What is the ultimate end all be all revolver in 38/357 ?

tercel89

On 10/28/2022 at 11:17 AM, Garufa said:

S&W Model 13 or 65 if you like stainless.

Mista Garufa answered this one early in the thread.  The best handling double action revolver ever built is the " K " frame Smith.   We have several, including the unusual 3 inch round butt heavy barrel Model 13 variant.  Nothing better for revolver carry. Nothing faster double action.

If ya prefer single actions; nothing better than an older Ruger 357 Blackhawk, the original flat tops bein the best.

leroy...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As stated earlier, it’s hard to beat a Smith model 13 with a 3” barrel.  65’s are nice also, but the blue just speaks!  All business, and the last FBI issued revolver, it’s hard to argue with.

Beyond that, any of the L-frames, but one of the rare 7-shot 586 Smiths is a really nice revolver if you can find one.  L-frame, 7 rounds, round butt and available with a 4 inch barrel.  It’s a nice piece if you can stand the internal lock.

And, of course, the pre-80 Pythons.

Those are my top suggestions.  Never had a chance to handle a Korth or Manuhrin, but I’d like to.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Anytime I hear revolver i immediately think COLT Single Action Army.grab one with Ivory grips for $8-10k and don’t look back. 

if your like myself and a bit more practical there are many reproductions priced well below $1K. 

I like single action revolvers. If I want double action I will just grab a semiautomatic pistol. 

• Thanks 1
On 11/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, Quavodus said:

My 2" Taurus 605 is way brutal. I've shot .44 magnums that are more fun. I've got a 6" Securuty Six, and it's a great old gun. They should still make them. Built like a tank.

I can attest to this! I've had a Taurus 605 revolver for years, for about the first box of ammo was with the factory wood grips...it was brutal. Changed the grips to a set of Hogue and it helped immensely.

At one time Taurus had a deal going that they would port the barrel and do an action job for $50.00, I couldn't resist. When I got the revolver back I was literally stunned. The porting did a lot to help tame the recoil and the action job they did was outstanding! That little 605 has a dbl & single action trigger that I would stack up to any revolver, absolutely like glass, I've owned Pythons that weren't as impressive.

• Like 2

I picked up my 2 inch Colt King Cobra a couple of weeks ago and thought it could not be topped,

today my  2 inch Kimber K6S came in and I have to say it is by far the nicest revolver I have ever handled.

The factory grips were too small for my hands, I knew this before buying it so I bought a set of the combat grips from Kimber.  Tim Thurner TT Gun leather is making me very nice Holster for it as I write this 

this revolver is truly one of the finest firearms I have ever seen I will change the sights out for night sights but in my opinion this is the best revolver in .357 Magnum currently for sale 

Edited by willis68
  • Like 1

I have the GP-100 and enjoy it a lot to shoot and occasionally carry…in my case though it was an easy decision as I won it in a raffle and after shooting it found I enjoyed it a lot and have kept it and will keep it.  

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of good recomendations and plenty of nice revolvers. I think it comes down to are you going to hunt compete and ccw this? If so I probably go with a 4” 686. Ruger would work too but I think the Smith can be quite a bit better in DA. 
Theres nothing magical about the Smith you can figure it out theres plenty of tutorials or books on them. I wouldnt worry about simplicity. 

I would really like the 8 shot 38Spl/357 Mag, with a 5" brl for a house gun. Just have a hard time pulling the trigger on a 1,000.00 + revolver. Gave my 681 to my grandson. What I get for offering him any gun of mine he wanted. That was my bedroom lamp stand gun at the time. I got a 357 7 shot Taurus now and a M P 9C 2.0 also. Always wanted the 8 shooter. Don't know if it would be the end all revolver for a revolver guy. I do love them much more than the plastic guns. 

• Like 1

Just to prove there is always that weirdo in the room, I’ll chime in here.  I’ve always enjoyed the 692 Tracker for it’s 7 round capacity & 9mm(yup)/.38/.357mag flexibility.  However, when I acquired my desert eagle in .357mag, it became my goto for not just a 10 round capacity, but the fact that those 10 rounds have far less recoil or barrel lift than even a glock 19. Hey the bolt inside the action “revolves” right?

35D4A0E3-CA72-4753-B4C7-D8D0C6564270.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My old, well worn 4” Smith and Wesson Highway Patrolman sure puts a smile on my face when I squeeze the trigger. It certainly isn’t a conceal carry piece though. Its weight tames full house magnum loads, but still lets you know you’re shooting a real gun. The action of a pinned and recessed N frame is a hard thing to improve upon. It’s like a large 22 when shooting 38 Special wadcutter target loads. The accuracy of the old Smiths is only limited by the shooter’s ability.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Back in the day when I got my first LEO job no one could afford the Pythons so we all went to the 686 since it was affordable and still looked good in a patent leather holster but wish I would have bought a Python sooner. My vote is for the Python in just about any barrel length but I’ve still got an original 686 boxed. 

Edited by KDWforGUNS
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, KDWforGUNS said:

Back in the day when I got my first LEO job no one could afford the Pythons so we all went to the 686 since it was affordable and still looked good in a patent leather holster but wish I would have bought a Python sooner. My vote is for the Python in just about any barrel length but I’ve still got an original 686 boxed. 

As I posted earlier in this thread, my Python is unquestionably my favorite .357.  But, that being said, my Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is mighty fine, too.

• Like 1

In the 1980s, I was active in shooting along with LEOs in my town.  I purchased a Colt Trooper from an Officer who was retiring.  I guess my inventory is quite outdated but to my eyes, they are beautiful.  

Although not shown, I added ergonomic competition grips which helped my scores significantly.  This is my wife's favorite firearm at the range.

image.jpeg.caad0dec29117b0bf07dc35fd56a7730.jpeg

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Lroszkow said:

In the 1980s, I was active in shooting along with LEOs in my town.  I purchased a Colt Trooper from an Officer who was retiring.  I guess my inventory is quite outdated but to my eyes, they are beautiful.  

Although not shown, I added ergonomic competition grips which helped my scores significantly.  This is my wife's favorite firearm at the range.

image.jpeg.caad0dec29117b0bf07dc35fd56a7730.jpeg

Beautiful revolver!

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...