Good Place to Sell C&R Firearms in TN?

Howdy,

My dad passed last week, and I've been tasked with disposing of many of his C&R rifles that my brother and I, along with our adult children, just don't have room for. (We each got several of his firearms to keep for sentimental reasons, don't worry.)

My dad was a C&R holder for decades, and some of his stuff is frankly hard to even ID. I've figured out there's an Argentine Mauser, a K-31 Swiss straight-pull, a French MAS-36 (?) bolt action, a hex receiver Mosin and some others, along with ammo for most. There's a beautiful FN without so much as caliber markings.... <sigh>

I'm looking to find a dealer who'd be interested in these (preferably as a lot), as I'm trying to turn these into $$ for my mom in a reasonable time, and selling each individually to private individuals would probably take quite a while. Is there a dealer in the Crossville area or reasonably nearby who might be a good choice for these guns?

Appreciate any pointers-

Thanks,

Larry

Edited by larry1096

From reading your post it seems like you're at least reasonably familiar with firearms.  I think all of the guns you've mentioned would sell pretty quickly if priced attractively.  Maybe some obscure ones would go slowly, but I bet you could raise some money for your mom pretty quickly by posting them here.

My advice, and worth what you paid for it,

Whisper

• Like 1

Stop in to Tabor's Pawn Shop and talk to them. They do a pretty strong business there, and I've purchased a couple of used guns from them. I have no idea at all if they'd be interested, but if you're in Crossville it's not out of your way. Good luck.

• Like 1

https://tmcaonline.org/events.php

The TN Military Collectors show is just a couple of weeks away.  There will be 350 dealers there that deal is those type of firearms.  Not just military stuff but some other firearms that fit the C&R are there as well.  The Civil War Show is in December and it is the largest Civil War show in the country.  The CW show would also be a great place to talk to dealers.  I've seen dealers at both shows buy entire estate type collections.  I believe on C&R you can sell via private sell as long as you log the info and the buyer is same state.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-transfers-curio-or-relic-firearms-licensed-collectors-subject-nics-background-check

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-licensed-collectors-required-fill-out-atf-form-4473-transactions-curio-or-relic

• Like 3
7 hours ago, MikeW said:

https://tmcaonline.org/events.php

The TN Military Collectors show is just a couple of weeks away.  There will be 350 dealers there that deal is those type of firearms.  Not just military stuff but some other firearms that fit the C&R are there as well.  The Civil War Show is in December and it is the largest Civil War show in the country.  The CW show would also be a great place to talk to dealers.  I've seen dealers at both shows buy entire estate type collections.  I believe on C&R you can sell via private sell as long as you log the info and the buyer is same state.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-transfers-curio-or-relic-firearms-licensed-collectors-subject-nics-background-check

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-licensed-collectors-required-fill-out-atf-form-4473-transactions-curio-or-relic

I would echo this recommendation.  The CW show especially might match up to much of what you have.  It is in the Williamson Co. Ag center at intersection of I-65 and Peytonsville road.  It is first weekend of Dec.

• Like 1

I agree that a gun show is the best way to sell them all quickly. But be aware that there are quite a few Mil-Surp lovers on this site. So list some here as well. 

Did your father keep good records? Having a  C&R license, he is required to have a bound book somewhere. What it is, when it was bought and how much? Such records will be invaluable for pricing them now. 

Do your research. Very likely your father bought many of these when they were cheap and plentiful. Prices have gone up considerably as the supply has dropped. What were $79 SKSs and Mosins now sell for $300-400. Likewise, ammo that used to sell for $100 per 1000 has easily tripled in price. 

Check current prices. Odds are that you can price your stuff very attractively below current prices for a fast sale and still make a very nice profit. 😉

• Like 2

If you just want to dispose of them and not deal with too many hassles Powell Auction in Knoxville has regular firearms auctions.  

That being said, I’ve never put anything up with them for sale, and they do take a cut from you, but it’s something to consider.

• Like 1

Appreciate all the responses.

Yes, I know a bit about guns, but mostly post 1970, apparently. 🙂 Dad was into WWI and WWII stuff. 

I'll check out that show, although transporting these (there are about 15-20 that should end up for sale) will be a trick.

Larry

You really need to research what they all are and current values. Some of those old mil-surps that were dirt cheap 15 - 20 years ago are bringing very good money now. Some that are still common and inexpensive can bring premium prices with certain markings. You are only going to get .50/1.00 or less selling as a package deal. Way less if the dealer realizes you don't know much about what they are their values.

If I were closer, I wouldn't mind helping you identify and value them. I had a C&R up until about 8 years ago. I realize that my children and their spouses really have no interest in most of my old mil-surps. Recently I've been selling a few. Problem is there is not much of a collector market locally. I've sold most of the lesser value ones. What I have left are going to need to go to gunbroker or some other large market to realize their value.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Get a table or two. They aren't that expensive and you have a place to sit down. 😉

I am pretty sure the CW show has a dealer wait list. I know that the TN Military Collectors show does.  I have a table at the TN Mil Show and I know a couple of dealers well. At a show you may not be able to sell it all to one dealer, but sell everything to a couple that may want to split the group.   I mainly collect WWII Japanese, German, and US firearms.  

