Ruger LCP Max 9

pop pop

Really thinking about a new Ruger LCP Max 9. Seen one last week at Pigeon Forge. Like the double stack magazine and 12 + 1 shot compacity. It is pocket size, but just barely. In fact, may be a tad large. I like the LCP line and it has been a good seller for Ruger. The Max 9 double stack fills my hand and has been out long enough for them to get the bugs, out I hope.

Any of you have any dealings with this particular model pistol? 

I got mine last month.  It has the Crimson Trace CT1550 reddot on it and I couldn't be happier! The iron sights co-witness well with it!  The front night sight is easy to pick up in low light. I think the trigger is as good as the LC9S (cause it's the same trigger) and has no pinch like my LCP Max does.  So far it's been flawless with 115FMJ and 147JHPs. I profess that I do not pocket carry it (it's a bit big for my likes in that regard), but it rides and conceals well on my belt with either IWB or OWB great!  Extra mags are best purchased directly from Ruger.

I briefly had one.  it went back to Ruger. Worked fine upon return. 

Sorry if that is someone’s favorite  Think there are better choices for myself

Edit:  lcp ii is one of my carry weapons and it is just fine  

Edited by JustEd
7 hours ago, Choatecav said:

I have used the regular LCP for years and I am very pleased with all aspects.  Cannot comment on the LCP Max but the double stack, while nice, would add width which negates one of my favorite features of the basic LCP.  

Just my 2 cents........

I owned the LCP and I now own a LCP Max (.380 acp). It's true that the Max grip is wider, but the increase is negligible, but the additional 5 rounds (in 12 round mag) is not. The trigger is much better too. It's zero issues. I couldn't say that about the LCP.  The LCP Max became my favorite carry pistol, until I bought the LCP Max 9. I still carry it on occasion, when I need to go lighter.

Of course the OP was asking about the LCP Max 9. which is a larger version of the LCP MAX in 9mm. 🙂  

• Like 2
On 11/5/2022 at 1:54 PM, pop pop said:

Bought one yesterday. like the size and have run several rounds through it yesterday afternoon. Shoots to aim and good sights on it. Going to run more through it at a later date.

Are you planning on adding a reddot on it later on?  One of the reasons I bought this one was to try out a reddot sight, which this one came with.  Been very happy with it so far!  This came with the Crimson Trace CT1550.  I find it very easy to pick up and the iron sights co-witness nicely with it as well. 

Next thing to pick up is a holster.  I have two I use as stop gaps, but I'm looking for a nice paddle holster for it.

I got the LCP II in .22 and the LCP Max in .380, and BOTH needed to go home to the mothership; the .22 just so it would run with ANYTHING, and the .380 because it was shooting about 5" low at 20'. The .22 now runs most ammo (which is typical for any .22) and is 100% with Punch and Velocitors. The .380 is only an inch or so low at 20' now, so 'good enough', I suppose.

The .380 also got an aftermarket trigger, since the OEM slapped worse than my AK, and that's saying something. Fair-to-OK with the aftermarket trigger kit now.

I like them both-great form factors and profiles, and tiny for their calibers-but don't feel like you could buy a current Ruger and run it out of the box without some very thorough testing. Ruger can make a good gun, but it seems like it takes them two tries to do so...

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the Max 9 for a while now. Have run about 400 practice rounds through it (Win W B 115 gr RN) and 60 rounds of Winchester Defender 147 Gr + P Hp through it. I have plans of carrying this round for S D. It has been flawless. I allowed my grandson and son in law fire about 75 rounds through it at Thanksgiving. Have had no issues with it. It is very accurate and shoots to sights at 25 ft off hand. I really like the iron sight green pipe front sight. Easy to see for old eyes during the day. 

I have been pocket carrying it to church and around in dress clothes. It is flat and the 2 different mag sizes adjust well to different front pocket sizes. One magazine holds 10 and the other 12 rounds. Tighter pockets gets the 10 rounder and larger the other. I am using a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, and it works well. 

I like the Ruger Max 9 and believe it will become my preferred church gun. Do like the 13 rounds on board. Does not hurt that I shoot it well. For IWB I have a SW MP 9C 2.0 9 MM for a larger choice. Also using the Winchester 147 Gr + P ammo in it for S D. The max 9 works well with the MP setup.

I like Ruger firearms. 

Edited to add; The Winchester 147 gr hits my steel targets hard. Really pings them better than any S D Ammo I have on hand. Hard hitting round. 

Edited by pop pop
add content
  • Like 3

My Max 9 has become my main carry. The only other pistol I still carry from time to time, is it's little cousin the LCP Max in .380.  For the last two months, these are the only two I've carried.  I use a OWB 1791 leather holster, trimmed so the CT1550 RDS fits or a kydex paddle holster.  I will soon be getting a couple of better holsters for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Carried my Max 9 to church yesterday, the first day I have been back to church since my 4 stents were put in my veins around my heart on November 21st. Also, adult RSV is getting better. Had that since 21st also and still coughing.  Really like how the Ruger carries in my pocket holster. Have ran a few more rounds through it, but the days of running 500 to 1000 rounds through one to break it in is over for now. Not a cheap thing to do any longer. Still I guess I have about 475 rounds of practice and S D ammo through the Max 9 and it has been flawless. It is a good pistol, and I can say I really like it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, pop pop said:

Carried my Max 9 to church yesterday, the first day I have been back to church since my 4 stents were put in my veins around my heart on November 21st. Also, adult RSV is getting better. Had that since 21st also and still coughing.  Really like how the Ruger carries in my pocket holster. Have ran a few more rounds through it, but the days of running 500 to 1000 rounds through one to break it in is over for now. Not a cheap thing to do any longer. Still I guess I have about 475 rounds of practice and S D ammo through the Max 9 and it has been flawless. It is a good pistol, and I can say I really like it. 

Mine is on my hip now! 🙂 

I have both the LCP Max and the Ruger Max 9.  FWIW, I think they're both absolutely terrific.  I'll be selling some other guns on here soon, since I don't see their continuing need in terms of concealability, now that I have these options.  

And also in terms of effective firepower.  If you haven't looked into Federal's Hydra-Shok Deep ammo, and what's been tested and written about it, please take a look!.  Not just the basic Hydra-Shok, but the Deep.  

The FBI and other LE agencies soaked up this ammo for quite a while but now you can get it.  It's revolutionary.  A Federal HSD out of a .380 is actually respectable and immpressive.   Terrific in  the 9mm.   Crazy in .45.  Take a look.

Merry Christmas to all!

• Like 1