall there's a lot of competition in the budget category but the Axis seems to be among the better ones. If you wanted to step up, the Ruger American is a better rifle but usually at least 50% more expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will be hard pressed to beat the accuracy and reliability of Savage rifles straight out of the box without spending >2x or more. I bought an Axis in 6.5 CM a couple of years ago when Walmart was getting rid of them for less than $200 and it is a great gun. First thing I did was replace the cheap Weaver scope that came with it.  It shoots about 1 moa with factory ammo and about 1/2 moa with handloads. It is lighter and the stock feels cheaper than my other Savage rifles, but it still performs.

• Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...

The Axis II is the better rifle. Has the Better Trigger and a little more accurate. I have the first offering AX 1, one in 308 and 7MM 08. Both are serviceable and reliable rifles. Don't expect it to be a 110 because it is not, but well worth the money. Will take anything the caliber will allow. I really like mine. 

• Like 1

My grandson took a doe last year with the one (Axis I 308) I gave him last fall. I like 308 because it is one you can always find ammo for anywhere rifle ammo is sold. I will say I am old school 30 06 man also. Elmer Keith said the 06 was the most versatile rifle of his time. My dad had an 06 and a lever 243 we hunted with for all my younger years before I took "My Senior Trip" to Southeast Asia in 1967/68.

I guess Elmer would be amazed with today offerings. 

Edited to add content

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, pop pop said:

My grandson took a doe last year with the one (Axis I 308) I gave him last fall. I like 308 because it is one you can always find ammo for anywhere rifle ammo is sold. I will say I am old school 30 06 man also. Elmer Keith said the 06 was the most versatile rifle of his time. My dad had an 06 and a lever 243 we hunted with for all my younger years before I took "My Senior Trip" to Southeast Asia in 1967/68.

I guess Elmer would be amazed with today offerings. 

Edited to add content

Yeah, I’ve always liked 3006.I guess because that’s what I started out with.But I like anything 30 caliber, I got several 3006, .308 and 7.62x39

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I did, in fact, buy a .243 rifle, but I bought a Ruger #1 instead of the Savage. Heck, it was only about a thousand dollars more! I like the rifle, though, and have put about 20 rounds through it in the nine or so months I've owned it.  I now have four Ruger #1 rifles, so I suppose I should admit that I really like them.,

• Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I had an Axis in 30-06 for a few years and put maybe 50 rounds through it.    It wasn't inaccurate, but it wasn't anything to write home about either.   In the end I decided I would rather put the 30-06 through rifles I enjoyed more, so I moved it along.   If it was all I had, I could certainly live with it.

CNC machining and synthetic stocks have made all rifles accurate.  Everything is straighter, squarer, and to finer tolerances than the old stuff. 

The older handmade stuff is far more beautiful.  It just ain't necessarily more accurate. 

Pick out the one ya like, they all work very well.

leroy...

• Like 3

I had a lot of mil-surp .308 ammo laying around that I didn’t want to damage a “nicer” rifle so I bought an axis II and mounted an Athlon argos 6-24x50. I love that setup. The accuracy and consistency is better than I imagined and to be honest the rifle is much more accurate I am.  This budget build was a great investment that gets the job done. 

• Like 3