SA vs DA/SA

Love my 1911 - 110 years and only a few mods to J. B.'s design and it is still the most produced model in the world. 

When carrying, if one wants to be able to pull and be ready to fire, the 1911 MUST be cocked and locked. This adds one more step after drawing before it can fire.

The DA/SA (e.g. SIG P220 Elite or Legion) has a decocker. It can be carried ready to pull and fire in one step.

Another benefit is under stress (such as if you have to pull in self-defense), a twitchy finger may unintentionally fire the SA at 3-5 lbs. while the DA/SA (P220 with SRT) has a whopping 10+ lbs and long first pull, avoiding twitchy discharge. Afterwards the SRT goes into 3-5 lb mode with a much shorter pull.

TRAIN, train, train; practice, practice, practice. I do find this option of the P220  Elite (SRT model) safer and more efficient for pulling and firing than the 1911-style (which also has no decocker). Use a holster that covers the trigger well, protecting from accidental discharge with a round in the tube.

Also, the SIG is more accurate out of the box with a 4.4" bbl than the 1911 (both in 0.45).

I spent many hours comparing my two SIG 0.45s and, as I love the 1911, I reserve it for the range and use the P220 Elite for carry.

Both pistols are extremely reliable with proper ammo. SIG added an external extractor to the 1911 to avoid jams (they improve everything).

I had an all-stainless P220r-45-sse; it is a bit more controllable in rapid fire due to the added weight of all-SS. However, I do prefer the newer P220 Elite with alloy frame - it is much easier to carry; I barely feel it.

Any comments?

Jonny

Edited by JonnyBouy
Correction of DA trigger pull

As much as I love my 1911's and Sigs and CZ hammer guns, for carry I use several Kahrs.

Striker fired, and each trigger pull is the same DA but super smooth pull

P380 in summer, PM9 when I have more clothes on-lol.

Recently bought a Sig P365 (with safety) to carry and I'm just starting to transfer over to that. I'm figuring the extra rounds cant hurt. Its the same size as the PM9, and uses the same Crossbreed IWB holster.

• Like 1

I'm pretty happy with my current setup for EDC - Sig P-365 XL Spectre with a Holosun 507kx2 Green optic, though I'm thinking about changing the optic to the Holsun EPS Carry when the model I want becomes available.  I've carried a variety of sidearms over the years both professionally and privately.  My current setup is my best compromise between firepower and comfort with 12+1 in the gun with 17 rd mag backup. I've always been a .45ACP guy.  For a few years I carried a FNH FNP-45USG. 15+1 rounds or .45 ACPP goodness in a very very reliable package that feels so dang good in my hand.  I love 1911s and the FN possibly felt better and I felt safer carrying it.  Many times while carrying my 1911, I would discover at the end of the day, upon unholstering it that it had somehow come off safe during the day unbeknownst to me.  That scared me.  So when the FN came out I tried it and liked it.  Problem is that its a big heavy gun and the older and more frail (LOL) I got, the more pain it caused me to carry it.  That gun would eat any ammo, I swear it might eat 9mm and ,40 if I fed that to it, lmao.  Anyway, to cut to the chase, I tried the 365 but i couldn't hold onto it, it was too small, then the P-365XL Spectre (Non-com) came out and I picked one up and have been happy with that so far.  I could go with a smaller .45, I've even got one, a SA XDe, but with that i lose capacity.  SO 9mm is what it is and the Spectre is what I like at present.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 7:03 PM, m16ty said:

I love 1911s, but for everyday carry I much prefer a striker fired with no external safety. There is just less to go wrong when milliseconds matter. Consistent trigger pull and no external safety to deal with. 

Agree with this. Just train how you want to carry. Should be coming with you every single range trip. I find it helps to not mix them if you have multiple carry pistols too.

• Like 1