Squirrel Hunting Murfreesboro Area

Looking for an area to do some old fashioned type squirrel hunting in. If you have squirrel hunting woods in the area and would allow me to hunt in your woods, or join you for a hunt, just let me know. I'm a senior citizen (old guy) and grew up hunting and respecting others property. I enjoy still hunting and just being in the woods. I grew up on a farm as a kid. With the irresponsibility I've heard about some of today's hunters, I imagine it's a long shot that anyone will reply. Can't say that I blame you. If you do, I look forward to meeting a new friend and doing a little squirrel hunting.

I don't have a place of my own, and likely don't have the time to get out for a squirrel hunt, but Cedar Forest on the West Side of Highway 231 right across from Cedars of Lebanon State Park would give you access to about 2500 mostly wooded acres just a short drive from Murfreesboro.  If you aren't familiar with the area, you can park along the access road and walk in wherever you like. Most of the roads loop back into the main road.  It is mentioned in the TWRA hunting guide, but difficult to find information about what type of permits are needed.  The link given in the regulation guide does not work.  I did find a contact number for Richard Saltsman, who is listed on the state website as the public contact for Cedar Forest good phone number is 615-443-2768 and his email is Richard.Saltzman@tn.gov. He should be about to tell you exactly what is required. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I don't have a place of my own, and likely don't have the time to get out for a squirrel hunt, but Cedar Forest on the West Side of Highway 231 right across from Cedars of Lebanon State Park would give you access to about 2500 mostly wooded acres just a short drive from Murfreesboro.  If you aren't familiar with the area, you can park along the access road and walk in wherever you like. Most of the roads loop back into the main road.  It is mentioned in the TWRA hunting guide, but difficult to find information about what type of permits are needed.  The link given in the regulation guide does not work.  I did find a contact number for Richard Saltsman, who is listed on the state website as the public contact for Cedar Forest good phone number is 615-443-2768 and his email is Richard.Saltzman@tn.gov. He should be about to tell you exactly what is required. 

10-Ring, thank you so much for that information. I will contact Mr Saltzman. Any idea if it's a pretty safe place to hunt alone, or should a person double up for the hunt? Thanks again.

17 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

10-Ring, thank you so much for that information. I will contact Mr Saltzman. Any idea if it's a pretty safe place to hunt alone, or should a person double up for the hunt? Thanks again.

I've done a good bit of hiking out there and hunted it 20 plus years ago. I would consider it to be pretty safe. There is decent cell coverage throughout the park. Worse comes to worse. You're a phone call away from help that should get there quickly.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I've done a good bit of hiking out there and hunted it 20 plus years ago. I would consider it to be pretty safe. There is decent cell coverage throughout the park. Worse comes to worse. You're a phone call away from help that should get there quickly.

10-Ring thank you.

• 2 months later...