Gotta share this with you.

Choatecav

Went to the Gun show here in Dickson today.  My expectations were pretty low as the shows have been showing more non-gun stuff and less guns for a few years now.  

It blew my mind when I came upon the "Holy Grail" of target .22 rifles.  That being a Winchester Model 52 with a bull barrel and a Marble - Goss peep sight.  According to the serial number, the rifle was made in 1931 which was the classic era and timeframe for their production.  Got it for an excellent price, too as the gentleman was selling it for his father-in-law and the owner told him what to price it at and that's where it stayed.

What makes this sweeter for me is that about 4 years ago, at the show in Murfreesboro, I found one of these "tack-drivers" for a much higher price and I tried to be "cute" and played a game of walking away to appear uninterested.  During my little game, another buyer swooped in and bought it.  I did find a good deal that same day on a Winchester 75, which is the little brother of the 52 but have kicked myself ever since.  So, this is scratching an itch I have had for a while.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my little rah-rah story.

Winchester model 52.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Nice find, but it doesn't appear to me to be a bull barrel.  The true bull barrels are almost the same diameter as the action itself.  Looks to be a heavy or even possibly standard barrel, but nice none the less.

Edited by Hozzie
5 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Nice find, but it doesn't appear to me to be a bull barrel.  The true bull barrels are almost the same diameter as the action itself.  Looks to be a heavy or even possibly standard barrel, but nice none the less.

Good eye and you're correct.  The paperwork that it came with said Bull but after research it is standard target which is .75" at end..  The Bull is .875" diameter at end of barrel.  Very cumbersome to carry but ridiculously accurate.  

Edited by Choatecav
  • Like 1