• Like 1

The link brings up what appears to be the whole collection. I must say, your Dad had good taste. 👍

I'm afraid I can't help on the FN. However, you may want to do some research on that Argentine Mauser. I'm no expert, but as I recall, it was popular to rechamber those to .308 Win and there was some doubt as to if the action was strong enough to handle it. I can't remember just how that turned out. 

Otherwise, you have some very good guns there and they should sell pretty quickly. 😉

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The link brings up what appears to be the whole collection. I must say, your Dad had good taste. 👍

I'm afraid I can't help on the FN. However, you may want to do some research on that Argentine Mauser. I'm no expert, but as I recall, it was popular to rechamber those to .308 Win and there was some doubt as to if the action was strong enough to handle it. I can't remember just how that turned out. 

Otherwise, you have some very good guns there and they should sell pretty quickly. 😉

I'm guessing it wasn't converted, because there's 7.5 (?) 'Argentine Mauser' factory ammo in his stash. Pops tended to hoard ammo for the weird ones, it's looking like.

Larry

• Like 1

I did gunbroker searches for recent completed auctions with bids (actually sold, not stupid asking prices). I just averaged prices in my head to get a range. A couple I had to just guess at because of no examples to compare.

These are retail prices on a popular nationwide website with collectors looking, so you may or may not be able to get as much locally. There may be details and markings I missed in the pics that could add or detract from values.

Also, remove the Finn and Russian Mosin Nagants from stocks and check the date stamped under the receiver tang. An1898 or earlier date stamp, regardless of date stamped on top of barrel, means it is considered an antique and not a modern firearm. It can legally be shipped to individuals without going through an FFL unless state law prohibits it (TN does not). This usually adds 20% or more to value.

Polish p64  $300 - 400

Bulgarian Makarov  $500 - 700

Czech CZ52  $350 - 500

Finn Sako m39  $600 - 900

Mosin Nagant 91/30 in m39 stock  ??  Best guess, $300 or so as it is. I think you would be best off to sell the m39 stock and 91/30 action separateIy. I believe the m39 stock complete with handguard and hardware would bring around $300 and the action should bring $150 - 200, possibly more if you part it out on ebay.

Polish m44  $500 - 700

French MAS 36  $700 - 900

Enfield No5 Mk1 missing parts   ??  Best guess $100. Take whatever is offered.

Swiss K31 with scope  $600 - 800 if clamp on mount and no finish or metal damage and no holes drilled.

Argentine 1891 carbine  $500 - 700

Mosin Nagant 91/59  $400 - 500

Enfield No4 Mk1  $500 - 700

Swiss K31  $600 - 800

Spanish FR8  $600 - 800

FN Belgian 1889 Sporter  ??  Best guess $300 - 400

Eddystone 1917  $600 - 1000

Edited by Gnarlytoes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Larry, I've had every one of those guns in my personal collection which I sold off years ago. 

I just wen through what you are going through with my stepfather, I just sold off his collection and he had everything you have except for the Enfield. 

The problem you'll have is most who were interested in those rifles are dying off or have died. 

They'll move but it will take effort. Selling as a lot to a collector or a dealer...you'll be selling at $.40 on the dollar. 

It will take you two or three months to sell off everything you have, take your time.

Also, disregard Gunbroker, don't even bother, don't even look at the prices. 

Inventory the ammo, if possible sell ammo and gun together locally, F2F. Some ammo is worth more than the rifle. 

The only thing I kept out of my collection were two of my desirable Mosins, I suggest you do too. 

I have an ad running right now with 2 CZ52s that I'd damn near give away for the right trade. Problem you have is most of the younger guys have no idea what they are looking at. 

Edited by LSMurphy
  • 2 weeks later...

Sir,

I would purchase the entire lot, as would many other folks. The thing is, I would not give you retail price for them. To get that, you must put n some time and effort in determining what that is and who you can find that would pay retail for each individual piece. If you have the time, that is where the money is. If you just want them gone, there are folks like me out there who would be willing to accommodate you.

• 1 month later...

If you have 20 or more pieces, check with Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms.

He buys collections of milsurps and will travel to do it, if large enough.

I have bought from him a few times and found him easy to deal with.

Understand that your maximum income would be from selling them yourself, at the expense of some time and effort.

Getting them unloaded quickly and/or all at once means another party will have to buy them at less than full value so they can also make a profit on the sale of them.

If it were me, I'd put one or two up for sale myself and see how it went before taking the 20-40% reduction for a quick bulk sale. Good guns sell themselves.

I'm new here but I my experience is that the people here or on any established gun/collector forum are more than happy to help people like yourself with info and resources.

Scrutinize closely all of the private messages you are likely already receiving from individuals. Most will deal fairly with you, while a few would gladly use your lack of knowledge and experience to their own benefit.

The prices that gnarlytoes posted all look good. Conditions and rare features can vary wildly, causing the broad spread on some values.

Condolences for your loss.

Jay