TWRA land?

titan14

Not sure if this is in the right place or not....but, here it goes anyway....I do some fishing on Cherokee lake....I am having trouble finding a place to shoot....does anyone know if you can shoot firearms on TWRA property legally? There are several islands on Cherokee that would be safe to shoot on, but, i dont want any trouble with the boys in green. Anybody have any knowledge on this?.....thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mark_justmark

I don't know about Cherokee lake but on the TWRA land that runs along a river by our house, I was told by the police (who called the regional TWRA office in this particular county to verify) that TWRA allowed people to shoot on that particular land as long as they were 400 feet from occupied buildings, houses, etc.

So I guess you should call your TWRA regional office since I "kind of" heard each one "kind of" operates as they "kind of" want to?

Edited by mark_justmark

I have heard rumors of guys out ATVing while carrying concealed and being fined by TWRA for having a weapon on TWRA land. It has something to do with the caliber of the weapon and if it is hunting season as well. I don't know for sure myself.

There's some land in Campbell county that is managed by the TWRA (Royal Blue) that is both hunted and used by ATV riders nearly year round. I personally would like to get to the bottom of this and figure out if I can carry in there legally or not.

I have heard rumors of guys out ATVing while carrying concealed and being fined by TWRA for having a weapon on TWRA land. It has something to do with the caliber of the weapon and if it is hunting season as well. I don't know for sure myself.

There's some land in Campbell county that is managed by the TWRA (Royal Blue) that is both hunted and used by ATV riders nearly year round. I personally would like to get to the bottom of this and figure out if I can carry in there legally or not.

I hear ya Ben......its kind of a "grey" area...I sure dont wanna get harrassed, much less fined or jailed.......ohhhhh how i LOVE our laws on weapons in this country!!!!!!!!!!........grrrrrrrrr

Guest Patty

The only legal place to shoot on TWRA land are those with the shooting ranges. There are several around the state. So don't just shoot anywhere else. And be sure to buy the permit to support the TWRA also.

Guest Rando
Call you State Rep. and get them to get an official answer in writeing from TWRA. Ask them whats the difference in state land and a lake? Btw, you can carry on the lake!

By on the lake do you mean while on a four wheeler or vehicle or in a boat, as I read the rules you could not boat on a TVA lake with a weapon. I don't really know why it would matter other than they are woriied about a shoot out for the good fishing spots when some of these b*******s (as one of my cuz's call )them run in on you. I do know all about the rude ones on the lake I fished bass tourneys for a lot of years and won my share but the hassle just got to be to much.