6.5 PRC barrel life ??

SmokyBaer

After a health related sell off and some trimming of a couple safe queens, i've got the hots for something new.  The 6.5 PRC rifles have got my attention for some long range target banging.  Accuracy can be had from several makes but my one big issue is barrel life.  One of my buds said it's a barrel burner and after a bit of googling, he's not far off.  

I'm seeing reports of accuracy loss at 12-1500 rounds.  Granted, for an occasional shooter that's a lifetime.  Box a week would only be two years max then it's a tent stake.  Not a great trade there.

Any of you have experience with the PRCs ?

Smoky  🤠

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIBLE BULLETS  👍

Very good points.

Was looking at the 2020 Waypoint which has a lifetime warranty thus JUST rebarrel whenever it needs one.  The cost is a lot more than a Bergara so there is a trade off.  Still not turned off of the PRC enough to consider something else.  Will keep looking at diffrent makes.  All suggestions considered. 

Thanks,
Smoky

-----------------------------------------

BIBLE BULLETS   👍

Couple of quick questions? 

What do you consider long range? 

And if it's purely for target knocking & you'll be dialing anyway, why go for such a fast chambering? It does nothing the Creedmore (🤮) doesn't, at the added expense of quicker throat erosion.

• Like 1

if you are talking PRS / Benchrest / or just long range target style shooting 6mm is the hot ticket. Several chamberings available with good barrel life and great ballistics. Has a virtually endless variety/inventory of .243/6mm projectiles from ~60 gr to ~110 gr as well. 

I don't have experience with 6.5 PRC but have run a bunch of .300 PRC. While I am sure it makes a great hunting round it would not be my pick for precision target shooting ~1000 yards. 

Long range for me used to be 3-400 yards.  These days I have access to 1200 but I'll be doing good to group well at 800.  My 500 yard groups aint bad lately with my 308 but it is gonna run out of steam past 600.

Since I'm looking at adding a caliber to the herd, I was looking at more than just target.  Something big enough for elk at 300.  

2 hours ago, SmokyBaer said:

Long range for me used to be 3-400 yards.  These days I have access to 1200 but I'll be doing good to group well at 800.  My 500 yard groups aint bad lately with my 308 but it is gonna run out of steam past 600.

Since I'm looking at adding a caliber to the herd, I was looking at more than just target.  Something big enough for elk at 300.  

Yeah, in your situation i would 100% go another way. Honestly, as vanilla as it is, a .30-06 will do all of that. .300WM/WSM the same but a bit quicker.

Here's an incomplete list of chamberings that'll do everything you need without killing your barrel in a year (deep breath......)

.270 (wsm/rsaum), .280, .280AI, 6.8 Western, 7-08, 7 mag (wsm/rsaum), .30-06, .300 mag (wsm/rsaum) 6CM, 6.5CM (🤮) .260, 6.5X55, .284, 7X57.......etc.

Pick the right bullet & they'll all work admirably. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

Couple of quick questions? 

What do you consider long range? 

And if it's purely for target knocking & you'll be dialing anyway, why go for such a fast chambering? It does nothing the Creedmore (🤮) doesn't, at the added expense of quicker throat erosion.

I reckon that, deep deep down, you secretly hanker for a 6.5CM. First step to freedom is admitting it to yourself! 😜

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mike1000 said:

I reckon that, deep deep down, you secretly hanker for a 6.5CM. First step to freedom is admitting it to yourself! 😜

Maybe....   I do know the 65 Creedmore doesn't get me anything my dear 308s can't do right now unless considering a bit less drop past 600 yards.  Ever since selling my 8mm mag decades ago, i been wanting a laser beamer that don't kill on both ends of the rifle.  It's suppose to be fun.  

The 65 PRC has more juice at 1000 and about the same recoil as my 308 so by the charts, maybe i am subconsciously drawn to it.  Short action too.  BIG downside is ammo availability but just have to watch closely for some to show up.  Two bucks a pop will slow down the barrel wear too.  Only money tho, right?

Anyways, don't need another 308 so looking at options.  Most of the youtubers talk big on the PRCs so figured to have a look around before plunking down green based on a shill's advice.  Just stirring up real conversation amongst us end users.

Smoky

--------------------------------------

BIBLE BULLETS   👍

• Like 1

I had a 6.5 prc and really wasn't super impressed with it, you can get 6.5 CM close if you handload. I prefer a 300wm over the 6.5prc anyday, recoil didn't seem to much different between them imo. The cost of the ammo is just stupid as well. But your results may be different as there are people out there that like it.

• Like 1

Your welcome, and to be honest when I shoot out this 300wm barrel I am going to rebarrel it in 300 prc, as it seems to be more suited for heavier ie.. 230gr bullets vs a 300wm. But for now I am happy with it pushing a 200.2 berger at almost 3000fps.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great thought starters.  After looking at more ballistics, i found the 6.5 PRC is almost identical to the age old 270 winchester.   Even bullet weights mirror at 143 versus 145 gr. although the coefficients are slightly different.

Think i'm gonna wait for the 7 PRC rifles to come on out.
Thanks for all the input.

Smoky

--------------------------------------
BIBLE BULLETS   👍