Fishing Rod/Reel Recommendations?

I know we have some fishermen here so I figured I would tap into some knowledge related to a good "value" rod and reels.   I haven't fished in quite a while, but am going to try and start back a bit.  I am looking for any recommendations on quality reel(s) and rod(s).   I will probably pick up a couple.

I am a believer in "value" meaning I don't mind spending more money for a better quality product.  It's simply a price/quality decision within reason.  No set budget and to be honest, I don't even know what a good reel costs nowdays.  Mainly fresh water fishing for bass, crappie, etc.  

Thanks.

• Admin Team

I would probably fish every day if I could. I don’t know how long it would take me to get tired of it - but it would be a minute.

As the flow of my family life goes right now, I’ll spend around 20 days on the water this year.  That’s a combination of saltwater (mostly surf with some inshore stuff thrown in), panfishing with whatever kids want to go, and a few days most years trout fishing.

My enthusiasm far exceeds my expertise - so take this advice accordingly.

As far as rods go, I’ve never been disappointed by St. Croix. I’ve got a few high end ones, and plenty of their value line ones. Their warranty is second to none.   They made a lifetime customer out of me years ago when I walked into a tackle shop on vacation to replace a broken rod. I was way out of balance fishing with a higher test line than should have been on that rod.  I hooked into something big - and the rod immediately shattered into a dozen pieces. I was going to buy a new rod - but the employee saw I was replacing a St. Croix rod and just said, “give us the pieces and get another one off the shelf - that’s what the warrant is for - and we know they’ll make us whole on it.”

If I could only buy one not to expensive, do most everything rod, I’d buy a 6.5 or 7 foot medium fast rod in their Triumph series.  Probably $100 out the door.

As to reels, I’m picky.  I want a reel that will perform in freshwater, but won’t complain if I walk out into the surf with it and cast for ladyfish and Spanish mackerel all afternoon.

In that regard, the Penn Slammer III and now the Slammer IV are my hands down choice.  In a 2500 size, they’re not the cheapest reel - they’re around $150.  But, so long as you rinse them off after coming out of the surf and generally take care of them, they’ll last forever.  They’re IPX6 sealed, and all the stuff you care about is stainless or brass.  They’ve got enough drag to handle big bull reds, and are light enough to not wear you out casting all day.

Add in a good braided line and some fluorocarbon leader and you’re good to go anywhere.

if you’ve got specific scenarios you’re fishing, let me know and we can dial that in. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mac, that's the exact kind of feedback I was looking for.  I don't mind spending that much for a couple of rods/reels that I know will last.

If I can ever get my house sold, I will be moving to Tim's Ford so it will mostly be lake fishing, but I do go to the beach every now and then.  Nice to know they can handle periodically without issue.

Anything Orvis is good stuff. St. Croissant is very good equipment. I have spoiled myself over the years and invested in Sage. Its,  IMHO, some of the best made. I have fished the Kenai in Alaska, the Yellowstone in Wyoming and love fly fishing. My son and brother both live in Alaska and I’m retired FedEx, so my travel and lodging is really inexpensive. If I’m on the water, I’ve got a fly rod with me. It’s all my grandfather would let me use when fishing with him. If your gonna stay with it, spoil yourself. 

I’ve been in the brown water a bit this evening so I hope I’m making sense. 

• Like 1

Best value in reels in my opinion is Pflueger. Just skip the low end Trion line. I have 7 or 8 of the President and Supreme series and they are all rock solid and smooth. Never had any issue out of them. 
I do have Penn stuff I use in the salt, primarily surf casting, all solid as well. Side note Penn and Pflueger are both owned by Pure Fishing (and Shakespeare following the merge). 

My rods are all over the place so I can't offer a lot of help on them. Some I bought new, some I have because I found a killer deal on them used. I do have some older Penn Fierce stuff for salt. I have some Okuma and Trout Magnet SLS ultralight stuff that is solid. I have some St. Croix, Abu Garcia Vengence (low to mid range rod), and some Lew's. I have some Diawa and Okuma travel rods as well. I do not have any complaints about any of it. If it is a known quality brand and not their bottom of the line offering it is going to be solid in most respects. It is more about picking the weight, length, and action to match your target, conditions, and bait type. Probably my least favorite rod is the Abu Garcia but even it is not "bad", it just has a little less "feel" then other offerings. 

For fresh water I lean toward the ultralight stuff more than the heavy or fast work covering lots of water like the bass guys tend to do. That is mostly because I Kayak, wade, and shore fish almost exclusively. I am just fine catching pan/sun fish or trout on 2lb line especially when I am catching 10 to every 1 of the 2+ lb bass a bass fisherman might catch. I do like a good smallie fight though. 
I have even lightened up my surf and salt gear a bit. Now it is rare that I use anything over a 2500 size reel when casting bays or intercostals flats for reds. I even run 2500's and 3000's in the surf for pompano. That goes a bit against the conventional wisdom of 4000 and 5000 size reels with 30 ~ 50 lb line but it has never stopped me from catching fish successfully. 

Just renewed my Florida annual and am itching to get back down for a trip. I have not fished nearly enough this year, there or here at home. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

My favorite surf setup is an 8’ St. Croix Avid inshore rod matched to a Penn Slammer III.  I run 15lb. braid.  It’ll catch anything in the surf. 

I do run 8’ St. Croix Mojo Surf rods when I’m just fishing from shore. I run the same reel on those.  The 2500 size will hold right at 300M of 15lb. braid.

I’ve got a couple of older Penn Spinfisher reels.  I’ve got some that are 25 years old and still running strong.  I’d recommend them to anyone. 

I love the Stradic CI4 reels as well.  I’ll use them in freshwater.  They’re so smooth.  But despite what shimano will tell you, they’re too delicate for saltwater. 

As my normal planning goes (meaning no planning), going on a short trip this weekend near Chattanooga and asked the question too late to get the Penn reel, but Bass Pro down there has a St. Croix Premier Series M/F 7' rod and I am getting a Shimano Vanford 2500 to use with it.  Should be a nice combo from the reviews.

I will end up with one more so will order the Penn reel and decide on what other rod once I use this one a bit.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I like Pflueger supreme spinning reels and Lews Speed Spool and Tournament casting reels.  I use shimano cumara casting rods and daiwa spinning rods for the most part.  With rods, you really need to pick it up and feel it.  Not something I would buy online unless I was familiar with them and knew what I was buying.  I have bought allot of discontinued rods and reels on ebay for killer prices.  

• 7 months later...

I normally Fly fish (Orvis clearwater with echo reel)

But i just bought a little spinning rods for bass and bluegill pond hopping...It was around $100 and has been fantastic so far. 

Diawa Regal LT 2000

Defy Silver 7" Rod

Been using lots of beetle spins this year