Liquidating a firearm collection

GooseGrim

Not sure this belongs here but does anyone have experience in liquidating collections? I’ve fallen on some financial hardships and can’t really afford to keep my collection anymore. I would prefer to get rid of everything (save for one or two items for personal protection) at once.

Understand that you will not likely bring as much per gun, selling them all as a lot (unless you happen to find a guy that also loves everything you are selling!), so you will end up trading dollars for convenience (probably)

Good luck with the sale, and you should also consider listing them here on TGO!

You could consign them to an auction house. They’ll come to your house and pick them up, photograph and describe them, handle sales, shipping and background checks, and present you with a check when all is said and done. Of course they’ll take a chunk of the money (30%?) but it’s the quickest/easiest way for you.

Powell Auction does a lot of them around the Knoxville area. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Moved thread to this more appropriate spot. The thread is fine as long as it stays on its very narrow focus. 

No discussion of what may be contained in said collection or offers to buy/sell any portion of it are allowed.

Depends a lot on just how many guns you plan to sell and how much you want for them.

Selling to  dealers is always a losing proposition. Especially if trying to sell in bulk. They will offer far less than they're worth because they have to resell at a profit. 

If around 10 or less and you want to sell locally, I suggest the forum here, other forums you may visit or Armslist. 

If its more than that, Consignments at a gun shop. especially one who does internet sales,  Gunbroker, etc can be the least troublesome, but will take a good sized chunk out of the profits and take time. 

The real key to selling quickly is to know what you paid and what you want out of them. For fast sales, I suggest allowing a reasonable profit over the purchase price, but still below current market. Don't make the mistake of going for maximum value on everything as that takes much longer to sell. High priced guns require you find just the right buyer. However, a good gun offered at a good price will often have non-buyers thinking "Hmm....maybe I should?"

Several years ago I liquidated the large collection of a good friend who had passed for his wife. I priced everything as mentioned because her goal was to simply sell fast and be done with them. Some I sold here, some on Armslist, but the bulk of it we took to the Gun Show in Jackson and rented tables. We took 98 guns to the show and came home with 13. She made a profit over what her husband paid on every one, but every buyer also got a bargain over the current prices.  It was a very profitable weekend.  😊

Just to add: If you choose to go that way, there's a gun show in Jackson Nov 12 & 13. Just over a week from now. I'm sure tables are still available. 😉

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Several years ago I liquidated the large collection of a good friend who had passed for his wife. I priced everything as mentioned because her goal was to simply sell fast and be done with them. Some I sold here, some on Armslist, but the bulk of it we took to the Gun Show in Jackson and rented tables. We took 98 guns to the show and came home with 13. She made a profit over what her husband paid on every one, but every buyer also got a bargain over the current prices.  It was a very profitable weekend.  😊

Just to add: If you choose to go that way, there's a gun show in Jackson Nov 12 & 13. Just over a week from now. I'm sure tables are still available. 😉

^^^
Sorry about your situation. 
Pretty much Gun show sounds like your best route. It will give best return on time for money with little more effort than running them to some one what to sell. 

Like grayfox said, you need to do your homework in pretty much every scenario unless 50 cents on the dollar is ok. Usually those wanting to sell in one lot are either unrealistic or have to be willing to accept greatly reduced value.

While many are curious to know what you have in the hopes of finding a gem or some undervalued items, selling anything online is 90% about pictures and curated wording. Huge time suck for what are typically bargain hunters. Exception being things that are rare or in demand, but expect to be asked to sell separately. 

Good luck

Big consideration is what the collection consists of.

Is the collection common everyday firearms or fine Colts, Winchesters, Parkers, etc?? This might have a bearing on how quickly you can liquidate.

I hope whatever your decision, gunshow, auction or here on TGO you reach your goal.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 1